Free Member
Apr 26, 2010
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 600
Exp
18 months
Tried yesterday to buy some melamine cleaner but the caravan dealers were waiting delivery. Can anyone else suggest something that I can clean our cups with that are tea stained?

Dale

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
try dish washer powder and boiling water.
couple of table spoons of powder per cup and fill to the top, stir, cover and leave overnight then rinse well.

while it aint melamine, i use it in my work flask and it comes out spotless and shiny no matter how 'brown'.

failing that....bin 'em and buy proper cups :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
I'll agree with Jim on that one it usually works.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Tried yesterday to buy some melamine cleaner but the caravan dealers were waiting delivery.

Dale

Some Germans told me to use something they pronounced "owwiffer".

They said it was pretty expensive. I had it written down somewhere.

Oh, here is the spelling, as best I can make out his German handwriting: awife.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Astonish!

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/astonish/F/keyword/Astonish/product/20564

Does not just come in Orange 'flavour' you can get plain. You can buy it in many places not just the above. Last pots I bought last year were an exceptionally cheap 65p in a store in Ilfracombe. Brilliant stuff, cleans the inside of the glass on oven doors, ceramic hobs, watermarks off of sanitary ware (and other marks) and melamine! Does not smell horribly, does not seem to irritate skin. Cannot sing it's praises enough! Jane :Smile:

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi Dale
have you tried a Strident tablet, it is supposed to work, we have ordinary cups so no problems. Peter:thumb:

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
We use Milton (in a bottle) - look in the baby aisle in supermarkets. It cleans our sinks, worktops, toilet and cups beautifully.

Nigel and Pamala

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Oxy / Acetaline
Works well on our Garage mugs:thumb:
Geo

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Astonish!

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/astonish/F/keyword/Astonish/product/20564

Does not just come in Orange 'flavour' you can get plain. You can buy it in many places not just the above. Last pots I bought last year were an exceptionally cheap 65p in a store in Ilfracombe. Brilliant stuff, cleans the inside of the glass on oven doors, ceramic hobs, watermarks off of sanitary ware (and other marks) and melamine! Does not smell horribly, does not seem to irritate skin. Cannot sing it's praises enough! Jane :Smile:

I would also endorse 'Astonish', however although it does get the mugs sparkling clean they soon get stained again quite quickly so we've thrown them away and reverted to good old pottery mugs, not too much weight gain on the payload!!

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Geo - hubby Mk 1 used to clean their cups like that too, trouble was when they'd done them they got through a lot more coffee until the 'proper' patina had built up again!

Bleach is far cheaper than Steradent or Milton. Milton smells of chlorine anyway .....

I won't have melamine!

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Geo - hubby Mk 1 used to clean their cups like that too, trouble was when they'd done them they got through a lot more coffee until the 'proper' patina had built up again!

Bleach is far cheaper than Steradent or Milton. Milton smells of chlorine anyway .....

I won't have melamine!
Thats the word I was looking for:Doh:
And your right we have to drink twice as much just to re flavour the mugs:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Bleach is far cheaper than Steradent or Milton.

Re Bleach and Milton.

Milton is a safer product than bleach due to it being a lower concentration of sodium hypochlorite.. ie.. it is weak bleach ..

I gave this reply re cleaning fresh water tanks...

Sodium hypochlorite,[bleach] at 2% w/v is the active ingredient in Milton with 16.5% sodium chloride [salt]

I have always used household bleach which is around 5% w/v. [You can check this on the bottle ]

To clean and sanitize the tank and pipework .. about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of bleach [depending on tank size] added to a full tank of water, pump through the lines to each tap in turn , leave for a couple of hours, then drain and flush with fresh water twice..

Just for interest, Sodium Hypochlorite is used extensively in the food industry, bought in bulk at 50% w/v then diluted to sanitize fresh salad and fruit before packing .. used with care it is the best you can use.. and cost pennies compared to Milton ..

If you use Milton then use just under half the amount of bleach.

Note .. Care should be exercised with stainless steel tanks, .. either isolate or don't leave the solution in the tank for more than an hour..

I would also caution against cleaning plastic cups with anything that is even mildly abrasive ..

Astonish is a good cleaner but it's main cleaning ingredient is Silica Flour..
see product data Link Removed

I am not suggesting it is unsafe to use, far from it, just excise caution on plastic or easily scratched surfaces.

Other uses of Silica Flour

Silica flour contains 100% crystalline silica and is a common ingredient in products such as surface coatings, abrasives, plastics, grouts, mastics, ceramic glazes and investment casting media.

and for the anoraks..

COSHH Sheet . http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/guidance/mn1.pdf

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We do not use melamine mugs... do not like the 'taste'. The Astonish works well on china too and the glaze would not suffer. A more mild abrasive would be salt, I did use it years ago to clean mugs and it did work as well as being cheap, with a bit of free elbow grease thrown in :ROFLMAO: Jane :Smile:

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
try dish washer powder and boiling water.
couple of table spoons of powder per cup and fill to the top, stir, cover and leave overnight then rinse well.

while it aint melamine, i use it in my work flask and it comes out spotless and shiny no matter how 'brown'.

failing that....bin 'em and buy proper cups :thumb:

I bought a melamine set at our first m/h show, the dishes were fine but when I poured boiling water in the cup with teabag in ......sorta melted/stretched it on the inside where the handle is

The set was bought off one of the regular stands

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back