Me again, Phone and WiFi this time

Discussion in 'TV & Satellite' started by davethespark, Jul 29, 2016.

1. davethespark

davethespark Funster

Next question what can I get to improve poor cell phone signals so I can use my smart phone, In poor reception areas. Also is there a widget which would combine this with a device to improve wifi signal from free spots such as camp sites

Thanks again in anticipation Dave C

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

3. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

As far as I know the gadgets you can get to boost mobile phone signals are illegal as they are unapproved transmitters. You can buy them though!

The alternative would be a mifi with an external aerial, ideally a mimo type aerial with two leads. This will get you broadband and generate a local WiFi network.

4. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

The aren't illegal. It's perfectly legal to purchase and install them. The downside from a motorhoming point of view is that all the ones I'm aware of that work are designed to be permanently installed with a 230v supply and a high level antenna.

5. JJ

JJ Funster

The way I have solved these problems is by not staying anywhere without a satisfactory internet signal.

With good internet and Skype (plus a Skypeout account) I rarely use the normal GSM networks...

Luckily in Portugal, where I spend most of my time, both phone and mobile data signals are usually good.

JJ :cool:

6. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Good point, it may be possible to have fixed installations inside a building, where presumably it can be set up not to interfere with phones outside the building. However, Ofcom seem fairly sure of the position on mobile boosters: http://ask.ofcom.org.uk/help/telephone/repeat

What they say is:

"The unlicensed use of mobile repeaters is illegal in the UK. People using them can face a fine of up to £5,000 and up to a year in prison."

7. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

A repeater is not the same as a booster.

You can easily get boosters to cover 1000 sq m.

http://www.signalboostersuk.co.uk/products/Vodafone-GSM-900MHZ-Signal-Booster-Up-to-1000sqm.html

These are very similar to the ones we used to install quite regularly. They work perfectly.

One I installed myself in our office at the time changed no reception at all inside the building to full 3G which was all there was at the time.

I have seen ones claiming to cover 5000 and 10000 sq m but have no experience of them so I don't know how effective they are at those ranges.

• Thanks Thanks x 1