Medical travel insurance

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Dee 123, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Dee 123

Dee 123 Funster

Hi,

I am going to Spain for 3 months and am needing medical insurance. Please, can anyone recommend a decent company?.

2. Zains Pops

Zains Pops Funster

We use insure and go. Seem ok but never had to claim. Generally I believe they are all robbing bast*ards so difficult to say which is least worse.
    Don't forget your EHIC cards, In Spain you will then receive the same deal as the locals.

• Like Like x 1
  3. chaser

chaser Funster

4. Cobweb

Cobweb

A few years ago we had to claim from Insure and Go after I was taken to A&E in Florida having a killer headache . 4 hours in A&E
    CT scan etc cost $8000 ! After through investigation and a report from my GP they paid up in full minus the excess. Read the small print and declare any medical conditions .

• Like Like x 2
  5. wiljoy

wiljoy Funster

Don't rely on your EHIC card in Europe. France and Spain only take your credit card I'm afraid. We were in France earlier this year and my wife broke her hand. We went to a public hospital that the locals use in Millau and they did the usual X ray then an aluminum splint. When paying they point blank refused to even look at our EHIC card. They said that they're no longer give free treatment. Ten days later she still had problems so we went to another public hospital and again they refused to do anything until our credit card details were given. When we arrived home the NHS informed us that our treasured EHIC card rules changed last year android and lot of hospitals in Europe were not giving treatment based on the so called reciprocal agreement. We filled in loads of forms which they said could take 6 months to sort out but our payment would probably not be refunded. There advice was to take out private insurance an pay. When home after 12 weeks it was X rayed again and was still broken so a plaster was fitted. How can that be as I was under the impression we paid billions of pounds to be in a United Europe . B.....ks welcome to our world.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Miss Daisy

Miss Daisy Funster

Wiljoy, this is very worrying. Hope your wife is recovering well

• Like Like x 1
  7. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

Not our experience Jan was rushed into hospital in Valencia last November in the middle of the night. Fantastic treatment took details from the EHIC card and that was that, better treatment than in the UK and nothing to pay.

8. vwalan

vwalan Funster

if in the eu you need to be taken to a state hospital by a state ambulance etrc if a private ambulance comes dont use it . its hard if alone but you have to look for the group . many local health centers are free in spain for certain . you have to pay prescriptions . just because locals use a hospital doesnt mean they arent paying to a private insurance to cover it .

9. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

We used Covered2Go, they use a separate medical company for existing conditions and we found them extremely competitive.

10. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

My wife fell off her bike in Salamanca in Spain in April this year. Refused to go to the hospital and said she was OK. After 2 weeks and still in pain I managed to drag her into a small hospital on Lagos, Portugal that we were happening to walk past. Showed them our EHIC card, which they copied. Had X-ray and within a couple of hours the doctor said - we think it is broken and it needs setting immediately. Said we had to go to the main hospital in Portimao (we had just come from there) and offered an ambulance. Instead we drove the motorhome back. After about an hour's wait she saw the doctor (who has the X-ray and notes electronically from Lagos) and he confirmed it was broken and set her arm and we were away.

We got as good if not better treatment than in the UK. Wife was happy because the doctor was young, good looking and spoke good English. Went up to the payment desk to discover the total bill was 19 Euros! Paid cash and never did bother trying to claim it back from our insurers.

So the EHIC card does seem to work well in Portugal.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Dee 123

Dee 123 Funster

12. Dee 123

Dee 123 Funster

Find this hard to believe peter

13. Dee 123

Dee 123 Funster

Been told by many that insure and go is the way

14. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

What bit? All true BTW
    And we do have insurance as well as the EHIC. In fact with many insurance policies it is a condition of the policy that you have an EHIC.

• Like Like x 1
  15. vwalan

vwalan Funster

been travelling most winters for years . just about everyone i know doesnt bother just use ehic . if you need an ambulance make sure its a state one and only use state hospitals and centers works every time . you do pay for prescriptions sometimes sometimes not . bit like breakdown and recovery if its cheap with your insurance ok . if not forget it . every village as a garage that can and do fix cars etc .
    truck garages are even better and cheaper very often .

• Like Like x 1