Mattress toppers

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by geoff1947, Apr 12, 2010.

1. geoff1947

geoff1947 Read Only Funster

Looking in January MMM I noted "Raskelf" sell memory foam toppers and we wish to purchase one for our M/H It would have to be rolled up in the morning and stowed under the seat etc.

Anyone had any dealings with them and what about the the product.
    Any comments appreciated:thumb:

2. American Dream

American Dream Read Only Funster

Hi Geoff,

We're looking at possibly buying a couple too.

There's so many out there, any advice would be appreciated.

(Looking around a 3" thick one.):thumb:

3. Diabalo

Diabalo Funster

I got mine off flebay, well pleased with it, but they are heavy and take up a lot off room if you need to store it.

4. geoff1947

Earlybirds

A couple of early birds like me up early to get more done on another splendid sun lit morning.
    Wife still snoring away upstairs.
    Taking van into Marquis Lee Mill for some small warranty jobs and have 2 dogs on loan to walk.:thumb:

5. chrisboyo

chrisboyo Funster

Hi
    We tried some mattress toppers but found them prone to getting very warm
    This may be ok for winter use but far too hot for the summer
    We now use a doubled sleeping bag under the bottom sheet and find this works very well
    Could be worth a try before spending your had earned

Happy Daze
    Chrisboyo

6. GregM

GregM Read Only Funster

Funny you say that, we've been looking at getting a mattress topper but someone we know bought a new mattress (for home) that was half spring/half memory foam and the salesman told them to use the spring side in the summer and foam side in the winter. When they first used it they had to turn heating off as they were getting warm.

7. Braunston

Braunston Read Only Funster

Hi, I have been looking to buy one also, but it does seem from some of the searches I have found that the temperature problem seems to be quiet common, so we went for a normal sprung mattress, but obviously that would be a problem if you needed to store it away.

Ikea used to sell mattress toppers that weren't memory foam, not sure if they would still have the temperature problem ? you may also be able to roll them up

8. mikebeaches

mikebeaches Funster

We were thinking about getting a topper for the fixed bed in our motorhome. However, we decided to try out some advice read on the forum first, which was to put a high tog duvet on the mattress instead. In fact, we have two and it's extremely comfortable for us. An added bonus is that if it gets too cold, you can use one of the (topper) duvets as a second one on top.

9. Wadems

Wadems Read Only Funster

We have an IKEA mattress topper in a Bessy560. Have used it summer and winter - absolutely wonderful. In summer just remember to turn your water heater off if its under the bed!!!:Rofl1:

10. Movin' on

Movin' on Read Only Funster

Toppers

If you don't have a permanent bed and your bed is made up of jig-saw bits of seats etc. then a topper is a godsend. We bought a 3cm memory foam from T.J. Hughes in Kings Lynn for £60 and it has made a tremendous difference. For storage I just fold it in four and stow it on the over-cab bed and put the other bedding on top of it.
    Good luck.

11. Henryhymer

Henryhymer Read Only Funster

Bought a Raskelf topper for our Hymer and it was so fantastically comfortable we ended up buying one for home too! Found them a great company to deal with. Haven't checked but they will probably be at P'boro show and tend to offer discount at shows. They cut ours to exact size and made cover to match at no extra cost. I know some people say they find them too hot in summer but we haven't had a problem with this.
    Cheers

12. gwnking

gwnking Read Only Funster

I use an old duvet as a topper.

Dale

13. Hopesy

Hopesy Read Only Funster

We started out with a duvet on top of the bed cushions (sunseeker 115). We then bought a memory foam mattress topper (double size) and found it to be brilliant however because of the size it was impracticle so this is on the bed at home now. We then got some cheap 2" foam it two strips and roll them up for under the seat storage, this foam may not be as good as the memory foam but it's all we want, try the cheap option first, if you don't like it you've only lost a couple of quid but i bet you don't go back.:thumb:

14. geoff1947

good thread

Good advice there and as we are off to Yorkshire soon may well pop into their factory :Smile:

15. Losos

Losos Read Only Funster

Another firm that will be at Peterborough is Jonic

www.jonic-uk.co.uk

Thet provided a good quote for me.

16. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

We have had memory foam toppers for many a year now. The first we bought was at the NEC for £99 for our bed at home (kingsize) which came with a zipped cover - brilliant! :Smile:

The second one (double with zipped cover) cost us £38 from the local market and is the one we use in the motorhome as the fixed bed is a bit firm!!! Despite the cheap cost it is still going strong 3 years later and has a lot of life left in it yet! :thumb:

We've just replaced the one at home with another one from the NEC which cost £80 (kingsize). The only reason we have replaced it is because the side edges got 'nibbled', if I'd realised I would've cut about an inch or so off it as it overhung the edge of the bed a little and we 'cracked' the foam getting in and out. It's still perfectly usable though so I've cut it down to fit our double guest bed.

They do get a bit warm at times but as I'm a coldie anyway I'm more than happy, hubby just throws some of the covers off!

We tried the duvet under the sheet trick but found that after a bit of time it squashed down or went lumpy and making the fixed bed can be 'challenging' at the best of times and I soon got fed up with wrestling with it, hence the memory foam topper!!!

17. staging lady

staging lady Funster

We found the fixed bed matress in the new Frankia rock hard.

We bought a 6cm memory foam topper at the Newark show. Double with zip off washable cover £70.
    I could weep... I didn't buy one years ago1

I am sleeping every night for 7 hours instead of 4/5/6 fitfully, and realise why everyone else looks refreshed because they have had good quality sleep.
    Yes it is heavy. Yes it is warm but I am always cold so that is no hardship.
    Have taken it away from MH storage and using it on the bed. HWMBO is now looking for one to keep at hoe.
    Best nights' sleep in 20 years.
    Lucille

18. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Like others I found sleeping on a memory foam thing on top of the standard mattress got me very hot indeed !! ( :Eeek::BigGrin: )

Sooooooooo

I put the topper UNDER the standard mattress.. Stonking !
    No undue heat, the full effect of the memory foam somewhat tempered , but all in all a really comfy option

19. algill

algill Funster

20. geoff1947

Found one

Wife went into Edinburgh Wool outlet at Lee Mill nr Plymouth yesterday and purchased a 1" memory foam topper. RRP was £99.99 reduced to £45 and bought it at £43. Worth looking if one is near an outlet and looking for a topper etc:BigGrin:.