McDonalds wifi

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by Nigel&Debbie, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Nigel&Debbie

Nigel&Debbie Read Only Funster

Do you need a password to connect to the free wifi at McDonalds in France (or any other free wifi for that matter). If so, where do you get the passwords from?

Thanks

2. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

For McDonalds, No...
    Just connect to their signal, open your browser ( or sometimes it does it automatically) and accept the terms.. Bingo, online.
    Used it every day over the past week on our return from Spain..:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  3. ukbill

ukbill Funster

sometimes i have found that macdonalds signal in their car park is very low thats why i always use the booster also good for intermache some of them like you to use their wifi for free as well :Laughing::Laughing::Laughing:

4. camocam1

camocam1 Read Only Funster

all depends on the wifi

those that are free and NO password are probably not secure !!!
    those that are free but require a password are slightly more secure, normally get the password from cashier or some pubs etc have it printed at the bottom of the menu

never never use a free wifi to log into your bank !!!!!

• Like Like x 2
  5. olley

olley Funster

My understanding is that as you connect over HTTPS when banking, all your transactions are encrypted are even if intercepted, cannot be read, is this not the case? I know its unsafe to use internet café's computors because they could log your key presses, but ok to use your own?

Ian

• Like Like x 2
  6. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

You may be right, but I always use my dongle to access banks abroad if I need to, also whenever making a payment such as booking my return on the tunnel. I never book my return crossing before I leave as then I am tying myself down to a date which I do not like to do.

7. camocam1

all I can say is that I used my laptop when on holiday abroad at a local café to check bank balance for my company and a few days later had an unauthorosed transaction and after quite a few months the fraud team came back and said that the transaction had taken place due to someone logging my details over the internet and they suggested it must have been a free internet site as some of these are cloaned and you are actually going via somebody else's computer to access the internet and they are logging your logon details etc for use later on. I had all the bank protection on my laptop. It was no a small amount of cash either, thankfully (if that's right) it was my Co a/c and not my personal a/c

I no longer use my laptop in ANY public place !!!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

What about the situation where you have a secure token like HSBC give their customers how can someone hack your account then? Genuine question.

9. Peter & Elaine

Peter & Elaine Funster

How does all this fraud part work if you are using a app like Santander on a ipad that's what Elaine and I use
    It's got me thinking now ?

10. camocam1

Sorry can't answer that one for definite but would assume that it should be okay. same if you have a card reader but with mine you just entered everything online
    username
    password

then do transaction and enter a second password and transaction complete so if you are going through another computer they can see and record all your details, I always thought that everything was encrypted but seems they are actually viewing your laptop as you use it so before the encryption stage I believe. All too complicated for me but as I said I now never use unless I know the wifi is 100% secure

11. camocam1

what I forgot to say was that we got our money back eventually as they traced the various bank transfer all the way back ( think it went through 5 or 6 banks)

12. olley

olley Funster

Secured or unsecured, if there're are bad guys running the wifi it won't make any difference. It sounds to me as if possibly you had file sharing allowed, so they were able to access your computer when you connected to the wifi just as if you were on a works/home network.

But your right, you can't be to careful.

Ian

13. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

Just had a word with HSBC regarding using free WIFI for accessing a bank account with a Secure key. They don't see how anyone can gain access to my account without current Secure key values. (Providing the Secure key is always in my possession that is.) Having Rapport installed also helps.

Anyone disagree or have any other thoughts?

14. camocam1

if that's what your bank are saying then that's good as you will be covered if anything goes wrong, which hopefully it will not

• Like Like x 1
  15. normanandsue

normanandsue Funster

[/HI]

Thanks for confirming what I thought I already knew. This then prompts the question if you are away in France say, and you want to do some bank transactions, what is the safest way, any ideas?

Norman

16. JJ

JJ Funster

I might need help here!

I use two different banks online.

One will not pay anyone until I enter a 6 digit code which they text to my phone and the other uses the pin sentry thingy which needs a bank card and a pin code and then an eight digit number is sent to the thingy and then I enter it to confirm the payment. Sometimes I have to do this twice.

I use this on free wi-fi every now and again.

How do the fraudsters get hold of my £12.50 life savings...?

JJ:Cool:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013