Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
I'm trying to sort out a mattress for the drop down bed, but as there was no mattress when we bought it to use as a pattern, I'm hoping someone might be able to advise me. Do Hymer mattresses go right to the edge of the sleeping area, or is there a gap to allow for expansion when the bed is folded up?

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Hi. On our Dethleffs (same as Hymer) the mattress fits to the edges of the base. The inner edge, opposite side to windscreen, is tapered to follow the slanting side, under the safety rail. Mattress about 3" thick. Any thicker and you will find it butts up against the top of the cab at the front, stopping the bed from fitting snugly in it's upper travelling position. (We initially tried our standard size foam mattress from home only to find, after a fight to get it in place, that it was too thick at front edge, and the safety rail which folds down over the bed as you push the bed up, would not compress it enough)... :thumb:

If you make one up with foam there isn't really any obligation to bevel the edge - much simpler to fit - you could just put a small roll of foam inside the cover, like pipe insulation, which acts the same as bevelling the edge. Difficult to describe but it works well!

OP
OP
B

Bushtrekker

Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
Thanks

On our Tramp the bed runs lengthways instead of across, apparently this was the first Hymer model to use the drop down bed in 1989, which is slightly puzzling as ours was built in 1988:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back