LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
There is some confusion on my comments on meat n veg in France So I will try to clear this up.
Meat:- the meat is great, tasty and not injected with water. (as far as we could tell) Howver it is very expensive. As to the butchery I am afraid I have to say that in my view it is poor. Meat especially things like steak should be cut across the grain, to aid tenderness not along it as we found in the areas of France we have been in, mainly Normandy, Brittany and the Loire. Also for example Lamb chops look as if they have cut by the mad axeman, bits of bone all over and some are like tissue paper and some like a joint.

Veg:- really expensive. Also we looked in the supermarkets, local veg shops and the markets. All the veg looked as if it was harvested last week. It looked tired!

OK I love France and have really enjoyed our trip, but as in the UK life is not perfect and I have told it like we found it. Nevertheless we look forward to our next trip. ::bigsmile:

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Ken,
my experience almost exactly, but I did find the local butchers presentation and quality much better (and more expensive) than the supermarkets in general.
Link Removed

Jun 22, 2011
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Nov 2010 after 25 yrs under canvas.
It's yummy!

Pork chops taste like pork used to taste, in the old days, whatever they look like!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Pork chops taste like pork used to taste, in the old days, whatever they look like!

Yes the pork is very good. Lamb n beef we found dissapointing. Have to say though the mince and the beefburgers were great. :thumb:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Did you try a Fray Bentos pie Ken as they normally have quality meat in them:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Pusser

Free Member
Jun 18, 2011
Bucks
Funster No
MH
A week away
Exp
On and off 1981

I love French Supermarkets especially the counters where they sell ready and steaming hot cooked meats and fish etc. Sadly, I am not allowed to have any but I just know I would love the taste.
I have always thought, (maybe assumed) that legumes in Tesco are pretty naff and normally flown in from across the world. Their fruit is laughable. The choice is eat when it's not ripe or eat when it goes mouldy.
We have always enjoyed meat from the major supermarkets but I think we have never bought, (perhaps once or twice) from a bespoke butcher and to be honest, I have no idea how meat should be cut as I am normally happy with "thick" and "a lot".
But I am seriously thinking that the average French restaurant is excruciatingly expensive and the quality seems to have deteriorated markedly from the 80's and 90's.
In fact I canvass against going to restaurants as I much prefer my wife’s cooking even though she burns it just to make sure we don't get any germs but our charcoal intake is more than adequate for a gas free existence.
One place and I know this sounds common, and that is we have never had anything but quality and price from Buffalo Inns or whatever they are called. They have horns on the roof maybe attached to a head I cannot remember. But this of course is not cuisine and to be honest, I am cuisined out and prefer really basic stuff almost two veg, meat and spuds and I am a happy soul. I have gone off chicken as for reason I don't know started feeling sorry for them just as I did veals.
However, I appear to have less sympathy for lams and piggy's and moo cows so I am not quite vegetarian yet. Just 3 animals to go.
The food in Spain I found to be pretty awful in general but of course there is always one place that you had a really good deal and quality meal.
I must go as it is ham roll time and I am a believer in brevity. :Cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back