Maxview crank-up Sat Dish mount leaking

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by magicsurfbus, May 29, 2012.

1. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

We had the dish fitted new in March by a MH service engineer and used it over Easter. Now after a few weeks in storage (and some heavy rain) I notice the interior ceiling panels have separated slightly along the line of a wooden joist, and there's fresh rust on the internal metal components of the dish swivelling mechanism. The van was damp tested prior to the installation and was clear.

He's coming back to look at it and see what he can do, but has anyone else had this problem with this make of unit, and if so, what was the cause? Insufficient sealant or the actual construction of the mount?

2. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

I can only say had mine fitted almost 5 years ago.. No issues....
    Never heard of any issues with the actual dish casing or mechanism but I would get up there to check it myself and confirm if it's product or installation fault.
    Doesn't sound good...:Sad:

3. Terry

Terry Funster

Installation fault. Too many around and no other leaks that I have heard of :Doh: no doubt the installer will deny any wrong :Wink:
    terry

4. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Agree, bad installation,

I had one on the RV (self fitted) and no leaks over three years full time. Lots of other issues with it, but not water ingress related..

5. laneside

laneside Funster

Yes have to agree with the others we self fitted one and in three years it never leaked.

Thinking about how it fitted it would have to be done real bad to leak

Give em hell

6. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

The same fitter damp-checked the van a few weeks before the installation and found nothing. To be fair he's not disputing the evidence of rust inside the brand new swivel mount, and is coming to check it pretty sharpish. I've just removed the square-sectioned metal shaft sleeve and there's trapped condensation dripping off it. Half the problem with our '05 Carioca 656 is that water pools near the exact spot where the dish was fitted, so the dish mount sits in a puddle whenever it rains.

We shall just have to see what tomorrow brings...

7. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

As a follow up to yesterday's posts - fortunately no sign of damp on the ceiling. I double checked the damp meter on a piece of wet cardboard to make sure it was working properly. When the dish assembly was lifted off the metal fixing plate there was signs of some water having worked its way between the two, possibly along the fixing bolts, which have now been resealed.

I think I'm going to have to chock the front of the van up on a couple of half railway sleepers or something when in storage so water doesn't pool on the roof. It's a perennial problem with this model of van.