Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
My maxview crank up dish works perfectly in France:winky: and I have used ordinary dishes on a tripod in most of Europe in my caravaning days.

I am surprised that you have had issues Micheal:winky:

I also agree with John. I have one of the suitcase type of dishes & have never failed to get a picture all over Europe as far South as South West Portugal.
I helped a friend of mine set his Maxview up at Alcossebre and got an excellent picture within a few minutes
The signal is very weak down there & therefore takes some practice & the web site John mentioned gave me all the help I needed. We are at the moment at Parc Verger with all channels & Jean watching Corrie..... well nowts perfect :ROFLMAO:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Hi, to be honest I am not to sure if I am doing this right, some people like yourselve say that you can get pictures etc, I can,t I have a maxiview 63cm dish with a sky javelin freeview box. I understand that satillites like astra 2D send their signels on two poles, and that one needs to change the software within the box to pick up the southern pole, To be honest I DON,T know how to do this as the box was 2nd hand and I only just found out this information.
Would it work better with a newer freeview box, or do I need a freeview sky card.

would be interested to know more.
terry

I know I am repeating myself, but I cannot emphasize how important reading the web site www.satelliteforcaravans.co.uk will help you understand how it all will works. It's written in simple terms, it must be I managed it. :ROFLMAO:

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Help wanted with the suitcase version please

We are going to the Newark show, if we brought our suitcase model along, could any of you 'stars' give us a demonstration on how to set it up please?

If it wont work then maybe we will have a good look at the maxiview, I dont think we can justify the camos at the moment. Would the suitcase model work with a sky receiver? or just the freeview receiver it came with??

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Keith and Jean, is your motorhome an Autocruise Starburst, it looks just like ours from what I can see in the small photo, I haven't worked out how to view a larger image yet.

How have you erected your suitcase dish, is it attached to the van by the suckers, or do you have it on a tripod??

Ginny and Mike

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
We are going to the Newark show, if we brought our suitcase model along, could any of you 'stars' give us a demonstration on how to set it up please?

If it wont work then maybe we will have a good look at the maxiview, I dont think we can justify the camos at the moment. Would the suitcase model work with a sky receiver? or just the freeview receiver it came with??

I use my suitcase sat. dish with an old Sky box I have had since 1990. I subscribe to Sky & take my card with me so I can get more channels than the standard Sky free channel card.
We will be at Newark, using my dish, so if you want to have a look at my Heath Robinson set up feel free. We are Keith & Jean in the Autocruise Starseeker.
With the wee dish & the Scottish number plate. :Cool:

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Should we bring the Sat receiver or the Free View, or maybe both just to see if we can set them up??

Ginny and Mike

Lampie

Free Member
Nov 2, 2007
Derby
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
Can't understand why it has been said on this thread " can't get anything after mid way in France " .

Two years running not a problem on the south coast of France and last year lake Garda worked fine. Ok in Garda it did take a while to latch on but once it did it was fine. As mentioned print out the info on satellite for caravans site worth keeping with you.

I did change the settings to the second beam but changed back to UK settings. It worked don't see why it won't again in Italy this year.

Regards

Lampie. ( maxiview crank up )

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Can't understand why it has been said on this thread " can't get anything after mid way in France " .

Two years running not a problem on the south coast of France and last year lake Garda worked fine. Ok in Garda it did take a while to latch on but once it did it was fine. As mentioned print out the info on satellite for caravans site worth keeping with you.

I did change the settings to the second beam but changed back to UK settings. It worked don't see why it won't again in Italy this year.

Regards

Lampie. ( maxiview crank up )

Hi I too can't understand as we managed to get full coverage down as far as Zaragossa then only partial coverage at Javea with this dish on our Allegro in the summer of 2006

Sorry not a good pic but you can see it was a small dish:thumb:

Link Removed

Regards Pat

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Roof

hey finally get to show my roof shot:winky:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Link Removed

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Should we bring the Sat receiver or the Free View, or maybe both just to see if we can set them up??

Ginny and Mike

Bring it all & I will show you my setup & see if we can make it work for you.
Cross fingers I can get mine setup. :Blush:

Look foreword to meeting you Ginny & Mike

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Bring it all & I will show you my setup & see if we can make it work for you.
Cross fingers I can get mine setup. :Blush:

Look foreword to meeting you Ginny & Mike

Sounds like we're having a training seminar then Keith :thumb:

I'll bring old sat reciever fishing rod & gaffa tape.:thumb:

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Looking forward to the show!

Hi Keith, thanks for the offer of help, we have just returned from the coast and are looking forwards to Newark and meeting lots of new friends.

Ginny and Mike

S

stagman

Deleted User
Satellite

I have a Maxview Crankup system and a receiver from Maplin same as the maxview box but different label £50, fitted it all myself no problem just take your time,it all works great,used it as far down as the Dordougne in France works great loads channels bbc1 2 3 ,Wales ITV all of them plus loads others inc films all free and Radio channels wake up to Wogan in the morning if you want or listen to Planet Rock absolutely loads of channels.

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I have a Maxview Crankup system and a receiver from Maplin same as the maxview box but different label £50, fitted it all myself no problem just take your time,it all works great,used it as far down as the Dordougne in France works great loads channels bbc1 2 3 ,Wales ITV all of them plus loads others inc films all free and Radio channels wake up to Wogan in the morning if you want or listen to Planet Rock absolutely loads of channels.

cheers stagman and welcome to the funsters forum.
i'll have a look at maplins website.:thumb:

john.

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Instructions for setting up the Sat Dish!!

Hi Keith

Thanks for the master class on setting up the satellite dish at Newark. I have made a list of the instruction, could you please check them and point out any errors!!

We really enjoyed the weekend and the best part was meeting new friends and talking for hours

1. Try to park MH in the right direction in relation to the external aerial!
2. Point to East – 15% vertical
3. Disconnect receiver from power, attach Sat Finder to dish then plug in receiver.
4. Whistling from Sat Finder
5. Turn Sat finder down to 1 or 2 lights only.
6. Rotate dish clockwise until all lights are on again.
7. Tighten all wing nuts securely
8. Disconnect Sat receiver from power
9. Remove Sat Finder
10. Reconnect Sat cable to dish and connect power to the receiver.
11. Go to INFO on the receiver and adjust until a good signal is available.

Ginny and Mike

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Hi Keith

Thanks for the master class on setting up the satellite dish at Newark. I have made a list of the instruction, could you please check them and point out any errors!!

We really enjoyed the weekend and the best part was meeting new friends and talking for hours

1. Try to park MH in the right direction in relation to the external aerial!
2. Point to East – 15% vertical. Point 'the dish' to the East & have the dish vertical. This is for the UK, Europe will be different with the dish sloping further back.
3. Disconnect receiver from power, attach Sat Finder to dish then plug in receiver. NB The reason for this is that the small current that the cable carries can damage the receiver if it shorts.
4. Whistling from Sat Finder
5. Turn Sat finder down to 1 or 2 lights only.
6. Rotate dish clockwise until all lights are on again.That is rotate the dish towards the South from the initial easterly direction.
7. Tighten all wing nuts securely
8. Disconnect Sat receiver from power
9. Remove Sat Finder
10. Reconnect Sat cable to dish and connect power to the receiver.
11. Go to INFO on the receiver and adjust until a good signal is available.

Ginny and Mike

Hi Mike,

I think some of your instructions could be a bit confusing so I have added some comments which will make things clearer........I hope. :thumb:

cpease

Free Member
Mar 16, 2008
Morley,Leeds up North
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit stealth van
Exp
since June 2006
Satellite Dish

I started with a home sky dish on a tripod, but i got bored trying to get a signal in france & northern france. so sod it & bite the bullit buy a camos dome lot of dosh but worth it spend it now you cant take it with you or your kids will only spend it for you,

chris

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
Just got my MAXVIEW crank up from LCS at the Newark show. £345. Fitted today piece of cake, sat there now watching sky news with the sat finder in line, its a doddle. :thumb:

Don

Lampie

Free Member
Nov 2, 2007
Derby
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
Well done, it's easy once you have drilled the hole, no going back then. I don't use a sat finder with mine just the meters in the service section of sky. Always worked ok even in Italy.

Regards

Lampie

cpease

Free Member
Mar 16, 2008
Morley,Leeds up North
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit stealth van
Exp
since June 2006
have tried sky dish on tripod fed up trying to get signal in france & northern spain. so sod it buy a camos dome . you only live once & cant take it with you. after you have gone your kids will only spend it so spend now.

RichardnGill

Free Member
Sep 22, 2007
Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I have been looking for a roof mounted sat dish recently and I have found this Link Removed
as an alterntive to the Max View crank up. Has anyone seen or used one?

Richard...

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I have been looking for a roof mounted sat dish recently and I have found this Link Removed
as an alterntive to the Max View crank up. Has anyone seen or used one?

Richard...

bugger !!!!!!!!!!!!wish i'd seen that one first. Link Removed
bought a maxview at newark, £375, and fitted it myself today. a doddle to install if you follow the manual.:thumb:

john

Link Removed

RichardnGill

Free Member
Sep 22, 2007
Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
and fitted it myself today. a doddle to install if you follow the manual

If you fancy doing another I could pop down your way with our van...:Smile:

Seriously was it easy?

Richard....

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If you fancy doing another I could pop down your way with our van...:Smile:

Seriously was it easy?

Richard....

hi richard,
the hardest part was finding somewhere to put it.
the dimensions state 700mm clearance from center all round plus 100mm from the edge of the roof.
in my case impossible due to aircon unit in front, heki rooflight at the back, heater flue and status aerial to one side and the toilet rooflight to nthe other.
after a quick check i figured the dish would not be obstructed by anything once cranked up so i set it about 600mm from the aircon but made sure it was far enough from the heki rooflight to lay flat once dropped to the park position.

i fixed it to the roof with sikaflex 512 and its like sh** to the proverbial blanket.

the 32mm hole thru the roof is pretty important, it MUST be drilled at 90deg to the roof or the tube and spindle wont fit through. the hole, imho, could be 35mm without problems.

the length of the tube and spindle ARE CRITICAL, too long and it will be too tight to turn, too short and it might not reach the housing. measurements are easy but measure twice(4 times in my case)cut once. it says tap the tube with a hammer if neccesery........DONT, it will buckle. just work at it 'til it goes in.

good luck

john.

the rest is easy peasy just follow the instructions

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back