Free Member
Feb 21, 2017
Sutton Coldfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Hello Folks

I've decided to buy an Autotrail Tracker FB and have found two fairly identical 2015 models, one with Brownhills and one with Marquis. I've read a fair bit of stuff on both companies and would like to hear if any of you who have had positive experiences perhaps?

This will be my first purchase and I'll pretty much be full timing. What worries me are the stories of vehciles being off the road for weeks with bad after service experience... Any advice?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Do a search for both names on here, must be hundreds of posts.

2015 though, with a bit of luck all the teething troubles will be sorted so just water ingress to check out, unless they have been abused.

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
having dealt with marquis and the customer non service, i would never recommend them. brownhills seem to be improving, but buyer beware

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I have had a positive experience buying used from Marquis, Plymouth branch though.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
As you well may be back to the dealer SEVERAL times its normally best to buy as local as possible. Based on recent experience from various sources it's a take your chance senario. I purchased from Marquis a few years ago and was reasonably happy. After 30 years I've heard horrific tales about Brownhills so haven't been brave enough to buy from them. Some funsters have purchased from them and are happy. Unfortunately it's a massive gamble purchasing a motor home and nothing is guaranteed to be easy with any dealer.
Good luck with whatever and whoever you choose. I'm sure you'll receive a lot of pointers from other motor homers.

May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On our 2nd MH now a AutoTrail Savannah which we're absolutely delighted with
We have had excellent after care service from Marquis although it did take a lot of serious arm twisting in the first place
Ian

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
2015 should mean that any faults have been sorted, but you never know. The trick will not be choosing the best dealer, they are all much of a muchness, better to choose the right motorhome. One will be better than the other. If you know nothing about motorhomes, it is always worth getting them looked over by someone knowledgeable. But you should also ask for a specific damp guarantee in writing where they reassure you that they, at no cost to you, will put right any damp discovered in the next 6/12 months.

OP
OP
K

Kelly Wanders

Free Member
Feb 21, 2017
Sutton Coldfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
2015 should mean that any faults have been sorted, but you never know. The trick will not be choosing the best dealer, they are all much of a muchness, better to choose the right motorhome. One will be better than the other. If you know nothing about motorhomes, it is always worth getting them looked over by someone knowledgeable. But you should also ask for a specific damp guarantee in writing where they reassure you that they, at no cost to you, will put right any damp discovered in the next 6/12 months.

Thanks Jim, I did just buy your book too and will be studying it heavily!

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Have dealt with Marquis bought 1 m/ho and 2 C/vans at the Northampton Branch. Had to return twice with faults on 1 of the caravans,i was booked straight into Broadway,Autosleepers yard,so cannot fault that. Again when they started to do caravans ,i had a Gin Palace "Kensington",this decided to Off load water into the living area,rang "Chris Bennion" at N/hampton,he asked."Where are you?" We were at North Somercotes" near Grimsby baby seal watching, on Don Ammots site on a rally,so told him,he then said he would bring a replacement c/van up in the morning and swap over. I had calmed first wife down to Histionics level by then:oops: and said.... It is OK,there are showers and loos on site,i have 15 ltr and 10ltr jerry cans that i can keep in the van for tea/washing up,i will bring it down next week.
I had a choice of c/vans to borrow,but chose a little 3-4 year old 2 berth Compass..It was a revalation and if i had been offered the choice of keeping it when ours was ready with cash back,i would have bitten his hand off.We don't run a Marquis unit now,but i would by again with some confidence. Three names. Chris Bennion (In the s/east depot now) ,John Fonte ? Northampton (American chap,we told him straight we were just looking,but what he showed us and told us served us in good stead in the future,and Paul? N/hampton (Crusher,got a vice like hand shake,but another proper chap. I would like to think,i could turn up in the yard and it would be like i have never been away
Last but not least,Marquis have depots dotted over the UK,handy if you get a bit of a niggle,because you will be near a depot wherever.
Tea Bag
PS. If you ever meet Chris Bennion,say." T.. would like to be remembered to you,he is the "Ham fisted Lummox" who tipped a full cup of coffee over your paper strewn desk in N/hampton,then could not stop laughing,he was with his "First wife J". " He did say,if ever we got divorced,he wanted a ring side seat.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
Hi.
Don't know your circumstances,but... "Those that don't ask,don't get" Very true,just had an e.mail about Marquis and deals at the NEC. So,march onto the Marquis stand if thats the one you want and put your cards on the table,fortune favours the brave,if you play your cards right,you could leave with a "Brand Spanking New one". OK,it may/may not have been a demonstrater,and or a 2016 model,but the second hand ones could have been as well....
Go on,"Your worth it" (Are you?(y)(y)(y))
Get it bought!
Tea Bag

OP
OP
K

Kelly Wanders

Free Member
Feb 21, 2017
Sutton Coldfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Ah thanks T - good to hear a decent story! I've found both companies from a sales perspective very helpful so far, but one would expect that surely ;o) I dont think I can stretch myself further to a new one, already pushing the boat out. But I did go to the show today...

Dogeared

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 16, 2013
Blackburn
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 155
Exp
Since 2011
Can't think of a good thing to say about Marquis Preston. Only motorhome company I would trust in the north west is Todds.

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
@Tea Bag I'm glad you have had a positive experience with them but I have found Marquis at Golden cross to be probably the worst company for customer services I have ever come across. In fact Chris Bennion refuses to answer my emails regarding a complaint over a hab check last year.
@Kelly Wanders I have no experience with Brownhills so can't comment but would never use Marquis again even though they are my local dealers.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Regardless of who and where, just remember they just want to empty your wallet into theirs, same as every other secondhand car dealer, just bigger cars. Look with both eyes, preferably with lots of experience eyes from others with knowledge. Once your money is theirs it is really, game over. Make your deal well at the actual buying and you can save enough to cover the deficiencies that there might be there. Get advice before buying, from anyone, who has a keen eye for trouble..

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
We bought from Brownhills and found them to be ok. We haven't had any big problems with the van though. We did buy a warranty and have claimed on it with no problems. We find it handy to be able to stay overnight there and the facilities are good. Don't know if Marquis provides that.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
@Tea Bag I'm glad you have had a positive experience with them but I have found Marquis at Golden cross to be probably the worst company for customer services I have ever come across. In fact Chris Bennion refuses to answer my emails regarding a complaint over a hab check last year.
@Kelly Wanders I have no experience with Brownhills so can't comment but would never use Marquis again even though they are my local dealers.
Hi Baycott
Genuinely sorry for the position you are in.John Fonte? the American was the head man when i went to N/hampton the first time to buy,having met him a year or two before as posted first, when all i was doing was looking,we did a cracking deal on a A/Sleeper Broadway,but i didn't like the way it went down the road,(The m/ho bit was OK) it was nothing like the Renault Master we had traded in for road holding/get up and going,so it had to go. We got on all right with the team and dealt with Chris this time,we did not know wether to go back c/vanning or an A/Sleeper VW conversion,so we.."Tossed a coin" (Crusher supplied the coin) on the stand at NEC and it came down to the Gin Palace Kensington c/van,so we bought it. Perhaps us being a bit...Odd?:unsure::unsure: or a lot Odder?:ROFLMAO: swung us better service,there again,it could have gone the other way.... its sort of a Flip of a Coin how deals go down and the service you get,its not personal,its just life.
Best of luck for the future,stay well,stay lucky.
Tea Bag
PS. The tossing of the coin,and how we arrived at the decision,could explain why if first wife and i divorce,he wants front row seats:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
John Fonte (John anyway, didn't know his surname) at Marquis Northampton was the one who told us we had a damp problem after we bought our Bessie in 2009. It was caused by an ill fitting rooflight (at the factory) not by them - so they'd reseated it and sorted it out - we were literally just off to France for a couple of months - and he showed us the marks on the ceiling - we really had to squint to see them! - we mutually agreed it would get sorted when we got back - and two days after our return there was a letter from Swift in the post to arrange when and how. I'd trust him an awful lot further than I could throw him - and that's not very far at all. Not often you can be addressed as 'Ma'am' and 'darlin' in a lovely Texan drawl in the same sentence, by a dark haired good looking chap actually born in Leicester, is it!!

What a lovely knowledgeable, helpful bloke.

Never had the slightest other thing go wrong with it, though so never had to take it back !

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
Not often you can be addressed as 'Ma'am' and 'darlin' in a lovely Texan drawl in the same sentence, by a dark haired good looking chap
Hi
" .............................." Sorry sedge,words fail me,or,NEVER! (Thats a word)... Mr! Tea Bag. He perhaps said it to First wife...I " WILL!"!! be asking her in the morning!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I take it Mr sedge was out of ear shot?:whistle:
Mr! Tea Bag;)

FM02MZO

Free Member
Jun 22, 2012
Castle Donington
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
30 years caravan, 2 year motorhome
Hello Folks

I've decided to buy an Autotrail Tracker FB and have found two fairly identical 2015 models, one with Brownhills and one with Marquis. I've read a fair bit of stuff on both companies and would like to hear if any of you who have had positive experiences perhaps?

This will be my first purchase and I'll pretty much be full timing. What worries me are the stories of vehciles being off the road for weeks with bad after service experience... Any advice?
If it is of any help Don Amott of Eggington, has got the full range of Autotrails in stock

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
No @Tea Bag, Mr sedge was in earshot and have to agree with what has been already said. Both "Texas John" and Paul were great to deal with and if they had something we were interested in we wouldn't have any qualms about going back there.

They even sent the handover guy down the road to put £25 quids worth of diesel in the tank before we left.

BONZO

Free Member
Mar 1, 2012
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Kon tiki 30ft
Exp
Brownhills have got it together now we are on our 2d van and they do sort out faults .and you get to stay with them free swimming pool jacuzzi . EHU AND XMAS DINNER EVERY YEAR mind u pay top dollar for your van .

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Wherever you eventually go for it make sure you let each of the dealers know the price the other is asking ... you've gotta play them at their own game if they want your business so YOU get the best deal for you!

Mi58ck

Free Member
Aug 9, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since august 2012
I voted for Brownhills,never had any dealings with them.But I've had dealings with the other lot

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back