Marquis motorhomes INFO

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by gasman2008, Jan 22, 2013.

1. gasman2008

gasman2008 Read Only Funster

Hi has anyone had dealings with Marquis? I bought an Autosleeper van conversion from them last year with a "full warranty" and am now being told a leaking door seal is excluded, I can not find seals in the excluded section. Has anyone else had a problem with them? I found the company very difficult to deal with even when it came to paying, but the staff are all very good, so I am not sure about the company at all. Any help would be welcome.

Thanks for reading this.

John

2. Phill D

Phill D

hi John,, i have only had talks with them so cant help on that front. however, it would be worth asking the man who sold you the man where exactly in the warranty it says the door seal is excluded.
    my only guess is that it could be seen as a wear and tear item in the warranty.... but thats only a real guess.

3. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

I think if you search on that name you find you are not alone.

4. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

we brought our first brand new van from Marquis, and the problems getting them to honour warranty work, within weeks of purchase put us off buying new again. In the end we sold the swift on at under a year old and 3000 miles with faults still there to a couple who were legal proffessionals and they took over dealing with Swift and Marquis

I would never recomend them to anyone as a business. Some decent staff members, but the management are awful

5. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Only comment I would make is that if it was within 12 months of sale date, we would have sorted it without question subject to it not being 'abused'

Peter

• Like Like x 2
  6. chrisboyo

chrisboyo Funster

Hi
    Go on to the Autosleepers Forum theres lots of info there re leaky doors and hoe best to resolve it

Best of luck
    chris

7. f6c

f6c Funster

Bought one van from them NEVER again:Angry:

8. Jamwitt

Jamwitt Funster Life Member

Hi John got my mine from b/Waltham in July put down deposite in April took a while to sort finances out but they didn't rush me and staff were brilliant ,I've got a warranty issue going through at the moment (cracked gel coat), so fingers crossed it will all be done :thumb:

9. Gunner29

Gunner29 Read Only Funster

Marquis

Have you written to the Manager?
    IF not satisfied go a step higher and as far as CEO. They don't want bad publicity
    Marquis owed me a tyre as the spare was the wrong one. After doing my research with Autosleeper I wrote to the Manager at Lee Mill, Plymouth, laid out my problem and they fitted the correct one
    Don't be fobbed off

10. Mart grump

Mart grump Funster

Marquis

We bought a new swift kontiki 669 got fobbed of on late deilivery extras were not fitted as promised they left tools and screws laying in one of the beds put scratches on the front bumper. Every time I went back their attitude got worse our bathroom door kept opening whilst driving they wanted to fit a plastic bracket on the outside I just laughed at them and told them they must be joking the whole experience was one of the worst we have been through I sorted the problems myself and vowed never to return they have no respect for their customers and know nothing about customer service just want your money you don't survive in this economic climate treating customers this way :Angry:

11. Spacerunner

Spacerunner Read Only Funster

After buying my first van from Marquis at Lower Upham (Southampton) I wouldn't buy a wheelbarrow from them.
    IMO Untrustworthy, deceitful, unprofessional and dishonourable.

12. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

This is or second van from MARQUIS and even though they have done the warranty work each time we have had out back there has been some aspect of the work that hasn't been done, for example I told them about a sink top lifting in September, they wanted to see it so travelled to them so they could inspect out themselves, I had already sent them pictures, they found damp behind cooker so told us that this would have to be done even though it had passed a hab test by themselves, 6 months earlier.
    They said whole kitchen needed taking out and rebourded, fact its they just boarded behind kitchen whet you can see and didn't do the sink and they lied to us that we hasn't even reported the sink tip so we have to wait again for that to be ordered from swift.I reminded him that I had sent him pictures of the sink to which he looked blank and said they he would order the sink top for us, after about half an hour he came back into waiting room and apologised to us and said he remembered now but had forgotten to write it on the work sheet at the time
    we have had a lot of dealings with MARQUIS over the last three years we have owned this van over numerous branches but I have found the staff to be pleasant in our dealings with them but the workmanship leaves a lot to be desired.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  13. rolandrat

rolandrat Funster

My dealings with Marquis was the absolute pits, dealing with the so called CEO will be a complete waste of time as well. For me to explain my experience would take to long but all I can say is my solicitor sorted them out with one phone call. I would NEVER EVER think of doing a deal with them no matter what. Most third party warranties aren't worth the paper they are printed on. I would like to know how you define abuse where a door seal is concerned, is it based on the amount of times that you open and close the door?

14. capinpugwash

capinpugwash Funster

I bought a Motorhome from Marquis, Upham about 4 years ago.

Once the sale was agreed they lost a considerable amount of interest in me and I ended up writing to the MD setting out my complaint and what I wanted.

He passed the letter to his sales Director, who offered me most of the compensation I wanted and I felt was appropriate.

Some of the staff are excellent, but seem to be let down by management.

Be clear and concise and fair and you should get the result that is right for the situation.

15. golly

golly Funster

I p/x my last van for an Auto-sleeper from the new Durham branch when it opened in October. I can say that the service we have had has been excellent from the local staff, there were a couple of things needed doing, and some small bits of equipment missing, but the salesman dealing with us (Nick) kept us informed of progress with regular phone calls etc. Not had any warranty issues (touch wood) so can't comment on that.

16. Gunner29

Gunner29 Read Only Funster

Lee Mill

I have had a few dealing with Marquis Plymouth and have to say they were excellent :thumb:(Bar for one idiot) :Eeek:
    No names but I went to have a repair done to the hab door at A/S Broadway last March on our way home.
    It was Friday 13, the Service Manager was on hols and the "front of house" Manager was probably the rudest man :Angry:I have ever come across in the M/H world. He refused to answer my questions, and when I inspected the door I found a screw a bit loose. When I asked him to have it tightened, he slammed the door. found a fitter who did it in 2 seconds and stormed off to his office.
    I wrote to their Customer Services and had an apology and he was removed to a back office as this wasn't the first time he had acted this way.
    Sadly there will always be people in all walks off life who are incompetant and rude

17. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Soooo.. to sum up, about the only people who seem to be doing a bang up job are the salesmen who must be top notch to overcome all the published problems regarding management and workshop staff !!

18. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

Dealers, especially large groups, differ from one to the next. I have bought vehicles through Marquis and have had absolutely no issue with any warranty work or aftersales support.

If you warranty includes habitation areas (some are just mechanical, so read carefully) then there is no reason why you cannot get it done - even at another dealer/caravan repair company so long as they are vat registered.

19. Teasy2007

Teasy2007 Funster

We have bought 2 motorhomes from Marquis - a brand new Autocruise Starburst which was delivered three weeks after the Autocruise was bought out by Swift. Marquis Ipswich took over the Autocruise warranty but we did not have any problems during the 3 years so did not test the warranty.

We then bought an Autocruise Startrail from Marquis Northampton and it was a nightmare from the start. We only had it a couple weeks before the 12 volt electrics failed. The problems we encountered are all on the forum, which was very helpful (especially Jim) in sorting everything out and eventually - after they had the motorhome for 13 weeks ! - we received it back and traded it in a few months later for a new Bentley Oulton!!

What happened next - Bentley went belly up. We should have known better than to buy from the same management team who ran Autocruise.

The company - Vanmaster - who took over Bentley then wanted to charge all owners over £700 for a warranty! we told them what to do with it!

One of our friends always buys his motorhome from Brownhills, I asked him why, considering their reputation? He said that when he bought a motorhome he got the best deal possible, checked and double checked for any problems before he collected it and then drove away expecting that any future problems would have to be sorted out by himself.

Buyer beware!! is a very good saying.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  20. sedge

sedge Funster

My flabber is always gasted when I read of probs with Marquis.

Why? Because we bought our current van from them, we had a warranty prob. Cosmetic thing, involving fitting new internal roof decor we declined dealer's offer to do it, as they proposed cutting it out and fitting it around wall units, wardrobe etc and we wanted it done properly by taking them out, starting again with a whole new panel and putting them back. Didn't have to argue, just said No thanks. So we used the van for two hols and then told them when they could have it, rather than the other way about. It was sorted pdq by Swift, who also sorted out a couple of minor things (two of which we didn't know about till they told us, which actually proved they really had tested everything) whilst it was in their workshop!!

It went in in December, they said it prolly wouldn't be ready till January, then rang us the week before Xmas to say it was done, when could we collect it?

Brilliant sevice throughout. And all it took was one conversation with the branch manager at Marquis Northampton on the day that we picked it up in the first place.