marine drive Dover

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by xjrchris, Aug 16, 2016.

1. xjrchris

xjrchris Funster

Hi we are going to Ypres in a couple of weeks time and was going to stop on marine drive overnight before a mid morning ferry, we will be taking a tow car with us and was wondering whether anyone has parked up there with a tow car .if so is it Ok? If not has anyone stopped in the big lay by on the hill leading down to dover ?
    Thanks chris

2. EX51SSS

EX51SSS Funster

Yes i stayed there on the recommendation of the old bill in Dover as it was quiet and safe. Marine drive is alright but think parking regulations come into force from 8.00 am

• Like Like x 1
  3. scousebird

scousebird Funster

Lots of MHs park on the seafront at Dover. The charges according to Dover DC website are from 9am - 5pm

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

It is a bit crowded along the Marine Esplanade as the works going on have taken a bit off it, and there are a lot of people parking up there for fear of getting booked outside the Flats.
    However and I am not sure when it starts, the car park at Camden Crescent just off the seafront is going to be available for Motorhomes only at night , for a fee of course. This area is Just to side of the Gateway flats (out of site of the nimbys) You go into Wellesley Road and the entrance is in Camden Crescent. Might be worth a look I will have a look later to sheck it out. Will report back later.

• Like Like x 1
  5. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

I have just been down to check, and the barrier is still there at 2.2 metres. I do hope that they actually do go and set it up soon. I have been carping on about facilities in Dover to anyone that will listen , including my neighbour who is a District Concillor.
    If and when I have more information I will post it. The works at the Western End of the esplanade is not as big as I was led to expect and there are a load of vans parked there tonight.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Tom A

Tom A Funster

We're hoping to stop there overnight in a couple of weeks.
    Can you tell me which road I use to get on Marine Drive please ?

7. EX51SSS

EX51SSS Funster

Maybe some will give you the Co ordinates but simply sat nav it.

8. scousebird

scousebird Funster

The best route at the moment (due to huge roadworks happening right through Dover) is to travel to Dover via the A/M2. At the roundabout at the port entrance take the first exit, pass the first left onto the seafront then turn left onto Wellesley Road then left onto Marine Parade.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Tom A

Tom A Funster

We should arrive at Dover about 10pm on a Saturday night. Do you think we should find a spot ?

10. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

It will be a while yet. The meeting to discuss the report and the results of the public consultation isn't until 5th September. Assuming that the go ahead is given then, presumably, the formal planning process will have to be undertaken before work can actually start.

11. scousebird

scousebird Funster

I would have thought so, it's quite a long seafront.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. PeteH

PeteH Funster

I cannot find the thread, but I recollect that recently there where moves to BAN overnight parking on marine parade?..

Pete

13. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

This One. It's a review of all parking in Dover, including stopping nuisance caused and providing alternatives for motorhomes, rather than a ban.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. PeteH

PeteH Funster

Thanks for that, I had no idea there was a "consultation". But then most consultation IMV gets only to those who favour the "Official" line anyway. For the rest it is unusual for such things to be given very much "air time". I assume by now it is too late to "consult"?.

Pete

15. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I'm surprised any council bothers to give more than lip service to consultation when they are faced with such prejudiced, negative, comments as that.
    There was plenty of publicity about the consultation on here and several of us put comments in.
    The same happened with the restrictions in North Yorkshire (Scarborough area) and resulted in changes to the proposed scheme.

16. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

Western end only by the clock tower or you mght be booked, they work at night sometimes to catch lorries at the industrial areas, if there aren't any they go elsewhere in a white van marked parking services.

• Like Like x 1
  17. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

And so they should. No point having restrictions if they aren't enforced.
    It's just like planning consent in that respect, there to serve the overall public interest rather than just the wants of individuals.