Rally Chat Marshalling large meets – Fings I learnt! (1 Viewer)

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Lincoln was our first experience of marshalling a big Fun rally, although we did assist at Jaws Bash earlier in the year. Hopefully the following jottings may help other first-timers!

Thanks to Polly and Dave as marshals-in-chief for showing us the ropes and Margaret and Eddy for being great team players.(y)

Lessons learned:
  1. You cannot please all the people all the time. ;)
  2. Keep Smiling! :)
  3. Everyone may have individual needs, but as a marshal you cannot possibly meet all of them. However, with a bit of lateral thinking some things can be achieved that make the individual really happy. :D
  4. An electric bike is a massive boon. :cycle: Needs lights and a charging facility.
  5. Walkie talkies would have helped no end and saved poor Eddy and Dave many miles a day up and down the field. Perhaps someone has an old unused set laying around they might donate to Jim for use in bigger rallies?
  6. People are queueing up to come in hours before the gates are scheduled to open. :rolleyes:
  7. Keep Smiling! :)
  8. Those with children need to be asked to prevent them from cycling or running around moving motorhomes. After dark, all cyclist should have lights. Maybe as marshals, set aside a “let of steam” area in a safe place for the children.
  9. If there are enough marshals, agree a schedule so that everyone gets some time off. No-one needs to be there to greet every arrival across both days.
  10. Keep Smiling! :)
  11. Identifying ‘New’ Funsters is difficult. Even we who been in Fun about eight years do not know people who joined around the same time. Perhaps variations in badges to consider, although I accept that bring additional costs? “Be gentle with me, it’s my first time” badges to issued and then collected (with any feedback) at the end of their first rally perhaps?
  12. New members really appreciate someone making the effort. Could we set up a volunteer ‘buddy’ system amongst the long termers? If each newbie had a named contact on the rally it would help them integrate.
  13. It would be helpful on the Saturday to have the marshals at least contactable. Perhaps a sign up with a mobile number?
  14. One for @Jim. We had lots of people want details and application forms, and also wanting to renew. Can we have an easy to find link in the web site to allow people to sign-up and renew please? I found it easily on a screen, but it seems to disappear on a phone!
  15. Smile some more! This is FUN.
Would we do it again? Definitely. :hugs:

Robin & Hilary.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I know you were all busy and did a great job.. (y)

Ref no5... Walkie talkies, you should have asked or just put a note on the rally thread..
I have a set of good ones that could have been used and no doubt lots of others will have sets as well..
There was talk in the past about some "proper" sets and getting licenses but i think its more the issue of getting them moved about between meets.

Keep smiling.. :)

oh and No9... I would have thought that was something Marshalls would have arranged between themselves ?? In the past it's been know for extra help to be asked for and I know there will always be someone who will volunteer. Even if it's just to cover tea and lunch breaks.

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
rally marshalling can be a very frustrating thankless task, but the positives and meeting some lovely people totally outweighs the negatives

OP
OP
meanders

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
One other thing that would have been useful would be some blank laminated A3, A4 and landscape half A4 laminated sheets, perhaps with the Fun logo, that we could use for handwritten outdoor signage for directions, key info etc. I don't have a laminator.:(

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Some interesting points of your first experience of stewarding, glad you enjoyed it and will be doing it again.

All the marshals and stewards do a great job and it would be good if everyone remembered that if it wasn't for them volunteering their services for the weekend, the rallies and meets would either not go ahead or be chaotic.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
You did a sterling Job between you well done
When you have done the required amount, Jim will send you on an all expenses paid break to Spain
Like he done for Brisey and Pamelaaaaar(y)
Geo

Nov 1, 2015
Norwich
Funster No
MH
RAPIDO 686F
Exp
Yes as with all above you all did a sterling job which was very much appreciated by us.
Ray&Joy

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
You did a sterling Job between you well done
When you have done the required amount, Jim will send you on an all expenses paid break to Spain
Like he done for Brisey and Pamelaaaaar(y)
Geo

Geo, Don't forget that Jim has also arranged for my van to have a full service, free of charge, at Pecks Hill Garage when we return to the U.K.
Brisey.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Geo, Don't forget that Jim has also arranged for my van to have a full service, free of charge, at Pecks Hill Garage when we return to the U.K.
Brisey.
You are funny, what a novelty Brian, never thought i would ever see Pecks Hill Garage and the word free in the same sentence:rofl::rofl::rofl:

karl c

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2010
I have number 4 and 5
If I had new I had them at Lincoln.
I put my phone number on the forum, just in case. A sign to the marshell point is a good idea.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
if number one was a suprise youve lead a sheltered life ive long given up trying to please anyone except me

Yes indeed..............

"You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time but you can't please all of the people all of the time.".

ciderman

Free Member
Jul 2, 2011
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer 754
Exp
4 years old
11. Identifying ‘New’ Funsters is difficult

On our first rally, the marshalls put a blue 'dot' sticker on our badges. It was a great help and up to us when we peeled it off. Simple and effective idea.

Thank you & Keep Smiling :)

Maria & Andy

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Well done to you all. It didn't help that on Thursday there didn't seem to be any Warners marshalls and you were directing EVERYONE!

Just a thought for @Jim perhaps a request for marshalls a bit earlier might help and you may get a few more. This time round by the time you asked for more volunteers I'd made all my arrangements and I suspect others who might have responded had too.

Deleted User
Our first rally, at Lincoln this year. Appreciate any, any voluntary work. Parking in the dark would have been a nightmare without the e bike cycler.
Points for and against would address on a different thread. But this one is to say many thanks to all Marshalls.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Will heed all the above advise as helping at Chester next year!!!
A big bottle of gin may help!!!:LOL:
When we've done meets before we have always been greeted by friendly happy Funsters !!(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back