Max height on Isle of Man ferry?

Discussion in 'UK Touring' started by Rob and Val, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Rob and Val

Rob and Val Funster

We’ve been considering going to the Isle of Man in the autumn. I’ve been looking at ferry websites for prices and seem to have come across a stumbling block. Our motorhome has a roof rack (which is permanently fitted) and this makes our MH 2.8 metres high. From what I’ve seen on the ferry websites, the maximum height they can accommodate is 2.5 metres. I may be misinterpreting this so am hoping for some advice.

Also, if we can get there, does anyone have recommendations for places to stay, please?

2. golly

golly Funster

• Like Like x 1
  3. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Not sure which ferry you are looking at, but I am sure they will all take lorries / coaches, so 2.8m will be a breeze, it might be that above 2.5m you have to park with the lorries / coaches and pay a little more :)

only flown in so cant help with places to stay, personally I would stick to the Scottish islands, although I was surprised how much we paid to get to Islay last year, the prices I thought had come down a little

• Like Like x 1
  4. Rob and Val

Rob and Val Funster

5. Rob and Val

Rob and Val Funster

We went to the West Highlands last September!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Stealaway

Stealaway Funster

• Like Like x 1
  7. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

https://www.manxferries.com/travelreq.php?9b5378b9-b932-11e5-b0db-b8ac6f12e696

out of curiosity (nosiness) I did a google search for ferry crossings, was pleasantly surprised how relatively good value the crossing is

£190 return with motorhome and 2 adults, compared to getting to the Western Isles it is on a par at least

Didn't look into the height restrictions, but it wasn't mentioned on the enquiry form (y)

edit - have just noticed the length limit is 6m though at that price at least

8. Rob and Val

Rob and Val Funster

9. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Please note that freight (including large vans) can only be booked calling 01624 645620. Motor homes, small vans carrying work equipment and trailers can only be booked calling 01624 661661

Just seen this, I think my original though applies, cars and things under 2.5m probably go anywhere on the boat, anything bigger they need to be sure there is sufficient free height left. I guess when you call you will find out (y)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Stealaway

Stealaway Funster

You don't know what you are missing, but it will still be excellent.
    It's a lovely Island - even with out all them bloody motor bikes.

I'm also amazed how cheap it is for a MH. (taking a standard van is treated as commercial and is twice the price)
    A motor bike and two passengers is around £230 - a motor bike (hung on the back) two passengers and a MH £240!
    Bargain.
    We always travel from Liverpool on the Sea Cat, its a quicker crossing and easier to get to from Sheffield.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Stealaway

Stealaway Funster

My Burstner is 2.8 Mtr and we don't have a problem and I have seen much taller MH being loaded.

• Like Like x 1