Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I see you've now edited your post and added a link @Judgemental .
Firms like Lloyds are generally not owned or run by pharmacists - they employ pharmacists to manage their pharmacies - so the PHARMACIST isn't involved in buying or invoicing.
Are you suggesting that because a few companies (drugs suppliers and large-scale outlets) are trading illegally that ALL pharmacists are willing and able to do so?
The blame here is not with pharmacists, it's with the purchasers AND with the NHS auditors.
I knew you were a vested interest so ignored the taunt. I added 2 links changed nothing

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I have actually had experience of this, twice!! You have a number of options, firstly, as many have intimated, speak to your GP, I am sure they will be able to help.
Other options are, and I will relate to personal experience. One year, whilst in Portugal, I managed to leave all of my meds at home, and also my prescriptions. I went to the local pharmacy where we were staying, and explained my dilemma. They were happy to help, I gave them all the drug names, and doses, and 10 minutes later I walked out with all the pills I needed. On this occasion I had to pay full price for the medications since I didn't have a prescription. It was about €30.
Next was actually in France, whilst staying with my cousin, I had run out of statins, but this time I had my prescription with me. She took me along to the local pharmacy. There seemed to be a protracted negotiation that took place in French, then my cousin gave my prescription over to the pharmacist and I paid a nominal fee for them. The pharmacist also wanted my EHIC card, not sure what my cousin said to the pharmacist, but it seemed to work :D
So the answer seems to be, yes you can get prescriptions in France :D

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I have actually had experience of this, twice!! You have a number of options, firstly, as many have intimated, speak to your GP, I am sure they will be able to help.
Other options are, and I will relate to personal experience. One year, whilst in Portugal, I managed to leave all of my meds at home, and also my prescriptions. I went to the local pharmacy where we were staying, and explained my dilemma. They were happy to help, I gave them all the drug names, and doses, and 10 minutes later I walked out with all the pills I needed. On this occasion I had to pay full price for the medications since I didn't have a prescription. It was about €30.
Next was actually in France, whilst staying with my cousin, I had run out of statins, but this time I had my prescription with me. She took me along to the local pharmacy. There seemed to be a protracted negotiation that took place in French, then my cousin gave my prescription over to the pharmacist and I paid a nominal fee for them. The pharmacist also wanted my EHIC card, not sure what my cousin said to the pharmacist, but it seemed to work :D
So the answer seems to be, yes you can get prescriptions in France :D

Spain, Italy anywhere...India cheapest

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 30, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
PVC Vantage Neo
Exp
25 years
I forgot my meds one year we were in France. Fortunately, I had a repeat prescription with me, went into a pharmacy and they gave them to me no problem 20 E I think, they were very helpful. Infact cheaper than at home!

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
We get our medication prescription every 2 months but if we are away longer we tell our doctor and we get an extra month no problem.I am led to believe .the maximum is 3 months but i would stand to be corrected on this.

Same for us - no problem :)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Not quite correct I. Have spoken to our GP and he said he could see no problem up to six months.I ave yet to test this out will try in Dec before our winter down in Spain.
We had the same comment.

We were told that if we were out of the Country for a continuous period of over six months UK residency becomes arguable as regards NHS free treatment.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
We had the same comment.

We were told that if we were out of the Country for a continuous period of over six months UK residency becomes arguable as regards NHS free treatment.

Indeed this is the case and over 3 months for any benefit entitlements .

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I added 2 links changed nothing
Sorry, I should have said "edited TO add a link", I wasn't trying to suggest you'd changed your original post, just that there was now a link I could respond to (made my next post look a bit dim is all ;)(y) )

Mar 31, 2014
Stratford-upon-Avon, UK
Funster No
MH
BUCCANEER CARAVEL
Exp
SINCE 1975
My wife forgot to take her tablets for her underactive thyroid with her when we went to France for a month.We went into the chemists in Barfleur and explained the problem.And we got a months suppy for 2 euros!!no problems

teensvan99

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Margate
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Our doctor wouldn't prescribe prescriptions for mor than 2 months so we started a stockpile by ordering prescriptions every 21 days instead of every 28 days. It soon adds up. We then got our son to put in repeat prescription for us while away.

steve & ann. ............... teensvan

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Generic = manufacturer has lost the patent after X years.
Any company can then manafacture it. can be bought over the counter abroad, may need a local perscription. easy to find out if its available with a little homework.

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/brand_generic.htm

You can get generic & original here over the counter .

Our doctor wouldn't prescribe prescriptions for mor than 2 months so we started a stockpile by ordering prescriptions every 21 days instead of every 28 days. It soon adds up. We then got our son to put in repeat prescription for us while away.

steve & ann. ............... teensvan

Can't do that here anymore since we had the revamp. Prescriptions are authorised per year now & obtainable monthly direct from chemist without needing to see the doctor. You can only get the next months supply when you literally have only 1 or 2 tablets left.
Additionally there is no facility whatsoever to obtain any on prescription in advance , only on the date that the computer says. I had to buy mine over the counter when I was away for 2 months. Reason for this is now that anyone out of the country for over 30 days can be removed from the health system.
When I returned & went to get a prescription it continued from the first month I'd missed .:LOL: So went back a coupe of days later & got the second month I'd missed . :D
So , you cannot have them in advance of the date computer says but you can have them any time after ????????? You can't make this stuff up. :ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back