Medication supplies whilst abroad (1 Viewer)

Daveg

Free Member
Sep 2, 2012
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
November 2012
I got two lots (16 weeks) last time I asked. I'm about to have a go for the treble as we are off on an open ended trek at the end of the month.

In the event of a knock back, does anyone know approx how much blood pressure tablets (losartan and doxasosin) for me and ventolin inhalers (for Hilary) cost over the counter in Spain and / France?

I will certainly bookmark this helpful thread. Decrepitude seems to feature in this community. Glad I'm not alone.

Dave

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I only have 2 items Lenny so no saving for me.
As I get 2 months supply at a time it effectively is only one item per month.
£98.40 opposed to £104
Still £5.40 saved, difficult to get that much interest on a 100 quid, only need one other prescription a year makes it really worthwhile, also if you time your prescription and renewal off PPC correctly only need to fork out £104 every 15 months less if you build up a stock, that's what I used to do.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
No Lenny I pay 12 x £8.20
How does 15 months work ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Get a prescription just before the PPC expiry date when you still have a months left, renew the PPC 3 months later , 15 months for the price of 12, also build up a stock by getting your proscriptions 2 weeks early each time, build up a stock, then an even longer before you need to renew the PPC.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
@yodeli do you know if I could buy type 2 diabetes medicines over the counter at a pharmacy in France if I just show them the boxes of medicine? Just wondering for emergency if for instance I lost some of my pills.

Will ask and let you know. I would think they would try to help with one box , but will make sure , just in case I'm too optimistic!

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
I use Atorvastatin, Glicazide and Metformin and my better half uses Lisinopril. My doc happily lets me have up to 3 x 28 days supply but you never know if things might change or as I say for some reason I lost the supply.:(
I can muddle through with my French but when things get a bit technical . . . .:whistle:
If you could ask I'd be most grateful.(y)(y)
You are a true star.:love:

teensvan99

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Margate
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
We found that when we full timed for over 7 years 99% of meds can be bought over the counter in most of Europe as we did. Just take the meds boxes with you

steve & ann. ---------- teensvan

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Our surgery is organizing a three month supply at the moment for when we go to Spain next month, it does seem that surgeries make up their own rules this.
Because over 3 months out of UK & you are supposed to tell them so that you can be removed from register.

Are uk prescriptions valid in the EU? If they are, is it possible to get the prescription emailed from your practice to a nominated pharmacy/surgery once you are there?
Yes they are but in some cases equvalent drugs may not be available.
Additionally you can ask your doctor for an " cross border prescription " valid throught the EU.
See here ;

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/health/help-from-the-pharmacy/prescription/index_en.htm

Yes Jenben, already tried that but was told flatly that if we were away for more than 3 months the surgery would strike us from their books and we would have to re-register on our return. Not sure they are allowed to do that but have booked appointment to find out.

Vic
Yes , they are the rules & you are meant to tell them be de-registered & re-register on return.
& no it applies regardless if you are still paying tax, nat.ins. council tax ,own a home, etc.
Same as if you go into hospital & are there for more than 6 weeks you are supposed to tell them so they can reduce your state pension payments .:(
Or not allowed to go out after 9p.m if in receipt of sickness benefits. :LOL:

Blimey @Hymie, that sounds very harsh given you are just taking a holiday. Hopefully a face to face appointment will help you get this sorted.
3 months isn't classed as a holiday but emigrating .;)

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Yes, the 3 months away and they can take you off the list is definitely correct, them's the Rules.

However - most surgeries - if they know you and know you aren't just using the NHS and messing about - wouldn't do it.

If they've got into trouble for NOT doing it for some reason (accused of falsely inflating their registered patient numbers for instance, smack - so we'll pay you less!) then of course they'll be officious about it.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Because over 3 months out of UK & you are supposed to tell them so that you can be removed from register.

Yes they are but in some cases equvalent drugs may not be available.
Additionally you can ask your doctor for an " cross border prescription " valid throught the EU.
See here ;

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/health/help-from-the-pharmacy/prescription/index_en.htm

Yes , they are the rules & you are meant to tell them be de-registered & re-register on return.
& no it applies regardless if you are still paying tax, nat.ins. council tax ,own a home, etc.
Same as if you go into hospital & are there for more than 6 weeks you are supposed to tell them so they can reduce your state pension payments .:(
Or not allowed to go out after 9p.m if in receipt of sickness benefits. :LOL:

3 months isn't classed as a holiday but emigrating .;)

The same thing applies here in Spain. Go away/out of Spain for 90 days and they cancel your prescription, which you then have to go through the pain of arranging a doctors appointment, who will just look you up and down and then print out a new one.......... Spanish paperwork ( google it ) and you will know were I'm coming from.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back