Mechanical Fault

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Gman1969, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Gman1969

Gman1969 Read Only Funster

Hello Everyone,

I have a Hymer S670 on the Merc 410D chassis and have an issue that has not been fixed for a year now. When I drive along I get a severe wheel wobble that causes the whole cab to shake violently and I have to slow down below 55kph to get rid of it. It comes in at the same point about 90% of the time. It is driving me mad and have taken in to a few places and they are at a loss. The king pins/bearings are all good, the steering box has been refurbed and tyres balanced. Still no change, the merc mechanic said it could be the drive train but that makes no sense to me. I thought I would go back to basics and get the wheel tracking done and replace the tyres with good commercial grade. So what should I get for my Hymer? It is maddening to find the right information for the tyres, what I have are 185 R14 C and was looking at 185/75 R14 (99) T for the front?

Cheers,

Gareth

2. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Hi Gareth I bet that is frustrating, nothing worse than not knowing what is wrong. I have no idea what it could be but hopefully my post will bring your question to the top of the pile again and some Funster might be able to help. Best of luck:thumb:

3. JJ

JJ Funster

Did this fault arrive suddenly or did it "creep" up on you?

Wheels, bearings, tyres etc I assume have all been looked at...

Does the wobble still happen downhill in neutral?

Does it stay the same if you lightly apply the brakes?

Might be of no help but I once had a Transit and the U/J in the propshaft seized up over time making the van drive worse and worse....

Changed the U/J in the propshaft and it became like a brand new van instantly...

JJ :Cool:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  4. Gooney

Gooney Funster

Agree with JJ, presuming it is a rear wheel drive, years ago when I was a mechanic seized prop shaft U/J's were a common problem and did cause severe vibrations throughout the affected vehicle.

5. acting_strange

acting_strange

Important question......does your steering wheel "wobble"? eg side to side when this vibration starts

6. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

I also agree could be to do with the propshaft had to have one replaced on a car once - couldnt work it out for ages felt like i had a bit an inbuilt sway on the rear end at a certain speed, also occasionally heard a clunk sound also
    another one that suddenly started one time was a tyre which had gone faulty (good named brand tyre) and it developed an 's' shape along part of the rubber which used to wobble the steering, as it was on the front
    Also had to have an automatic transmission box replaced due to that creating a feeling of wobble/vibration just as i hit 40mph which was also just on the auto change band as it was due to go up a gear.
    All the above happened on different vehicles by the way.

7. Gman1969

Thanks for your comments everyone:

To answer a few:

Jim: it is a pain, worried that it might cost a fortune!

JJ: I think it may have got worse over time but am not totally sure. I have had the king pins and bearing checked out and they are ok. There was a lot of play in the steering box and got it refurbished and is solid on the straight. I have not thrown it into neutral going down hill, it is an automatic transmission by the way. Applying the breaks makes no difference at all, it only stops when I get below 55kph. I have tried to accelerate through it but it just grows and grows and you can actually see the tyres at the front wobbling away and there is severe vibration through the steering column and the whole cabin starts to shake it is quite scary. How do you check if the UJ in the propshaft has seized?

Gooney: it is a rear wheel drive.

acting_Strange: the steering wheele vibrates left and right quite severely. As you get upto 55kph it is a gentle side to side wobble on the steering wheel and as you go through 55kph it gets worse and worse and then you have to slow down quite hard with breaks for it to go away. When driving a I know when the wobble starts I slow down instantly. It happens very quickly from gentle wobble to a full blown pants filling shake.

chatter: I have looked at the tyres and the tread is a little wavy when you turn the tyres. The van does sit stationary for long periods but there is no obvious bulge in the walls. There are no clunks or knocks when it happens it is just a gentle wobble that very quickly within 5kph over 55kph that becomes scary. As I said to someone else it is automatic and rear wheel drive.

Over to you experts!

Gareth

8. olley

olley Funster

Cheap things first, swap the rear tyres for the front and see if that makes any difference.

Ian

• Like Like x 1
  9. Gman1969

Olley, I did that and there was no real difference in the fault. It might have shifted up a few KPH but as I said not that significantly :Sad:

10. bigmillie

bigmillie Read Only Funster

On the prop shaft there is a center bearing is this ok ? also a grease nipple on the sliding part of the shaft at the front has this been greased at all ?

Been looking on the mercedes forum its a common problem vibration from a failed uj on propshaft

• Like Like x 1
  11. chesterfield hooligan

chesterfield hooligan Funster

:Smile: Hi just try jacking each wheel up clear of the ground and see if it spin's on it's own ie out of balance you could be suprised and cost nowt :Smile:
    then spin slowly to see if the wheel is buckled

12. injebreck99

injebreck99 Funster

Steering Vibration

Hi, sound like it could be tyredelamination, I have come across this many times , the wheels would have to be removed from the M/H and mounted on a tyre balancing machine,preferrably by an experienced tyre technician, first check the balance of the wheel/tyre, if OK, carefully check the circumference of the tyre by spinning it slowly on the tyre machine, even a very small amount of distortion can cause severe wobble, beginning as low as 10mph, could be that standing for long periods has distorted the carcass internally, ask your local garage/tyre depot, not your Kwik krap depots for honest advice. Hope this helps.

13. laneside

laneside Funster

Has some one put that horrible slime into the tyres and not given it a ten mile wellie immediately after to spread it around. The ones that put it in at shows while the vehicle remains parked are cowboys to be avoided

14. joner8888

joner8888 Read Only Funster

Drove a van a week ago---It started jumping around and the steering was wild.
    We tracked it down to a knackered shock absorber/strut.
    Once the wheel hit a small bump, it would start to resonate ,making the whole van vibrate----- Maybe look at them?

• Like Like x 1
  15. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

egg shaped tyres due to being stood too long or a part seized propshaft uj will give the same effect.

the point you made about the vibration improving slightly by swapping front wheels to rear would indicate tyres

just as a matter of interest, have you changed the gearbox oil? a part clogged torque converter will make the cab vibrate, getting worse the faster you push it.

• Like Like x 1
  16. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

as far as i know if a tyre doesnt show a second figure...55..70..65 etc it is a standard 75% aspect ratio.
    so your existing tyres will already be 185/75/14

the only info i can find on the 'T' you state is for the speed rating.

'T' = sustained speed of 113mph max.

'C' denotes commercial tyres

as for the vibration issue.

if it was a shocker it would appear at many different speeds depending on road condition.

a prop joint producing that much vibration would have shown up on the last MOT at least.

my money is on the actual prop shaft being severely out of balance or even bent, which would be speed related as to the amount of 'out of balance' involved and wouldn't show on the MOT.

20 to 30lbs of metal tube spinning off centre would cause a lot of vibration

17. motor roamin

motor roamin Funster

The first thing I would check is Prop shaft for running true, then I would check all of the UJ's on the prop if it has a centre bearing this can be knackered whilst looking like there is nothing wrong.

If this is all good, then it is tyres ALL OF them not just fronts I have come across this many times when I owned the garage. I once had a guy come in with a Bentley turbo been every where and drove terrible.......new set of tyres new car.

I doubt very much it is any thing else with the symptons you describe.

All the best Rick

• Like Like x 1
  18. driving

driving Funster

hi there,

has it got EPS ( electric power steering) on it, if so you will more than likely find it is the steering column they go out of balance

19. Gman1969

Thanks everyone for such a great response. I have put all your suggestions into a rough table so I can sort out the most likely candidates. If you can have a look and suggest way's of diagnosing the faults or eliminating them then that would be a great help. It is below as an image with all who suggested the fault types. It looks like the propshaft/UJ are the favourite but I need to eliminate the front tyres/tracking first:

http://www.flickr.com/x/t/0092009/photos/garethsworld/7375474102/

Cheers,

Gareth:Smile:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  20. motor roamin

motor roamin Funster

Gareth, it will more than likely be all four tyres not just fronts.

See my post :thumb:

All the best Rick