marjal

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by ukbill, Jul 13, 2012.

1. ukbill

ukbill Funster

we are thinking of going to marjal for new year can't leave till the 27th midday so would be pushed to get there for hopefully the 30th or early 31st was concidering taking the toll roads to save time but any advice from anyone who has been there would be helpful thanks

2. Brisey

Brisey Funster Life Member

If you take the Portsmouth - Santander ferry it will cut a couple of days off of your journey time. It will however cost quite a bit more even taking fuel and toll charges into consideration.

3. Organplayer

Organplayer Funster

organplayer

BUT the Portsmouth-Santander ferry to northern Spain will save a lot of hassle and driving down through freezing France. We do the ferry trip to Santander every year and arrive in Spain quite refreshed for the trip south. Taking our time we get down to the bottom easy in three days. Hope you enjoy the trip whichever way you decide to do it. Safe travels.

4. JohnH

JohnH Funster

My wife and I sailed to Santander last January and from Santander we drove to La Cabrera and stayed at a campsite called Pico de la Miel. The second day we drove past Madrid down to Marjal.
    Very easy to do in the two days. The only thing we weren't expecting was the frost on the first night. It went down to minus 5.
    I forgot to say we will be there in January 2013. We had such a good time there we booked to go back for three months.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  5. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

We did the trip to Spain last year..around the 21st of December....we live in Northern France not that far from Le Touquet.(close to Calais).....we did the trip down through France in 3 days..taking our time, no rush....you could do it 2 days....or one if you like driving it is up to to you........
    Then 2 days across Spain stopping at Zaragoza....travelling on the toll roads very good and quick ......but we did come back from Benicasim in Spain to France in one day on our route home.... on the toll roads.....
    ....we also stopped at the new Marjal after the new year....next to JohnH and wife

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  6. ukbill

ukbill Funster

thanks all i thought about ferry to spain but "but she who must be obeyed" ain't a good traveller when it comes to boats and if its a rough crossing then my life would be hell lol
    i know i can get to barcelona in 2 days via tolls but the rushing is slowly putting me off but maybe needs must for that lovely sunshine and some good r&r

7. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

Also, last winter, quite a few of the long crossings were cancelled due to the weather so people were transferred to crossings berthing in Northern France and having to drive, unplanned, all that way! Jane :Doh:

8. malheg

malheg Funster

We are booked on the Santander ferry 17th Oct. Travelling to Spain / Portugal.
    Out of interest looked on my map for Marjal, but cannot find.
    Can anyone point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Malc.

9. Brisey

Brisey Funster Life Member

10. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

38.177820 -0.809013 will take you to reception :BigGrin:

Mike.

11. MrJinks

MrJinks Read Only Funster

We have travelled down to Alicante for the last 2 years winters and both times travelled through appalling freezing conditions. We normally go via Rouen, Orleans, Clermont Ferrand as there are virtually no tolls but very high on A75 toll free motorway so not good in freezing weather.
    I would check weather forecast before you head off and if looking dodgy go via Rheims, Dijon, Lyon toll roads. It is always the clearest route as no mountains but will be the most expensive.