Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
My mc4 extention cables arrived this evening and naturally to show her indoors how secure a fit they would be, I attempted to insert male into female, only to have to admit, 'I can't get it in dear'! :winky:
So on closer investigation there appeared to be some sort of obstruction deep down in the depths of the female part, so, I inserted a small tool, (thats what she said :RollEyes:) and managed to retrieve the item in the picture.
Now before someone says 'that is supposed to be in there, or she's going to get pregnant now, there was no way in ten months of sundays that the male was going to enter the female. Please see picture for the offending item. Answers on a postcard as this is my first encounter into Mc4 world..:thumb:

DSC_0705.jpg

OP
OP
Emmenay

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
It's called a hymen clip.

Well hymen to that Brian, whats that then and what is doing in the connector, or not now as the case may be?

HaHa just googled it LMAO

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
::bigsmile:

OK, I have seen that clip many times. It's an insert that acts as a spring retainer. The spiky bits lock it in a hole and the inner bits create friction to retain a shaft pushed in.

I've no idea if that is how it should be in your connector, now you know what it does see if it might work with the male side.

Maybe it was not pushed down far enough ????

OP
OP
Emmenay

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
It certainly does not belong, not a component of an mc4

Oh boy am I glad you said that, I was beginning to think I had fubard it. :cry:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I think I understand what Brian is saying but I've never encountered one of these but even if it was to retain the pin it would not be required once the back nut was tightened up. As long as you have continuity through the connector it is fine and would serve no part to play in the weather protection rating

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I think I understand what Brian is saying

They are in a lot of push together two part plastic assemblies. Peg in one half, hole with clip in the other.

It looks wrong for electrical.

Big question, were these in both connectors ?

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The pins already have a no return spur on them to prevent withdrawal after insertion
Oops pardon lol
MC4%201-M.jpg

OP
OP
Emmenay

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
They are in a lot of push together two part plastic assemblies. Peg in one half, hole with clip in the other.

It looks wrong for electrical.

Big question, were these in both connectors ?

I won't know until tomorrow morning, the other female is on the end of the panel.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You smutty lot ... I know you're not talking about electrical stuff at all.:Blush:

You've all been watching too many 'carry on' movies with their 'double entendre' phrases!!!! :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Emmenay

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
Sussed it!

Not satisfied with simply leaving the piece out I googled the assembly method of Mc4's, I soon learned that there should be an audible click when you insert the pins into the plastic bodies, and that they will not pull out without a 'special' tool,
Having just dismantled the suspect female part for the umpteenth time and not hearing any click, the pin just drops out of the plastic body with no effort. That cannot be right me thinks so I set about dismantling the male version and soon find the pin will not pull out. On closer inspection there is an identical metal retainer in there on the back end, now i've seen this I rebuild the female side with the clip in the same place and hey presto, click and its locked in.
So, some stupid oaf had put the retainer in the main body of the female, and not in the back end where it should have been.
Moral of the story, when you're dealing with the female, make sure you stick your retainer in the right end otherwise things get messy!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back