Medication on the move advice needed

Discussion in 'Motorhomes for the Disabled' started by gazza280, Dec 13, 2012.

1. gazza280

gazza280 Read Only Funster

Hi Funsters

Perhaps this is a problem some of you have come across before.
    I am planning to spend a bit of time abroad next year perhaps 4 or 5 months traveling around France, Spain or just where ever I feel like going even in England. I thought no problems but I take a lot of pills each day and I get my prescriptions once a month but the doctor tells me he can only give me enough medication for 2 months.
    Surely other other Fulltimers or anyone taking an extended break in their Motorhomes can get access to medication.
    The doctor just says sign up with another doctor in the area but if I'm in South of France one month and Spain another thats not going to happen, and anyway I will still be registered at my home address.
    So funsters over to you any suggestions or stories about this I would love to hear.

Many thanks in advance
    Gary

2. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

I don't know what drugs you need but my simvastatin, lisinopril and benzfleumazide (spelling) I got over the counter at the pharmacy in Spain no prob and I have a friend who is on a UK controlloed drug and they got theirs no probs. :thumb:

France you will need a prescription from a doctor. :cry:

3. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

Garry one thing is certain lots of Funsters will know exactly what to do on here I cannot help but am sure lots of the others can

4. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

This is a problem.
    We only take blood pressure tabs,but we have arguments with our GP about it.We both go to same surgery-I can get 2 mths supply,Carolyn can only get 1mths.
    I get my 2 mths supply every month :BigGrin: and so build up a supply (The senior partner told me to do this,with a wink)
    Carolyn bought 3 mths supply of hers on the internet.
    You can buy lots of prescription medicines over the counter in Spain.
    Others will be along to tell you how they get around this problem.
    Hope you find a solution that works for you.

Mike

5. laneside

laneside Funster

Try and plan ahead and accumulate a stock before departure if at all possible, many doctors will give up to three months if you creep low enough.

There may be exceptions to this depending on what your condition is and if it requires careful monitoring.

The alternative is to order your pescription on line, if possible, and get someone in Blighty to collect them and post them out to you.

BUT

We are in Spain and one of Lynda's four drugs is a controlled drug but we went to the local Pharamacy and he had them for her the very next day -no problem and not extortianate with his prices.

Hope this helps

• Like Like x 2
  6. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

When in Spain buy a stock for next time he he :Smile:

Should have said my BP drugs include aspirin the cost per month in Spain is €10.30 :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  7. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

I'm not sure about the legality of sending medicines by post as a private individual-not that anyone is likely to spot it,but I seem to remember reading summat about it.

Mike.

8. Billy23

Billy23 Funster

If you pm me the name of the tablets I will go the chemist Saturday morning and find out if you can buy them over the counter in Spain and let you know.

• Like Like x 3
  9. sedge

sedge Funster

Unfortunately by law? GMC rules? whatever - they can only prescribe a max of 3 months supply of anything. Anyone that is out of their area for 3 months plus they are supposed to cross off their register, because they should not draw money from the NHS for 'looking after' patients who aren't really there.

The NHS doesn't cater for people doing what we want to do. Why should they? If we can afford to go on extended holidays then we can afford to purchase meds.

Mind you the second or third time we went to eg Caribbean, India etc to my surprise I was told the jabs, anti-malaria etc were now free. I said why, surely if a person can afford to go to hot and exotic places they can afford to pay the price of protecting themselves. It was explained to me that it wasn't people like me taking an annual 2 week holiday the NHS was out to protect, because we would do it anyway. It was to cover the people who didn't bother, who then brought their yellow fever back with them and the NHS had to treat them and find all the people they'd infected. Cheaper to provide the protection free in the first place apparently ......

I have to do a few double orders and build up quite a bit of a stock to get mine however in some ways I'm err lucky? - that isn't the word LOL, but if I don't take one of my drugs then I'd die within a few days or at least be ill enough to call an ambulance anywhere I happened to be - but I'd much rather not risk being an emergency just to get a supply of insulin,Ta.

If it meant we had to come home early - then that's exactly what we'd have to do. And only take 30 day holidays.

• Like Like x 1
  10. yodeli

yodeli Funster Life Member

One month in South France? I'll ask my doctor if he's OK with this. Send me a PM with the pils you need. I have to see him next week . If you think you can come to pick up the prescription ....I'll let you know

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

PS : Then I guess you'll have to pay for them .

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  11. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Most medicines are available from pharmacies in Spain without prescription, also in France as long as you ask for exactly what you want (not brand names as many are different in different countries) because they are not allowed to recommend many medicines for some reason, but can still sell them to you.
    Also I don't think you need to register with a Dr in France or Spain, just get an appointment and they can prescribe for you.

Some common UK medicines are not available in some countries, for example I could not buy Trimethoprim for my ex wife's cystitis in Spain but had to buy Cotrimoxazole (combined Trimethoprim and Sulphamethoxazole) because that's what they use in Spain.

12. reader

reader Funster

I would stock pile over a period of months to gain a month, then get a prescription which is normally a 3 monther. That gets the 4 months

Ask for a medication review if you havnt had one for a while.

I was having side effects on two of mine and the GPs swopped one and dropped the other which was a beta blocker. To ensure the old blood pressure didnt persuade them to put me back on I followed some guidance in a BHF paper on Beetroot Juice keeping BP low and it has, better than tablets. Thats one less pill and it has a beneficial side effect of reducing Travel Insurance costs as well.

• Like Like x 1
  13. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

I just think taking drugs is irresponsible :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 3
  14. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

the war on drugs is being lost round these parts

• Like Like x 2
  15. Parcverger

Parcverger Funster - Campsite Owner

Our local doctor will look at your prescription and if the same item is not available in France will prescribe the equivalent. The prescription will normally be for the same period as the one you have, so if you have a three-month prescription then you will get one for the next three months. Obviously a shorter-term one means that the doctor wants to keep an eye on you more often, and the doctor here will follow that line.
    Bob
    www.parcverger.com

• Like Like x 1
  16. SuperMike

SuperMike Read Only Funster

Not always possible. My wife's Controlled Drugs are literally counted out each month. If we are away when her script becomes due, we have to write to the GP explaining what we need and an extra week might be forthcoming. Then when this little bit extra is taken to the chemist the pharmacist asks why the extra. :Eeek:

17. teddybard

teddybard Read Only Funster

Travelling in Spain may not be that much of a problem
    Most Spanish Pharmacists can dispense over the counter at a
    fairly reasonable price.
    Age concern in Torrevieja (Just South of Alicante) Guademar area.
    See website may have some ideas.

www.[B]torrevieja[/B]information.com/ageconcern/

France I know nothing about.

Ref UK try explaining that you will have a 3 Month absence to your
    GP group some are better than others- or get your family to collect and find a way to retrieve them, or perhaps someone on the site who could collect and run them out to you as partof their outward trip.

Roger & Sheila.:Smile::BigGrin:

18. kaybee

kaybee Funster

Does anyone have experiance of obtaining insulin over the counter? :Smile:

19. Billy23

Billy23 Funster

20. SUGGY

SUGGY Funster Life Member

i have just got 3 months supply of medicines with out any problems from the Doctors but i did book in and spoke to him face to face ,

i am on a pre paid card (£120 ish a year ) so i did not want to pay twice for my pills ... ,

i normally take a " Surgery Practice Letter ) with me to cover the amount of drugs for the customs , if asked but they wanted to charge me this time for the letter so the Doctor said take the repeat prescription form with you as proof of use ,