Mastercard In Netherlands

Discussion in 'Belguim Netherlands' started by WillH, Jun 22, 2015.

1. WillH

WillH Funster

Just returned from a couple of weeks in the Netherlands and had a lot of problems using MasterCard debit cards whilst there, has anyone else experienced this. Our cards were not accepted in many places, both debit and credit cards.

Since our return I have been into both our banks and they can find no reason for this, it's not as if they were never accepted, just some places, though we could always seem to get cash from ATM's. Any comments?

Rgds
    Bill

2. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Coincidentally I've just received a new debit card and there was a leaflet in with it saying that it is a good idea for people going abroad on holiday to let the bank know in advance. That way the account can be flagged in order to prevent possible problems.

I don't know whether that is the cause in your case but perhaps worth asking?

3. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

If a card is blocked for security reasons normally a message comes up on the terminal asking you to phone them. We used to use a Mastercard never had a problem, Only card we have had a problem with is a Nationwide Debit card at ING ATM's in Belgium & Holland works in all other ATM's.

4. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Make sure you tell them you are going to Bruges for the fine beer and chocolate.

And Belgium Stew. A seriously rich meet stew that, sadly, would be finished off by Yorkshire Pudding but they have not worked that out.

5. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Can't stand Belgian chocolate, far too sickly - and I bet their stews are nowhere near as good as the ones I make anyhow :LOL:

• Like Like x 1
  6. WillH

WillH Funster

On my return I went to the banks concerned and one said I should have registered my trip with them, the other didn't. My Mastercard Credit Card worked but both my Visa and Mastercard Debit cards wouldn't work, strange. Did enjoy some lovely beer as suggested above and thoroughly enjoyed the Dutch cycling experience, even managed to find an area with some notable hills, in Holland!

7. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Used our Nationwide CC & DC all over Europe, the States & India never bothered to tell them & I don't use them in the UK so them often have months of inactivity & then used abroad, never had a problem.

8. weekenders

weekenders Funster Life Member

We are currently in Holland and are also finding some shops do not take credit card's or debit card's, very frustrating, tesco CC advise you do not need to tell them of your trips abroad

9. jockaneezer

jockaneezer Funster

Phoned Mastercard as usual, to tell them where we were travelling for our last trip, no problem, went to RBS to check out the exchange rate, quite poor so I said to the teller I would get them elsewhere. She then asked if I wanted a "note" put on my account so I wouldn't have any problems with my debit card use abroad ? I said ok, so she asks where am I going. France, Belgium, Holland, Luxembourg and Germany. "Oh" she says, then wanted exact dates when we would be in each country, I said motorhoming doesn't work like that. She then says "Ok, so I'll put you down for one week in France and one week in Belgium then" As it was, I never used my debit card in case of problems, but my cc worked fine every time.

10. chaser

chaser Funster

We both have tesco cc, never told them where we are, and never had one refused anywhere in europe

11. Ginge3685

Ginge3685 Funster

Only had a problem with MasterCard in a restaurant in Holland, had a great meal and then asked for the bill came to pay with the card, and couldn't the restaurant had just opened and had not got round to setting up to take cards............ luckily there was an ATM around the corner........problem solved!!!!!

12. Violet1

Violet1

Stayed with daughter in Utrecht , also had difficulty with cards in Albert hein supermarkets would only take Dutch cards most other places fuel etc were ok

13. Lunnie

Lunnie Funster

I have trouble with my debit visa card in a few places.....
    But my partner who is dutch has the occasional problem here in the uk with his Mastro debit card...
    I find Caxton fx pre loaded with euros the best way.

14. FJmike

FJmike Funster

Not sure if the cause, it maybe that Belgium, Netherlands and Germany mostly use Maistro cards and often refuse Mastercard and Visa

15. wanderingyp

wanderingyp Funster Life Member

We found both in Holland and Germany that it is not usual for shops, restaurants,campsites etc etc to take credit or debit cards for payments and taking only cash payments - it's a cultural thing and summed up perfectly
    Quote from http://www.amsterdamtips.com/
    The use of credit cards in Netherlands is not as well established as elsewhere with most payments being made by cash, debit cards or via internet banking.

The thrifty Dutch have much less of a consumer debt culture than say US, UK or Australia and many shops in Holland still do not accept credit card payments.