MBG warranty

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by BFM14, Mar 29, 2016.

1. BFM14

BFM14 Funster

just been quoted £800 for three years warranty through a large dealer in Nottingham. Two questions

Is there a big mark up the initial price because of the dealer?

Is the warranty worth the paper it is written on because of exclusions?

Vehicle is two years old with no problems at last Hab check a week ago.

All advice is welcome. Thank you

2. Jim

Jim Ringleader

What are the exclusions?

3. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

If it helps we as an independent garage wont take on warranty work,
    To best help you answer your question, have a ring round your local workshops to see how many, if any do ?
    Are you aware of warranty pit falls, ie mechanical breakdown warranty does not include things that have worn out, they have to "break"
    other small print stuff such as you pay for dismantling:rolleyes: and when inspected if the claim is denied your stuck with a motor in bits.
    Experience has shown AA-RAC warranties are among the best.
    Im sure others who have made claims will be along soon. but do check your local workshops with an imaginary fault, just to see what response you get first.
    G

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Mr Colpot

Mr Colpot Funster

Probably most things that go wrong. We had Silver Cover and we had an EGR Valve go on a previous Van and it wasnt covered but the dealler (Wellsbridge) did replace it themselves, also on current van the Throttle Gate went and it wasnt covered (SMC replaced it) Having said that I did get the Alternator replaced although it took a bit of discussion. We decided not to renew but at least we know if it goes wrong now its going to cost us rather then going through a will they wont they scenario. Also excludes things like the overcab insulation issue which we had to sort ourselves.

5. canopus

canopus Funster Life Member

We bought our current van privately which came with an MBG warranty. We had a problem with a crankshaft positioning sensor, which in itself cost £50, but the labour to establish that the sensor was faulty and the subsequent labour to fit it cost a lot more. MBG said the sensor wasn't covered under the terms of our policy.
    However, when the policy was about to expire, MBG got in touch and seemed very keen for me to extend it. I spoke to them on the phone and they asked why I hadn't extended to which I replied too expensive, and they'd refused my earlier claim. The dropped the price by £25 there and then but I still declined.

£800 is a lot of money. I bet if you rang MBG direct they wouldn't charge you that much.

Warranty Insurance is well and good till you have to claim and then you find out just how good.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  6. mikebeaches

mikebeaches Funster

I had a disappointing experience trying to claim from MB&G Warranty.

We bought a second-hand Rapido from a reputable dealer in March '10, and 12 months breakdown cover was included in the sale. The van was fully serviced and had 12 months MOT.

Four months later I noticed brake fluid running down the inside rear wheel of one of the tyres.

To cut a long story short, rear brakes on both sides had to be renewed (shoes and cylinders etc) - total cost at local garage about £240, which I didn't think was too unreasonable.

However, after much exchange of correspondence, the maximum MB&G would cough up was £80! The dealer was good enough to match that with another £80, and I settled the balance. But MB&G were completely unreasonable (in my opinion) and I only gave up the battle with them after about three letters, deciding life was too short...

Personally, I wouldn't do business with them again.

7. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Looks like they had you on the consequential damage clause
    in your case they were prepared to cover the cost of the wheel cylinder that failed, but not the damage it caused ie the shoes etc
    I wonder what they will pay for in a cam belt failure situation? A new belt £30:eek:
    you find the other £1500:whistle:

• Like Like x 1
  8. mikebeaches

mikebeaches Funster

Exactly so! Not covered for consequential damage.

9. tofo

tofo Funster

had my engine go bang ( destroyed )
    they paid a £1000 including vat
    towards £4000 new engine
    at £800 think i would pass
    on the chance of saving £200

and i think it was mbg at the time
    but it was thrown in with the van

10. eddievanbitz

eddievanbitz Trader - Funster

Like Geo we will not undertake insurance warranty work.

It often seems that nothing is covered, it takes too long to get approval and then we wait ages to get paid.

• Like Like x 2
  11. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

Under EU rules everything is guaranteed for 2 years . The first 6 months with who it was purchased from
    ( Unless local legislation offers greater benefits ) & the following 18 months direct with the manufacturer.

So in the UK's case the first 12 months would be with the dealer, under UK law, with the following 12 months through the dealer direct with manufacturer.

12. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

New, not second hand

13. eddievanbitz

eddievanbitz Trader - Funster

The motorhome is two years old so this doesn't apply

14. The Wino

The Wino Funster

I would also see what terms are required to keep the warranty valid there can be a big difference in Hab service costs and Lowdhams are amongst the most expensive!!

15. nomadic

nomadic Funster

When we purchased our Hymer Starline, from a dealer up north, it came with a three year warranty, cost £495.00. I tried to get them to drop the warranty and reduce the price by £495.00. They refused, thank goodness.

When in Spain, a power surge killed the electrobloc. We we returned to UK, arranged for an exchange unit with Brownhill , boss said "is this covered by the warranty?"....which we found was, original fitting, so got a full refund plus labour charge for time involved, which they specified.

The following year, we pulled of a pitch, heard a clank, looked out to find a piece of leaf spring lying on the pitch. Limped to our service garage, contacted MB&G, they wanted us to accept a factors replacement spring, for the failed side only, and told us were to obtain it, or them if I wanted a pair. They admitted it is best practice to replace both but as only one was broken, that was the limit of their liability, plus 1.5 hours labour. After contacting the supplier, they wanted two/three weeks to deliver. When we reported this to MB&G they agreed to fund genuine Merch. springs.

The electrobloc cost was around £400.00 and the springs were £400.00 each plus 1.5 hrs labour, they paid for one spring.

So overall we gained on the original £495.00 but I would not take another insurance warranty out.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. BFM14

BFM14 Funster

Than you to all who replied. From my own experience with other warranty insurance, it is hardly worth the paper it is written on. Nice to know that I am not alone in thinking this.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Cavs

Cavs Funster

I have some experience of MB&G warranty claims:
    1. They paid for a failed Truma boiler mains heating element, with authorisation given by phone to a mobile technician who was at my home.
    2. They paid for failed suspension air bags on the rear nearside, but refused to pay for new ones on the offside, which had not failed. Their technician agreed that it was good practice to do both sides but the underwriter wouldn't have it.
    3. They refused to pay towards fixing a gearbox sensor problem because it was associated with a wiring loom, which is in the list of exclusions. The job took 10 minutes once diagnosed, but the (discounted) labour charge was about £500, with difficult access on an A class.

I discovered that they have a maximum labour rate, which did not meet the charge from a Fiat main dealer, even had they accepted a claim.

18. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

aah, daydreaming again.:doh::blusher:

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

We got a 3yr RAC warranty for £500 ... claimed 450 ish for a throttle body replacement and got a no quibble payout
    Wouldn't get another one though.