Me again sorry more questions

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Hudders1, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Hudders1

Hudders1 Read Only Funster

I have sorted some insurance out for this van if I get it but would it be possible to put lab belts in the side seats http://bit.ly/1gk3qFU please look at the pictures thanks

2. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi Mark yes it's possible, but you need to find something solid to fasten the lapbelts to :thumb: perhaps stright to the floor?:Wink:
    Terry

3. Hudders1

I can do that being a fabricator welder just need to figure it out flat plate drilled and taped to floor with two brackets with holes welded to it?

4. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Lap belts and side facing seats?

Mmmmmmm...........

I wonder whether, if you have a need for rear belts, that this purchase is a wise one.
    You could re-jig the layout I suppose. It might be with looking on the web for a minibus bench seat and floor runners.

Good luck with it.:thumb:

5. Phill D

Phill D

yes you can. BUT they wont be legal or count as passenger safety belts as they will not have the correct safety accreditation.

as said above lap belts are normally for rear facing seats only.

they might even be worse than not having a belt in the wrong circumstances.

i am sure you could do the work more than adequately, regrettably that wont be enough on its own to make them legal. good luck with the work

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  6. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

100% correct as I am sure Geo will confirm, insurance will be void and you will be in deep poo if you have an accident.

Peter

7. lorger

lorger Funster

Hi Mark

I don't want to tell you what to do as that's your choice, when we bought our first MH about 5 years ago we actually found one we really liked until I read about children with lap belts they can actually do more damage than no belts.

Also I'm sure although i may be wrong that if you have a proper seatbelt ie front passenger and no back ones then a child must use this before an adult so this would mean your wife would have to sit in the back with one of the kids upfront just have to pick your favourite one :Rofl1::Rofl1:.

As I said just giving some advise and would never tell anyone what they must do.

8. Hudders1

Ok thanks don't know what to do now as I have a 2 yo and 4 yo boys I have already thought about putting one of them I'm the front

9. lorger

lorger Funster

Mark don't give up your better to be Pee'd off now than buying a van you can't use. As someone else said your could always adapt the seats Brian aka hilldeweller did the opposite by turning a dinette in to an L shape lounge. I had a look in it at Chester and he has done a great job.

10. daisy mae

daisy mae Read Only Funster

Hi Mark,

Don`t give up. there is a solution to every problem, I am afraid lap belts or even three point seat belts are a no no on side facing seats, depending on the age of the van passengers not children can sit up at the end nearest to the cab seats with no seat belt, that is in my Autosleepers hand book, I have this problem now that I have changed MH before I had three belted seats, now only two, can have side seat changed to a dinette which would have three point seat belts fitted all legal, at a price, £2,500 from Autosleeper, gulp, so guess it will only be two in the cab now.

There must be a solution for you, it looks a great van especially for the price.

Good luck,

Margaret

11. Hudders1

I like it and went to see it and wanted it but not sure now with having two children and they must both be restrained.

12. Allanm

Allanm Funster

If it were me, I would be looking for 4 proper belted seats to keep everyone safe.
    There are companies that will design and fit proper belts to your van, I was looking at one a few days ago but can't remember who, a quick googling should give you a list of companies that can oblige and your insurance company would be ok with an approved installation
    Allan

• Like Like x 1
  13. Hudders1

Could I change the front seats to a three seat ?

14. Phill D

Phill D

not an easy one to resolve. i am sure your aware also that child seat / booster seats are required for children of certain ages / heights.

many UK manufactured vans claim to be 4 berth and can only travel with 2 belted passengers.:Doh: so really only 2 berths. :Sad:

there are some regulations that may allow travel without belts but the van will have to be manufactured before a certain date. i cant remember what that is ( its a bit like cars without rear seat belts that still on the road ) belts did not have to be fitted retrospectively.

15. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

16. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi Mark lets get one thing stright because theres a load of nonsense coming out about seat belts:Eeek:
    You can do/fit what you want its yourvan
    Never fit 3 point belts to side seats as 3 pointers can break peoples neck in accident
    Lap belts are fine but can alsocause injury to hips etc this has to be weighed up against no belts
    Do posters honestly belive converters go through crash tests etc,when they fit lap belts:Smile:
    Insurance null and void in accident because you fitted lap belts :Eek!:pure nonsense whos going to know who fitted them in the first place- you or original converter or possibility of several owners before you? Plus the same applies if you fit/convert your owns seats
    WHO EXACTLY checked my own self build ? ME :Eeek:
    All you can do is satisfy yourself everythings good and if that means fitting your own lap belts then so be it :BigGrin:
    It would be a doodle to fit lap belts to my van but I simply choose not to, gson is now 8 and wife is 60 so either sit in passenger seat or both lay down in the back Will either negate my insurance in event of a accident No :thumb:
    Terry

17. Phill D

Phill D

all of the above i agree with except " theres a lot of nonsense coming out about seat belts "

suggest this is read and make of this what you choose :Blush:

www.gov.uk/child-car-seats-the-rules/when-a-child-can-travel-without-a-car-seat

18. Phill D

Phill D

the 2 year old legally must travel in a child seat and must not be fitted to side facing seat.

over 3 years the law is that a child over 25kgs must be in a forward facing booster seat.

19. scousebird

scousebird Funster

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/magazine/articles/motorhome-seatbelt-law-and-best-practise/

I think you'll find that side facing seats are legally not designated travel seats and therefore should not have seatbelts fitted.

If you only have 2 seatbelts available then a travelling child has to use the "spare belt" so Terry your 8 year old should always travel in the passenger seat.

all children under 3 years old are legally required to be restrained in a vehicle.

• Like Like x 1
  20. scousebird

scousebird Funster

Another point is insurance. You should inform your insurance that you don't have enough belts for passengers - I bet you'll find they won't be too accommodating!