Meet in Ypres belguim (1 Viewer)

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!

acdcdave

Deceased RIP
Oct 23, 2008
Funster No
Old tom it's called been using it for at least 12 yrs. meet one or two ww1 vets there yrs ago had a chat I came out white as a ghost. Some of the story's. So as I said I think it's a great place for history and just to remember. As Harry patch said ( war is stupid).

WE took some Texas friends to Ypres stayed on the square, saw the local cadets passing out parade, and ate at Old Tom's. He does the best mullikatawny ? soup we've ever tasted ( I'm drooling now) and the rest of the meals were great. Met some interesting people there.
Lucille
Staging Lady

pneumatician

Free Member
Feb 22, 2009
Burntwood Staffs
Funster No
MH
La Strada,
Exp
since 2000
We are staying in Ypres on 15th. Not sure how long for depends on the weather.
Municipal site as previously mentioned.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
I have just come back from Ypres. We stayed for 3 nights at camping Jeugdstadion on the motorhome section. We had booked and I am glad we did as the lady on reception said they were booked solid for weeks ahead as was the next nearest campsite 14km away. Apparently it's because of the 100 year celebrations starting this year.We saw lots turned away.
It's a short walk to the Menin gate and we saw lots of motorhomes parked down the side road where the coaches park.
The evening ceremony was packed on the Tuesday evening when we went.
We lost count of the coaches they filled the road from the sports stadium up to the Menin gate.
The museum in the market square is worth a visit.

Just booked two nights at Jeugdstadion. It will be our first two nights of a trip to Belgium, Germany and Italy beginning on 19th May, for a month. Thanks for the recommendation Anne, we can't wait. :thumb:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
If you manage to book Jeugstadion in advance and arrive when the office is shut, make sure you have your booking reference number and the card you paid with to make the automatic booking in console work properly. You have to do this before trying to get through the entrance barrier because it issues you with a date sensitive entrance/exit pass.

We went there on the way home last autumn at the end of our Italy trip - we visited the Cloth Hall Museum in Ypres and spent three hours in there, attended the evening Remembrance ceremony at the Menin Gate, went to Tyne Cot cemetery (largest Commonwealth war cemetery in the world), the Passchendaele Experience Centre at Zonnebeke, and the Canadian Memorial at Vimy Ridge in France. All were very different but very moving in their own way. It can be emotionally draining but it should be done if you can get there.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
if you intend to use camping jargoner they are not taking group bookings this year so individuals will have to book :thumb:

Aug 23, 2011
Huntingdon, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Lyseo 727g
Exp
since 2011
One problem we had at Jegdstadion was the automatic booking system. You have to enter your postcode but the machine didn't have (we couldn't find) a spacebar to insert the gap between the groups of letters/numbers. Accordingly the postcode didn't match the booking and we had to wait for the staff to return to check us in manually.

Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since Dec 2008 after 10 years caravanning
We are booked on Jeugdstadion for a few nights Aug 19th straight off from Malvern for a month long tour ::bigsmile:

Sue & Eric

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back