Me Eberspacher

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by durhamahoy, Feb 26, 2014.

1. durhamahoy

durhamahoy Funster

Hi,
    Has anyone had the experience of replacing an Eberspacher air/water heater set up with say a Truma system?

Will it be expensive? i.e £500 plus a bit naive here I think

Thanks for any help and advice

Steve:Eeek:

2. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Firstly I would ask why would you want to replace a far superior system for an inferior one, unless of course you accidentally hit it with a sledge hammer and completely destroyed the Eberspacher.

• Like Like x 3
  3. durhamahoy

durhamahoy Funster

Very good point
    Steve

4. Bellini

Bellini Funster

Same as Snowbird. The Eberspacher is a superb bit of kit.

5. DeuceBG

DeuceBG Funster

Do any of you guys ever get any complaints about fumes or noise when using your Eberspacher?
    I've yet to use mine on a field but I have heard of people getting complaints from the neighbours on the Aires etc.

6. jb0371

jb0371 Read Only Funster

I will be the first, I will swap out my truma heater s5001 for your eberspacher, hell i will even drive up to yours and help swap it myself:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 5
  7. Snowbird

I know its more a case of belt and braces, but I have the choice of both the Eberspacher and the Truma 4000E gas blown air heater in the van. Although the Truma is good, its no match for the Eberspacher, which uses next to no diesel compared to the Trumas gas consumption. Diesel is available everywhere, whereas gas can become a problem when abroad.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

The Eberspacher on my MH (May actually be Webasto) will only work with the engine running, as it is intended just to act as a booster heater in cold weather.:Sad:

9. Snowbird

So did mine until this week. I used to have to allow it to go through the start up cycle. After it had gone through the start up it would run happily all night. I had it rewired with thicker cable into the 330 amp leisure batteries and now it works perfectly. They do pull a lot of amps on start up, but very little once running.

10. 1_man_and_his_dob(lo)

1_man_and_his_dob(lo) Funster

Haven't had a complaint with my Webasto so far, but I admit it can be a bit noisy, particularly when first started.

I'm probably not the best person to ask though - mine doesn't tend to get used for extended periods, e.g. overnight, and I try to make sure I'm not parked close to another motorhome when I use it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Bellini

Bellini Funster

I don't strictly have an Eberspacher. I have a Webasto.

Mine runs with or without the engine and can be switched on manually or activated by a 7 day timer.

On the two outings we've used it (both around freezing outside), it only needs to run at its minimum heat setting to keep Udo really warm inside.

I'd say that was as much due to RMB's excellent insulation as the effectiveness of the Webasto. We've never needed to have it on overnight.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  12. ericonabike

ericonabike Read Only Funster

Diesel do for me. In two years have only used two 6kg gas cylinders. Cost of diesel used infinitesimal.A bit noisy on start-up, but as others have said 'you hear yourself getting warm'. Jet engine whine goes away soon enough, and if anyone complains about that, they'd moan about something else anyway. We have two 85amp batts and a solar panel. recently in Belgium three nights with heating on most of time, no problem. Excellent bit of kit IMHO

• Like Like x 1
  13. andy63

andy63 Funster

I put an hydronic heater in my self build and a combitronic system to give the hot air and hot water. its plumbed into the engine as well so the engine also heats the water(ie you arrive with hot water). on hook up you have the option of using 240v to heat the water and the blown air.. think its a versatile set up and no complaints so far.. the timer function is also handy on cold trips...the van can be nice and warm before getting out of bed lol. :BigGrin: regards andy

• Like Like x 1
  14. FULL TIMER

FULL TIMER Read Only Funster

Eberspacher or similar every time for me, I've also used Webasto and Mikuni's. As for noise, silencers are available for the exhausts and combustion air intakes, with the latter making the most difference. Never had a complaint yet and mine is a D5 and a bit of a beast, I think if anyone really needs to complain then they have set up too close, this is easily prevented , we normally leave a genny outside ,and a Rotty chained up, one either side of the van, no one seems to get very close to us.

• Like Like x 1
  15. DeuceBG

DeuceBG Funster

Mine's a D5 that heats water and air.
    Can it be run on the air heat setting whilst driving the van and is it likely to be wired to run from the cab or leisure battery?

16. JJ

JJ Funster

A lone voice in the wilderness...

I don't like any system that needs two sources of power in order to warm you up.

Truma rools in my world.

JJ :Cool:

• Like Like x 1
  17. DeuceBG

DeuceBG Funster

Surely it needs 12v to run the blower and gas to provide the heat?

18. DeuceBG

DeuceBG Funster

I stand corrected, mine is actually a D4 Hydronic.
    Does anyone know how much difference an Air Intake Silencer makes to the noise levels?
    I already have one on the Exhaust side.

19. FULL TIMER

FULL TIMER Read Only Funster

The D4 & D5 Hydronics are pretty similar, I've never worked on the Hydronics myself so can't offer much help on the workings and operation of these.
    As far as the air intake silencer in my experience these are actually more effective than the exhaust silencers

20. DeuceBG

DeuceBG Funster

They're pretty straightforward with only a half dozen screws to remove for servicing.
    Glad to hear your positive input ref. the Intake Silencer as I've ordered one for delivery tomorrow. :thumb: