Melamine? Enamel? the best china?

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by jimothy, Apr 21, 2012.

1. jimothy

jimothy Read Only Funster

I'm just looking at kitting out the kitchen with some plates and bowls etc, and wondered what peoples opinions were of the various options?

I have fond memories of camping in my parents' trailer tent as a kid, of those white enamel plates with the blue rims, with matching mugs and bowls (which seem still available from amazon).

What do you use?

2. Jim

Jim Ringleader

China:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  3. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

Have to agree feels more civilised, and in my opinion things taste better

4. tofo

tofo Funster

£5;00 cheap china set from asda/tesco :thumb:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  5. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

I have been allowed two new plates. We have previously only used melamine (though china cups mugs always!) the two plates I bought are made by Arcopal, called Luminarc, and are plain white glass. Only twice the weight each of a melamine one. They have proved resilient. I will buy some more soon! Roughly a £1 per item (or even a euro abroad) and available in places like Cherry Lane here and loads of supermarkets in France and Spain.
    Jane :Smile:

You do not have to have white.... http://www.latabledarc.com/en/categories/tableware/dinner-plates.html?p=1

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  6. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

second vote for white glass Acropal ..

have a set of four dinner plates , side plates and cereal bowls plus a set of coffee cups..
    bought ours in a French supermarket .. they lasted 3 years full time in the RV.. now used at home .. brilliant .. :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  7. jimothy

oooo interesting call on the Arcopal stuff - looks nice, some cool designs.

8. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

we have both melamine and pottery...never use the melamine though, just there to stop the good stuff moving around. :Wink:

9. sedge

sedge Funster

You don't seem to see much of the thin 'Pyrex' Arcopal with the 'fluted' borders here these days, Jacksons of Old Arley used to have a huge selection that you could buy one bit at a time which I bought when we had a caravan on a site (a touring van but it only went from home to site in April and moved back home in October) and which we are still using most of in the MH. They do have a far better selection in French supermarkets though as has been said. Much more modern patterns than mine is now, mine's little blue flowers, dead pretty, but ....

I don't think we could have had mugs, I know I had cups and saucers but no idea what happened to them - so we have quite nice bone china mugs. I have had to make anti-rattle devices - who but a MH manufacturers would make SQUARE mug holders? - so I got some thinnish cardboard - in fact it was from the sides of one of the Gaslow cartons! and just bent it round inside the 2 mug racks. And I keep all the clean teatowels in the china cupboard and tuck then into the plate rack fore and aft the plates. I never run out - OK hand washing a teatowel is never as sucessful as a good old bashing in the machine when we get back, but they are sufficiently clean to tuck round clean crockery. Good soak in Vanish and let those enzymes do the work ROFL.

We also have what seems like far too much cutlery. I mean, do we actually need 6 of everything when there are only 2 of us? - but I can't abide only having enough cutlery, crockery or glassware for just the 2 of us, otherwise you don't have a fork to test the spuds with or something messier, without having to wash it up before you can eat. And its so antisocial - would you like a cuppa? I'll put the kettle on but could you bring me your cups? Scream! LOL :shout:

10. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

We have a set of arcopol plates and bowls in the van that must be over 20 tears old. pretty much indestructible despite the wife's best efforts to drop them or not pack the cupboard properly. In fact ours are as good as new still after all these years

So definitely recomended.:thumb:

11. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

Ours are plain white, thin with fluted edges, there were also squarish types, still thin. Cherry Lane (where we got ours) are, I believe, part of the QD group. Very cheap, about 99p to £1.29 a piece. As said before go in Carrefour or the like in France or Spain and there is a huge selection. If I needed crockery at home I know what I would buy now, they are a pleasure to use. Squares of that non slip matting (also used as table mats) between the plates etc when travelling keeps them quiet and safe :) Jane

12. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Am not too bothered about plates, but am a glass snob and will only drink from the correct glass for what am drinking. My coffee only from a glass mug and tea from china.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Geordie and the Dragon

Geordie and the Dragon Funster

Melamine? Enamel? the best china

I use Corelle or Corningware made in Usa extremely light, lovely designs,tuff, chip proof Etc available online from www.worldkitchen.co.uk :thumb:

14. Diabalo

Diabalo Funster

Paper, it saves on washing up:Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Only ever use china, can't do with the stains you get in melamine, had the ones we use now 7 years and no chips (touch wood)

• Like Like x 1
  16. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

we use both sorts

We use to use all China in the A class, but in the smaller B class we have a mix to keep down the weight.

Got some nice bits from J C Motorhomes .. big soup type bowls with shaped plates.

Bob

17. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

It has to be china for plates, bowls, but the finer stuff for drinking tea and coffee out of........can't drink from any of the glass mugs, like the Pyrex ones that are around, aarrrgghhh, awful! Tea and coffee just doesn't taste right from glass mugs or cups:Blush:
    We have cheap and cheerful wine glasses, but hubby has his crystal glass for his malt:thumb:

18. Brian and Jo

Brian and Jo Funster Life Member

china

yep its china every time :thumb:i like me home comforts me:Laughing:
    brian jo and josh

• Like Like x 1
  19. rangitira

rangitira Funster

Anything that bounces when it's dropped:thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  20. jimothy

Gosh - you're a posh lot with your china aren't you? :Wink:

well, I can't make a decision (thanks for all the ideas!) ; so for the time being at least, it's going to be purple plastic picnic set for me :Cool:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012