MCC Licensing CL's for public use

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Jim, May 1, 2014.

1. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Some might recall the thread where I highighted the fact that the MCC appeared to have a dispensation to allow the public to use their CLs, while the rest of us exempted organisations were restricted to licensing sites strictly for our own members.

This was a disadvantage to MHFun because landowners could make more money if licensed for public use rather than limit themselves to one clubs members. So they would (and did) choose the MCC over us for that very reason.

It seems the MCC have now been made "aware that this is not acceptable. All exempted organisations holding a para 5 certificate are subject to the members only rule on their certificated sites"

This appears to be the position of Natural England and IMO it is the correct view to take and is in the spirit of the planning exemptions for club use. However, I would have been happy with either view, as long as we are all treated the same, hopefully from now on we will be.

• Like Like x 17
  2. gozomike

gozomike Funster Life Member Life Member

That could be interesting, I see the 'Nightstops' in Practical motorhome are run in conjunction with the MCC and you do not need to be a member.

3. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Interesting indeed, I didn't know that was the case.

4. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Thanks Jim. As I said on the other thread I, too, wrote to Natural England - but because I received the response whilst away last week I forgot to post an update :Doh:

I received the same information from Natural England and can see where they are coming from but they did confirm that, to the best of their knowledge, the issue has never been tested in court.

The ruling definitely does affect the Nightstops as well as the MCC CLs because, in law, they are no different.

It appears that several outcomes are now possible:
    1. MCC accepts the NE ruling and restricts their CLs and Nightstops to members only.
    2. MCC mounts a legal challenge against the NE ruling.
    3. MCC ignores the NE warning and has their exemption withdrawn (which would not only affect their CLs/Nightstops but also their ability to hold meets/rallies). That would also, presumably, result in a legal challenge by the MCC.

It will be interesting to see which occurs :Smile:

5. gozomike

gozomike Funster Life Member Life Member

Jim - I have just sent you a PM with actual text.

6. simbadog

simbadog Funster

I didn't know the MCC had any camp sites? Thought they just held cricket matches!

I'll get me coat :Smile:

• Like Like x 9
  7. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

of course they do......lovely big and level fields when they aint playing cricket on them. :thumb:

• Like Like x 3
  8. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

If that is so then your meddling has effectively shut not only my site but hundreds of others, well done, very public spirited.:Sad: Price will have to go up now for future rallies to cover the shortfall. Funsters lose out as well.

Last edited: May 1, 2014
    • Like Like x 3
  9. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Who knows what the MCC will do, they have a number of options outlined by Graham above. There are thousands of CLs that operate for one club and they are open, why should you be any different.:Doh: There is no reason why the MCC should be treated differently to the rest of us. If you consider my complaining about that injustice as 'meddling' then that's up to you, I certainly don't think so.

• Like Like x 7
  10. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

Aren't we lucky !!

Good ole James !! :Blush: Any other forum administrator (aka Hitler) would be posting banning notices all over the shop by now !!:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

Fun rools....ok !!:Cool::Cool::Cool:

• Like Like x 4
  11. simbadog

simbadog Funster

What or who is the MCC then?

12. Brisey

Brisey Funster Life Member

MCC is the Motor Caravanners Club.

13. canopus

canopus Funster Life Member

Also Marelybone Cricket Club :Rofl1:

14. sedge

sedge Funster

MCC is the Motor Caravan Club.

Caravan Club CL's have ALWAYS been members only, as are C&CC CS's as far as we know.

Why should any other club operate under different rules when it's the same people issuing the exemption certificates? Rules are sposed to be applied the same to everyone, surely?

Everybody gets the same interpretation and unless you can show there are special circumstances that the certificate issuer agreed to when they granted the licence, how is there a legal challenge?

• Like Like x 1
  15. simbadog

simbadog Funster

Thanks for that :Smile: Never heard of em!
    Just had a look at their website, nice :Eek!:

16. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Hundreds Roger? The MCC web site lists 72 CLs and 31 Nightstops.

I would hardly call it meddling by Jim. A very similar question was raised on the CC's own forum in February and has run to 640 posts. My own contact with Natural England indicates that they were taking action against the MCC well before the other thread opened on here a couple of weeks ago.

Like any other legislation the 1960 Act should apply equally to all and should be obeyed equally by all. The problem is that the wording regarding CLs is ambiguous. As I stated on the other thread, my interpretation is the same as the MCC's appears to be but Natural England disagree. Both interpretations could be argued in court but it is only the court which can make a definitive decision if the MCC does not do as NE want.

EDIT. The other aspect is that if the MCC are issuing certificates other than in accordance with the Act then all the CL sites are operating without either licence or valid certificate and, potentially, could have action taken against them. It is, therefore, in the interests of the CL owners for the legal position to be clarified.

Last edited: May 1, 2014
    • Like Like x 6
  17. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Thanks for the link, I tried to read it but quickly lost the will to live Graham:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 2
  18. Malcolm Bolt

Malcolm Bolt Funster Life Member

It's for times like this that this forum needs an 'I don't like this' button.
    Really Roger I am very sorry if the outcome of all this means you need to change your use of the field but you should not try to blame others.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Being an inconsiderate wilder I have little use for any of em :Smile:

• Like Like x 7
  20. camocam1

camocam1 Read Only Funster

Have found that many CC CL's and CCC CS's are attached to sites or rally fields which are open to everyone
    Stayed on a CC CL on angelsey where it was one "field" split into 3 areas
    CC CL
    CCC CS
    General caravan site
    They have now closed both the CL & CS as they did NOT pay !!!!