Mazda Bongo ??

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Toffs-G, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Toffs-G

Toffs-G Read Only Funster

Hi,

I am thinking of buying a second car (now that I am married) and was thinking of maybe getting a Mazda Bongo. Budget about 10k. It seems it would be easier than the MH for days out and work well as a car?

Does anyone have any experience/opinions etc?

Thanks
    Gary

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Hi Gary

I've also been looking at them as an alternative to having two vehicles .. plenty for sale and they have a big following.. but was put off by the low MPG .. from what I've read the 2.5diesel only manages the low twenties.. it will be interesting to hear from owners if this is the case..

There is a nice one for sale in the classifieds, an auto petrol, it may be better.. but I doubt it .. I used to run a petrol HiAce van that barely managed 20 mpg

3. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

Have a look at the Nissan Elgrand - slightly bigger in body size, but not prone to head gaskets and no cam belt to worry about!!:thumb:

You can pick one up for around 5-8K or 10K converted to a four berth camper. People I know that own them have not a bad word to say - and with nissans' reliability record to boot.

4. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Thanks, any idea of MPG ?

5. rainbow chasers

Average is 30mpg - mate reckons he gets 35 - he doesn't drive like a loon though! lol!

Nissan are good for power-to-weight ratio, and use bigger engines (3.0t & 3.2t). It aids both economy and life of the engine - (my last nissan was sold at 576,000 miles)

If you get a petrol/lpg one, then you can look at something like 50.(equiv)

If you want the recovery technicians view......i have recovered plenty of bongos - NEVER an elgrand....in fact on 3 nissans ever - one was a 280,000 sunny with a fuel pump gone, other two were crash damaged!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nissan-ELGRAN...ewItemQQptZAutomobiles_UK?hash=item5884b0898c
    Begging for LPG -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nissan-Elgran...mpers_Caravans_Motorhomes?hash=item1c10d6fc3e

Camper

6. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

Never owned either but a mate uses a Nissan Elgrand cabbing and would not use anything else, proved very reliable.

Dave :thumb:

7. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

So for the odd day out you want an oldish complex vehicle when instead you could get a new/newish vehicle, cheap to run and respectable to go anywhere in.

You need a good management consultant !

8. lesleyjean

lesleyjean Funster

I have a Mazda Bongo and my son also has one. The reason that I am selling mine is because there is only ever 2 of us travelling in it and the rear of the vehicle is never used. Although I love them I am looking for a smaller car more suitable for 2 people. I just use my Bongo as a car and have never slept in it. I have my motorhome for holidays and weekends. I bought it because I just love them. My Bongo does about 25 miles to the gallon. My son likes to travel and will go to Newcastle or Southport just for the weekend, one hell of a mileage for a weekend. My son sometimes sleeps in his. I personally think they are excellent vehicles and they have a huge following in the UK. I still love them but as there is just the two of us the rear is surplus to requirements, but each to their own. Have a look on http://www.bongofury.co.uk/website.

Just my view.:BigGrin:

Lesley

9. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Used to have a VW T4 as an everyday vehicle with the 1.9 non turbo diesel. It was very good on MPG and very comfortable and reliable.
    Quite like the Ford similar to the Bongo,is it a Frendee or somthing.
    Was looking at one last year,everything electric,including the bed,even the curtains were electric. Also not to big,so it could be used as everyday transport.
    Am thinking along the lines of A framing somthing like this.

10. rainbow chasers

The bongo cannot be flat towed, unfortunately! You would be fine with a berlingo, or acty type thing!