DEADSFO

Free Member
Feb 3, 2013
Manchester
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Exp
I am looking at a self build on a merc 508 ,the details of which are as follows ex nato reserve ambulance 1987 1000/5000 kilometers ONLY rust free, lhd.swb. internally like brand new,
cost £4800 inc vat,a bit expensive for its age but obviously priced up to take account of the negligible mileage.
My only major concern is it has the OM314 3.7LTR ENGINE which though completely bombproof is going to be heavy on fuel, slow and noisy,slow Im not in a rush anyway ,noise that can be worked on,fuel 20/24mpg is that realistic? I would welcome any advice on this vehicle from users or past users.
I notice a thread old M.H's v new MH's this thread coincides with it a bit

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
There is a thread somewhere on these from a couple of months back. Are they ex German military by any chance.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
50 feet away from me, here in Morocco is a family of 6 in a converted Merc 508. "D" reg. :thumb:
Been chatting with them tonight at our Funsters Morocco singalong club and the guy said 45mph was his top speed but it's got them this far....::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Hi!

Our old 608, 1986, 6.5 tonnes gross, would cruise along all day at her most comfortable speed - 50/55ish. Regular 24/25mpg whatever the load. With the proper engine cover (many seem to have been tampered with over the years) the noise was not excessive at all - no problem at all having normal conversation or listening to music.
At 611.000kms she went to India and back covering 29.000k in 2 years, and going through mot on her return, getting an advisory due to the rear number plate deteriorated. She then did several trips to North Africa. She's still going strong now with her new owner - well, he's had her for a couple of years now and has had no trouble at all with her.
The vehicle you are looking at would be a bargain.
And all parts are available from MB at reasonable prices, should you ever need them. On ebay.de there are pages and pages of new and used spares every day.
Recommend 100%!
Still the most reliable van you can buy.

(See my pic album)

:thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
D

DEADSFO

Free Member
Feb 3, 2013
Manchester
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Exp
45mph must have been into a headwind all the way,yes they are the same merc ambulances I will try to find the thread,very encouraged by the last post 50/55 will do me,and 24/25mph I have returned less returned less tugging a caravan with some vehicles

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
If its the ones am thinking of some are 4X4 and if they are ex ambulances they will have the high ratio dif. There are ways of upping the ratio like replacing the dif or using bigger wheels.

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Hi, Been reading this topic and there 's some good advice, we looked at some 508s when we were in the market, what we found personley that did not meet our requirements wish 1, to short for a conversion, 2, flat roof, not half moon version , probably the ambulance is more fitting in for standing up, also found it to be a bit slow Not like one of the reply's 45mph,But easily can be came over by fitting a coach diff as when have done on our,s also a must have 5 peed gear box and not 4, which i expect the one doing 45mph Has, we found our mercedes/hobby and after the coach diff was fitted we cruse comfortable all day at 90/100 kph all day, with a return of 28mpg, and i would say this, in my oppinion you would not find a better vehicle than the veteran Mercedes, they are reliable , robust , strong, not the fastest on the block but Will always get you there and any where you want them to go, being rear wheel drive, our's is in the funster garage if you want to look, lastley i would look for the old 608 model and i think this would fit your bill niceley, if need any more advice or question please don't hesitate to ask you are welcome , have fun looking for your dream, Alf.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi if they are the ex mil ones that Sbowbird mentions they were the short W/B ones and only 10 ft long in the back this could seriously limit your build
Quite a few turning up on ebay that are already converted for not a lot of money,and less than 100,000 mls - just run in --- I would look at them,and rip them out to start again ::bigsmile: doing the conversion I wanted rather than someones elses
terry
give this a look at -cannot find the thread on the 308s/508
Broken Link Removed

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

DEADSFO

Free Member
Feb 3, 2013
Manchester
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Exp
merc508 conversion

I agree 10ft is getting a bit short, especially when you are powering it with a 3.7ltr, wallnuts and sledge hammers spring to mind.The 608swb internal length is quoted at 3.170mtrs (or about 10ft -5" in real money)at 5.45mtr long but the 508 o/all length is quoted at 5.6mtrs and with the engine being part in the cab with that funny rounded front it could be that the internal length is stretched to around about 11ft-6" ,I'm only giving it an educated guess and chasing inches here but that length I could live with, after all all conversion are a mixture of compromise and ingenuity to obtain the conversion you can fit in,bed, sink, stove, cupboards, fridge ,bathroom ,after that its superfluous.Gas bottles are usually a pain ,needing to be somewhere convenient if you dont want to cut the body for a locker,one solution is an underslung refillable if the money will run to it.I intend to make an appointment and have a ride over to Doncastet and give them a good coat of looking at very soon I will let you know how I go on.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Would that be Bawtry near Doncaster ? if so they will be discribed accuraetly :thumb: they sell lots of Ex mod stuff
terry

OP
OP
D

DEADSFO

Free Member
Feb 3, 2013
Manchester
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Exp
merc 508 conversion

Its Jacksons at the Rocket site I have been before ,a friend bought a Landrover there some years back, an enormous site ,tanks and trucks of all descriptions,they do seem a straight up outfit,I just want touch the merchandise run my tape over a few areas and just have a look around and under the body for the demon rust

Pucapaca

Free Member
Feb 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
508 and vario
Hi, Been reading this topic and there 's some good advice, we looked at some 508s when we were in the market, what we found personley that did not meet our requirements wish 1, to short for a conversion, 2, flat roof, not half moon version , probably the ambulance is more fitting in for standing up, also found it to be a bit slow Not like one of the reply's 45mph,But easily can be came over by fitting a coach diff as when have done on our,s also a must have 5 peed gear box and not 4, which i expect the one doing 45mph Has, we found our mercedes/hobby and after the coach diff was fitted we cruse comfortable all day at 90/100 kph all day, with a return of 28mpg, and i would say this, in my oppinion you would not find a better vehicle than the veteran Mercedes, they are reliable , robust , strong, not the fastest on the block but Will always get you there and any where you want them to go, being rear wheel drive, our's is in the funster garage if you want to look, lastley i would look for the old 608 model and i think this would fit your bill niceley, if need any more advice or question please don't hesitate to ask you are welcome , have fun looking for your dream, Alf.
Hi , is a 508 more reliable than a vario 614 ?

Pucapaca

Free Member
Feb 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
508 and vario
Hi , is a 508 more reliable than a vario 614 ?
Hi , is the 508 more reliable than the vario 614 ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back