Maximise your mobile data !!

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Chockswahay, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

I use 'Opera Mini' web browser on my phablet. It is an excellent way to make your data allowance go further (especially when abroad!).

Sometimes it is necessary to use the 'high' setting for some websites but generally I use the 'extreme setting which uses about 90% less data then the usual browsers (yes, really!)

Also if you use '3' on PAYG then only top up £5 at a time and you will be credited with 150mb free! (30 day limit) then when you have done this 4 times you can buy the unlimited 'Add-on' for 30 days (includes 300 minutes and 3000 texts too).

I find sometimes that the free 150mb bundles are enough for a week or so.

We have been away for nearly 3 weeks and only just starting on the 4th top-up.

'Look after the pennies' ............

:)

• Useful Useful x 6
    • Thanks Thanks x 4
  2. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Many thanks, will give it a try.

In a similar vein if uploading photographs to this site, reduce them in size first before doing so. I use Photo Resizer by Xllusion but there are others which probably work just as well, This app will reduce the image file down from several MBs to a few hundred KBs depending on how much you shrink them. You don't lose any quality as the forum software does this anyway.

You might also find as you can with my camera, if you transfer the images wirelessly to the tablet you can set it only to transfer a reduced image size. The original still stays on the SD card to download when you get back home.

And of course don't have auto update of apps enabled!

Edit: Just had a quick play with Photo & Picture Resizer by Farluner and it looks good, with a neat feature which allows you to crop the image which Photoresizer doesn't have. The ad-free version is £2.99 otherwise free.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Shrimp64

Shrimp64 Funster

We use Opera, when we remember!

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels Funster Life Member

Thanks guys, that's handy to know. I could do with a photo resizer DBK, as I send my mum a weekly email with quite a few photos in and sometimes it won't send because the pics are too big.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Hi @Armytwowheels if you use a I pad ( I don't know if it's available in other formats) I use
    Image Size, it's really simple and was free when I got it. Photo of app. image.jpg

• Useful Useful x 2
  6. Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels Funster Life Member

Thanks Carol, will have a look at that.

7. iandsm

iandsm Funster

If you have iPhone, and I think you can get this for Android, theres an app called Onovo extend. This is avon and saves data. The beauty of it is that everything you do on your phone goes through it so you don't have to remember to use it when browsing or anything else. There is graph which shows you how much data you are using. Its free too.

8. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I already use "3" as mentioned but didn't know about Opera Mini being so frugal. Thanks.

9. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Maximise it by switching the thing off on holiday.. !

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. iandsm

iandsm Funster

Maps, weather forecasts, local information, aire apps and geotagging photos all need data as well as an occasional look at the news. I count my iPhone a valuable tool which aids and enhances my travels. I probably make calls four or five times a month but use data services daily for the above which is why I leave it switched on.

• Like Like x 3
  11. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Yes, of course they do.. it was tongue in cheek.. but there are some who can't tear themselves away from social media..

in saying that, I switch off roaming when abroad and only have a phone with me for emergencies.. don't need it for anything else ..

for me, going away means getting away.. which harks back to my days when employed and on 'standby' 24/7 so always tied to a pager and then a mobile phone .. retiring meant casting off these shackles..

12. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

I've just installed it, and given it a try. It's really quite slow compared to Firefox or Chrome on web browsing, but maybe that's the price to pay to keep data usage down.

Again, just installed it and tried it out on the Android tablet, but like the Dutch Camper Contact App, it only works in portrait mode, and not in landscape mode. :(

Thanks anyway to both contributors. (y)

Jock. :)

13. iandsm

iandsm Funster

have look at the settings of your device. I haven't got an Android tablet, but Onovo shouldn't make any difference to whether you can view pages in portrait or landscape. You could try their help pages they are quite helpful.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

Thanks Ian,

They settings are set for "screen auto rotation".

If I didn't keep my tablet in a stand alone case, using it in the portrait mode wouldn't be a problem, nor if I was using a smart phone.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

15. iandsm

iandsm Funster

Sorry cannot help further with that. Suggest you try their help desk. I think you can email them too, good luck

• Like Like x 1