Medication on the move advice needed (1 Viewer)

gazza280

Free Member
Sep 26, 2012
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Funsters

Perhaps this is a problem some of you have come across before.
I am planning to spend a bit of time abroad next year perhaps 4 or 5 months traveling around France, Spain or just where ever I feel like going even in England. I thought no problems but I take a lot of pills each day and I get my prescriptions once a month but the doctor tells me he can only give me enough medication for 2 months.
Surely other other Fulltimers or anyone taking an extended break in their Motorhomes can get access to medication.
The doctor just says sign up with another doctor in the area but if I'm in South of France one month and Spain another thats not going to happen, and anyway I will still be registered at my home address.
So funsters over to you any suggestions or stories about this I would love to hear.

Many thanks in advance
Gary

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
I don't know what drugs you need but my simvastatin, lisinopril and benzfleumazide (spelling) I got over the counter at the pharmacy in Spain no prob and I have a friend who is on a UK controlloed drug and they got theirs no probs. :thumb:

France you will need a prescription from a doctor. :cry:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Garry one thing is certain lots of Funsters will know exactly what to do on here I cannot help but am sure lots of the others can

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
This is a problem.
We only take blood pressure tabs,but we have arguments with our GP about it.We both go to same surgery-I can get 2 mths supply,Carolyn can only get 1mths.
I get my 2 mths supply every month ::bigsmile: and so build up a supply (The senior partner told me to do this,with a wink)
Carolyn bought 3 mths supply of hers on the internet.
You can buy lots of prescription medicines over the counter in Spain.
Others will be along to tell you how they get around this problem.
Hope you find a solution that works for you.

Mike

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Try and plan ahead and accumulate a stock before departure if at all possible, many doctors will give up to three months if you creep low enough.

There may be exceptions to this depending on what your condition is and if it requires careful monitoring.

The alternative is to order your pescription on line, if possible, and get someone in Blighty to collect them and post them out to you.

BUT

We are in Spain and one of Lynda's four drugs is a controlled drug but we went to the local Pharamacy and he had them for her the very next day -no problem and not extortianate with his prices.

Hope this helps

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
When in Spain buy a stock for next time he he :Smile:

Should have said my BP drugs include aspirin the cost per month in Spain is €10.30 :thumb:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
The alternative is to order your pescription on line, if possible, and get someone in Blighty to collect them and post them out to you.
Hope this helps

I'm not sure about the legality of sending medicines by post as a private individual-not that anyone is likely to spot it,but I seem to remember reading summat about it.

Mike.

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Hi Funsters

I am planning to spend a bit of time abroad next year perhaps 4 or 5 months traveling around France, Spain or just where ever I feel like going even in England. I thought no problems but I take a lot of pills each day and I get my prescriptions once a month but the doctor tells me he can only give me enough medication for 2 months.
Surely other other Fulltimers or anyone taking an extended break in their Motorhomes can get access to medication.
The doctor just says sign up with another doctor in the area but if I'm in South of France one month and Spain another thats not going to happen, and anyway I will still be registered at my home address.
So funsters over to you any suggestions or stories about this I would love to hear.

Many thanks in advance
Gary

If you pm me the name of the tablets I will go the chemist Saturday morning and find out if you can buy them over the counter in Spain and let you know.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Unfortunately by law? GMC rules? whatever - they can only prescribe a max of 3 months supply of anything. Anyone that is out of their area for 3 months plus they are supposed to cross off their register, because they should not draw money from the NHS for 'looking after' patients who aren't really there.

The NHS doesn't cater for people doing what we want to do. Why should they? If we can afford to go on extended holidays then we can afford to purchase meds.

Mind you the second or third time we went to eg Caribbean, India etc to my surprise I was told the jabs, anti-malaria etc were now free. I said why, surely if a person can afford to go to hot and exotic places they can afford to pay the price of protecting themselves. It was explained to me that it wasn't people like me taking an annual 2 week holiday the NHS was out to protect, because we would do it anyway. It was to cover the people who didn't bother, who then brought their yellow fever back with them and the NHS had to treat them and find all the people they'd infected. Cheaper to provide the protection free in the first place apparently ......

I have to do a few double orders and build up quite a bit of a stock to get mine however in some ways I'm err lucky? - that isn't the word LOL, but if I don't take one of my drugs then I'd die within a few days or at least be ill enough to call an ambulance anywhere I happened to be - but I'd much rather not risk being an emergency just to get a supply of insulin,Ta.

If it meant we had to come home early - then that's exactly what we'd have to do. And only take 30 day holidays.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Hi Funsters

Many thanks in advance
Gary

One month in South France? I'll ask my doctor if he's OK with this. Send me a PM with the pils you need. I have to see him next week . If you think you can come to pick up the prescription ....I'll let you know

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

PS : Then I guess you'll have to pay for them .

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Most medicines are available from pharmacies in Spain without prescription, also in France as long as you ask for exactly what you want (not brand names as many are different in different countries) because they are not allowed to recommend many medicines for some reason, but can still sell them to you.
Also I don't think you need to register with a Dr in France or Spain, just get an appointment and they can prescribe for you.

Some common UK medicines are not available in some countries, for example I could not buy Trimethoprim for my ex wife's cystitis in Spain but had to buy Cotrimoxazole (combined Trimethoprim and Sulphamethoxazole) because that's what they use in Spain.

reader

Free Member
Apr 27, 2011
IO83rk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I would stock pile over a period of months to gain a month, then get a prescription which is normally a 3 monther. That gets the 4 months

Ask for a medication review if you havnt had one for a while.

I was having side effects on two of mine and the GPs swopped one and dropped the other which was a beta blocker. To ensure the old blood pressure didnt persuade them to put me back on I followed some guidance in a BHF paper on Beetroot Juice keeping BP low and it has, better than tablets. Thats one less pill and it has a beneficial side effect of reducing Travel Insurance costs as well.

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
Our local doctor will look at your prescription and if the same item is not available in France will prescribe the equivalent. The prescription will normally be for the same period as the one you have, so if you have a three-month prescription then you will get one for the next three months. Obviously a shorter-term one means that the doctor wants to keep an eye on you more often, and the doctor here will follow that line.
Bob
www.parcverger.com

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
I would stock pile over a period of months to gain a month,.

Not always possible. My wife's Controlled Drugs are literally counted out each month. If we are away when her script becomes due, we have to write to the GP explaining what we need and an extra week might be forthcoming. Then when this little bit extra is taken to the chemist the pharmacist asks why the extra. :Eeek:

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Hi Funsters

Many thanks in advance
Gary

Travelling in Spain may not be that much of a problem
Most Spanish Pharmacists can dispense over the counter at a
fairly reasonable price.
Age concern in Torrevieja (Just South of Alicante) Guademar area.
See website may have some ideas.

France I know nothing about.

Ref UK try explaining that you will have a 3 Month absence to your
GP group some are better than others- or get your family to collect and find a way to retrieve them, or perhaps someone on the site who could collect and run them out to you as partof their outward trip.

Roger & Sheila.:Smile:::bigsmile:

kaybee

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2012
Does anyone have experiance of obtaining insulin over the counter? :Smile:

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Does anyone have experiance of obtaining insulin over the counter? :

If anybody needs to know if they can get tablets or similar in Spain just pm me the name and - as I am in Spain at my house- I will nip down my local chemist and ask the guy if you can buy them over the counter and price.

:Smile:

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
i have just got 3 months supply of medicines with out any problems from the Doctors but i did book in and spoke to him face to face ,

i am on a pre paid card (£120 ish a year ) so i did not want to pay twice for my pills ... ,

i normally take a " Surgery Practice Letter ) with me to cover the amount of drugs for the customs , if asked but they wanted to charge me this time for the letter so the Doctor said take the repeat prescription form with you as proof of use ,

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
I questioned my Nurse Practitioner about why I can only get a 2 month prescription..she said that was the the practice way when I asked for a 3 month one she was very cagey about it...I'm a Type 2 diabetic..so as I'm currently in Tenerife I get my sister to do my repeat scripts..there is always someone visiting Tenerife who is of our acquaintence or people going back to UK who are more than willing to collect me pills from my sisters and bring them over for me..I know it's not really allowed..BUT!!
I do believe (but I stand to be corrected) that sending drugs prescription or otherwise isn't legal via the post..
Some doctors will issue a script for longer dependant on your case history..

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Planning! Put your repeats in over the next month or so early, you will have enough for six months before they question it!

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I can state for an absolute FACT that insulin is prescription only wherever you are. However it keeps for years if properly refrigerated* - insulin is actually the least of my worries and it's that I am most dependant on! And of course, keeps for up to 30 days at room temperature once you take it out of the fridge and leave it out.

* Latest scrip a couple of weeks ago, expiry date on box is 09/14 !

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Planning! Put your repeats in over the next month or so early, you will have enough for six months before they question it!

Don't think so. Most practices use a system called EMIS. Even in my former life 20 odd years ago, when I installed these systems, they would flash up when a repeat script was being over prescribed / against time. :winky:

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Don't think so. Most practices use a system called EMIS. Even in my former life 20 odd years ago, when I installed these systems, they would flash up when a repeat script was being over prescribed / against time. :winky:

Our practice uses EMIS ( what a load of useless software it's down more than up) but we both had six months supply when we set off, by ordering on line and accumalating so it aint foolproof, thinking about it neither is our Calderdale practice

May 30, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
PVC Vantage Neo
Exp
25 years
Prescriptions in France

I managed to get to France and forgot to take my medication with me! Luckily, I had a repeat prescription form in my bag which I took to a pharmacy in France. Absolutely no problem and came out with a whole bag of pills which were also loads cheaper than at home. I have found the pharmacies in France really helpful, don't know about Spain though!:Smile:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
In France you can call at any Doctor...just make an appointment, take your tablet box or boxes / prescription with you, It will cost you 23 euros for the visit, you pay the doctor before you leave, take the prescription to the Pharmacy and pay for the drugs.

The Doctors are not salaried like the UK they get paid by bums on seat, the more patients they see the more money they make.

Somebody asked about " Insulin "we live in France..our UK neighbour who come's over to his house his quite frequent...his wife is a very ill lady.....Once he had forgotten to bring his wife's Insulin....
Not a problem the wife took them to another doctor in our surgery...they got the prescription without any problem, he just had to pay for consultation 23 euros with the doctor and pay for the prescription

nfa

Free Member
Nov 24, 2012
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
recipricol?

Hi
Had no problems in Portugal as I too, took 3 months supply of medication. In Spain the pharmacy was very helpful and I was able to buy my necessary medication. I tried to use the allegedly reciprical health care in Spain for an INR test plus prescription drugs, but they wouldn't do the test although I had relevant paperwork from GB - and would only prescribe one weeks supply of drugs (altho we were not returning to UK for another 2 months) and I was expected to pay for an interpreter as I wasn't fluent in Spanish. My local GP practise and hospital has notices in various languages - so I wasnot impressed with our EU neighbours, but will be travelling again in Spring.
Happy New Year to you all:Cool:.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
In France you can call at any Doctor...just make an appointment, take your tablet box or boxes / prescription with you, It will cost you 23 euros for the visit, you pay the doctor before you leave, take the prescription to the Pharmacy and pay for the drugs.

The Doctors are not salaried like the UK they get paid by bums on seat, the more patients they see the more money they make.

Somebody asked about " Insulin "we live in France..our UK neighbour who come's over to his house his quite frequent...his wife is a very ill lady.....Once he had forgotten to bring his wife's Insulin....
Not a problem the wife took them to another doctor in our surgery...they got the prescription without any problem, he just had to pay for consultation 23 euros with the doctor and pay for the prescription

Yes , it's just the answer I got from my doctor this evening . He told me , you should be able to get your tablets at any doctor in France as long as you have your previous prescription with you . You can even get your money back (if you wish so ... if you prefer to keep quiet so that UK doesn't know you've been out a long time, it's up to you!). I've asked for insulin too and he answered ANY case which requires long term treatment!
So here you are ... France is not a problem

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
WARNING
We got caught in Portugal by the 'Ash Cloud' back in the spring of 2010.I ran out of Statins so went to a Portuguese pharmacy and they had what I wanted without prescription BUT the price would have been 54 euro for one box! I decided I could live without for a few days!
I suppose it might be different if I had a repeat prescription on me though?:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back