Medication supplies whilst abroad

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by Hymie, Nov 10, 2015.

1. Hymie

Hymie Funster

Hi all, our plan is hop over the pond in May until November, lots of planning as you would expect, but the sticking point so far is how we get our "fix" whilst away.
    Caroline has to take Thyroxine every day, I have to take blood thinners, blood pressure and arrhythmia meds, but our surgery will only give 2 months prescription at one time.
    We think our best bet is to get our daughter to collect it each month and post it to us, but post it where?
    My thoughts so far is to give her the address of a campsite and park up there until it arrives, but that kind of kills off the footloose and fancy free angle, as we don't know how long it takes for post to reach Spain/France so could be stuck on a site day after day.
    I believe you can do "post-restante" (is that spelt right?) in France but what about Spain or Portugal?
    Our plan is to do the tour back to front, run down to Spain, then Portugal and head up in to France etc later on.
    Any help, ideas or suggestions gladly welcomed.

Vic

2. wanderer

wanderer Funster

Cant you build up your supplies before next May , keep putting prescriptions in early . You can put in presciptions abroad but a lot of medications are cheaper over the counter in Spain

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jim

Jim Ringleader

My daughter needs to take 8-12 tablets a day. doctors would only give us 1 month in advance. We wanted to take a reserve with us for our long winter trip South. Lloyds tried to sell us the tablets at £8 EACH. The cheapest we could find in the UK was £2 each and that from a dodgy Internet dealer who we could not trust. In Portugal we have bought them in two different pharmacies for the same price of just €16.50 per 100.

• Like Like x 5
  4. Mags52

Mags52 Funster

You can go into Spanish pharmacies and show them the empty box. They will usually sell you the medication at a reasonable price. If that doesn't work you can use your E111 card and ask for a doctor's appointment. They will give you a prescription and they don't have the same time having said that our GP gave us 3 months supply before we left when we explained our situation but we live in Scotland and they might have more freedom here. We have a reciprocal medical arrangement with Europe so don't be afraid to ask for a doctor's appointment. Most campsites will help you with that.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Badknee

Badknee Funster

We are putting prescriptions in early to stockpile at the moment then will ask for three months in advance to give us a winter away.(y)

6. greygit

greygit Read Only Funster

Our surgery is organizing a three month supply at the moment for when we go to Spain next month, it does seem that surgeries make up their own rules this.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SomeoneElse

SomeoneElse Funster

The latest repeat prescription software at our surgery prevents this. Even to the point where the doc can restrict items, like creams, to one every two or three months.

8. Oriel

Oriel

Are uk prescriptions valid in the EU? If they are, is it possible to get the prescription emailed from your practice to a nominated pharmacy/surgery once you are there?

9. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Hmmmm, well every time we pick ours up there is an order form inside the bag, I've got loads of them as I order over the phone. I wonder if that would do, it has my name and address on them as well as the doctors?

10. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Bugger! Were putting ours in a week early every month. :(

11. Oriel

Oriel

Probably not as the list is not a prescription which the doctor has signed. I'd ask if your GP can do an online prescription to a surgery at your destinations.

12. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Were ok as we can get three months plus the month or so of earlies so we will be fine.

13. matamoros

matamoros Funster

Ex Rochdale now Tavira, S. Brittany & Europe
    My Doc will only give me 2 months at a time but I have managed to get a few months in advance by applying for repeats a little early, my son arranges for the prescriptions to be collected and I pick them up on our return visits.

In both Spain and Portugal I have bought the medications over the counter, I have always shown the repeat prescription, for the first time last week in Portugal the pharmacist actually took a copy.Never tried in France.

My medications are relatively cheap and common so not a problem but I would think the cost could be a major factor in some cases as could the type of drug, scheduled/dangerous.

14. Jenben

Jenben Funster

Have you actually explained to your Doctor that you are going away on a trip? Our surgery has the same sort of rules (and computer based ordering system). Once we explained what we were planning they were happy to help us with a number of prescriptions.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Jonned

Jonned Funster

I have been working away from home in Europe since 2007, I receive a 3 month prescription from my doctor and can order extra if there is a requirement.

16. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

• Like Like x 1
  17. Hymie

Hymie Funster

Yes Jenben, already tried that but was told flatly that if we were away for more than 3 months the surgery would strike us from their books and we would have to re-register on our return. Not sure they are allowed to do that but have booked appointment to find out.

I am supposed to take 6 different tablets a day, most of them twice a day so paying for them would be a cash drain, one of them is particularly expensive I am told.

Our surgery also has the new software that repeats on exactly the right day, so I am told.

Thanks for all the tips everyone.

Vic

18. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

When we lived in Norfolk our doctor would give us 3 months up front without problem, he also printed of a detailed breakdown of what I take incase I needed to more whilst away.
    If you are coming to Spain you can call into any private medical centre ( many are English run doctors ) and for a small fee they will write up a Spanish prescription so you can use it across the counter in the farmacia.

• Like Like x 4
  19. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

Our Doctor says he can only legally prescribe so much medication in one go, but knowing our situation we just make a few visits and he obliges without further to do! That enables us to build up supplies as well.

20. Jenben

Jenben Funster

Blimey @Hymie, that sounds very harsh given you are just taking a holiday. Hopefully a face to face appointment will help you get this sorted.

• Like Like x 1