Maps and Site Books for France (1 Viewer)

Tweedie

Free Member
Sep 14, 2015
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 740
Exp
1 year (getting a bit experienced now)
Hi all we are planning our extended first tour of France in our first motorhome starting in April, it will be for approx 4 to 5 months. We have got all the aires books, french passion and am just about to order the ACSI card. We are planning to use a mix of Aires and sites so was looking for suggestions as to what, if any, other campsites books are good for motorhomes. Also looking to get a good road map for overall planning purposes and a larger scale road atlas for navigation (don't use sat nav).

Any suggestions as to what would be the best publications to get.

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
The AA Big Easy Read France arrived today. Haven't had time to give it more than a cursory glance, but looks pretty good.

Broken Link Removed

Brian

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
The publications you have should be okay but if you have a Smart Phone or iPad you can use Apps to help you find Aires and Camp sites wherever you are in France.

Many France Passion sites can be a nightmare to find without some form of GPS device.

We use an iPad to help find those overnight stops that are hidden away and the older we get the more we rely on electronic devices to get us around France.

Maps and books have always been our best friends in years gone past but unless you want an argumentative life on the open road I'd suggest you take some sort of electronic help for yourselves

:france::france::france::france:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
and am just about to order the ACSI card.
Take care over which ACSI card you order, there is lots of confusion as there are two.
One is just an ID card (there are some other benefits) which you can use at campsites instead of handing them your passport.
The other is a discount card which comes with their guide to campsites and gives of-peak discounts.
You could, of course, order both but it's easy to order the wrong one.

Richard.

OP
OP
Tweedie

Tweedie

Free Member
Sep 14, 2015
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 740
Exp
Am ordering the ACSI from Vicarious books, looks like it comes with the book & card but will check, thanks. We have always navigated the 'old fashion way' OK but maybe I can persuade the OH that we should enter the modern world of electronic navigation!!! at least then I can get a chance of enjoying the scenery rather than having my head stuck in a map navigating whilst he is driving :LOL::LOL:.

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
You won't regret getting an App to help.

Most are cheap or even free – we use 'CamperContact.com' to find Aires.

After some fraught journeys in earlier years when using maps we now have a much more relaxing holiday as our electronic friend works out our route and finds the Aires and camp sites without us having to keep our eyes on the road signs every inch of the way.

And he can argue with the electronic voice, and blame them, rather than picking on you when a rare error occurs in your normally brilliant navigating.

Bon Voyage.

OP
OP
Tweedie

Tweedie

Free Member
Sep 14, 2015
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 740
Exp
Thanks Keith, so you know what the next question I am going to ask is...... recommendations for a good but very simple to use sat nav but one that you can plan your own route into if you want.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
(y)
You won't regret getting an App to help.

Most are cheap or even free – we use 'CamperContact.com' to find Aires.

After some fraught journeys in earlier years when using maps we now have a much more relaxing holiday as our electronic friend works out our route and finds the Aires and camp sites without us having to keep our eyes on the road signs every inch of the way.

And he can argue with the electronic voice, and blame them, rather than picking on you when a rare error occurs in your normally brilliant navigating.

Bon Voyage.
Always ready to stand corrected but don't you have a you tube clip ignoring the sat nav and getting lost?(y):ROFLMAO:

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Am ordering the ACSI from Vicarious books, looks like it comes with the book & card but will check, thanks. We have always navigated the 'old fashion way' OK but maybe I can persuade the OH that we should enter the modern world of electronic navigation!!! at least then I can get a chance of enjoying the scenery rather than having my head stuck in a map navigating whilst he is driving :LOL::LOL:.
If you have the acsi card defo get the app, it's invaluable as can use offline too. Map shows all the sites around you with reviews and a run down of amenities, etc. With that and the aire books, shldnt need much more. :)

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Thanks Keith, so you know what the next question I am going to ask is...... recommendations for a good but very simple to use sat nav but one that you can plan your own route into if you want.

As Keith say's sat nav great to take you to aires / sites using gps co-ord's, I use Tomtom caravan model (not cheap), put in moho size into details , set no toll roads, tap in gps co-ord's takes you your chosen aire /site, if you fancy a detour from it's route it will automatically re-route to destination, or you can put in that you want to go via places on route option.
Hope you have a great trip,might bump into you over there as wee will be over in june & again in sept.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
@Tweedie
Simple easy to use sat nav?
Don't waste your money just get CoPilot on your phone better than even the most expensive satnav and cost £25 ish.
:)(y)
Good luck

OP
OP
Tweedie

Tweedie

Free Member
Sep 14, 2015
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 740
Exp
Thanks all for the advice, much appreciated, will look into CoPilot and will definately get the ACSI app as well. (y)(y)

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We travel the whole of Europe for months at a time and all we use nowadays is ACSI book All the Aires and BordAtlas along with CoPilot for navigation and route planning.
Dumped everything else it's not needed, the list above covers all of Europe and something like 12000 camping spots (not sure of exact figure but more than enough). Easy to carry too many books and Apps but they're not needed and if you're not careful you end up with information overload.(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back