LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I'm sure everyone knows by now that we've just adopted a new furry friend for Alfie.

We had Lula from Many Tears Animal Rescue near Llanelli in South Wales and they are by far the best rescue kennels we've ever seen!

We were home-checked and advised to take Alf and all members of the family to go to meet Lula.

The kennels are very clean and well laid out. The staff, both paid and volunteers, are attentive and helpful. On Saturday when we visited, there were whole families getting involved with walking the dogs.

Lula had been checked over by the vet, vaccinated, spayed, wormed and microchipped.

Everything was explained to us and written down - what the vet had discovered, including a very mild heart-murmur, when the 2nd part of her vaccination was due, what treatment she'd received for an infected ear and we were given antibiotics and ear drops to continue this at home. The charge for all this (including the dog)? Just £170.

We were even given the option to back-out! No hard-sell or pushiness.

So if any Funsters are considering having a dog, I can highly recommend this establishment. It is run by a husband & wife who are hands-on for 15 hours a day, 7 days a week and who also run boarding kennels alongside the rescue to pay the bills.

They take in a lot of ex-breeding bitches from puppy farms but also dogs from local authority kennels and homes where families struggle to cope. Previously they rescued a lot of dogs from dreadful conditions on Irish puppy farms, but the new application of rabies regulations are now hampering this.

Link to Many Tears Animal Rescue

Please take a moment to sign this petition - the changes in application of the rabies vaccination requirement have been discussed on here.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/649/...uture-of-dog-rescue-organisations-in-ireland/

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
thats where we got our little westie molly from....lucky to get away with only the one!:roflmto:

If Clare had had her way they would have been emptied out:Eeek:

excellent place, had heard that it had shut down a little while ago due to lack of funds...obviously not the case i guess!!

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
We have 2 near us. Firstly Blue Cross rescue, but they are very strange and only let you choose a dog via a folder full of photos :cry:

Anyway, when we eventually got our current mutt from here ..

http://www.stokenchurchdogrescue.co.uk/

I went up on a Sunday, just before they closed.

Fantastic folk and let you wander round all the very spacious kennels.

When I said I fancied the dopey looking one in the last kennel, they brought him straight out and said I could take him for a walk.

We got on great so all OK.
Paid up there and then (£150) and a lady was at house at 10:AM next day to check house and garden. She borrowed my phone and rung them to say all OK.

Elvis arrived home about 4:00 that day :Smile:

He was introduced to the pub beer garden at 5:00 :roflmto:

22674d1390835387-many-tears-animal-rescue-elvis_1.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• elvis_1.jpg
    elvis_1.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
ELVIS???:whatthe::whatthe:

Bet it wears your gold suit!!!:winky:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Thanks Janine

That sounds about the same procedure as for where Dawn helps

www.sesaw.co.uk

The home visit is not just about the place but the general impression of what goes on which tells the visitor a huge amount that may not be obvious about where the dog is likely to be homed. A case of matching the right dog to the right prospective owner.

Don't forget that a lot of major [STRIKE]businesses[/STRIKE] charities have a "kill" policy where if the animal is not cute enought to be rehomed and sticks around for more than a week or two, it is simply euthanised as it is cheaper option.:Angry:

The smaller rescue places often take those dogs/cats and do succeed in finding them a home:thumb:

Look on SESAW's facebook page and you can see a sample of the dogs rehomed in the last couple of years. Many of them have been fostered by either ourselves or others if they are stressed in the kennels. (he says, looking at his wallet with the chewed corner :winky:)

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Don't forget that a lot of major [STRIKE]businesses[/STRIKE] charities have a "kill" policy where if the animal is not cute enought to be rehomed and sticks around for more than a week or two, it is simply euthanised as it is cheaper option.:Angry:

The smaller rescue places often take those dogs/cats and do succeed in finding them a home:thumb:
Not always true. The two I mentioned above, take a truck every so often to Ireland and bring a load of dogs back to be re-homed.
Apparently over there, they have no re-homing facility and all are put down.

Elvis was a stray in Ireland and he was one of the lucky ones :Smile:

OP
OP
Janine

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Not always true. The two I mentioned above, take a truck every so often to Ireland and bring a load of dogs back to be re-homed.

This will change now that Pet passports are required to move them from Ireland to the UK. :Sad:

Sign as many petitions as you can find online to try and change this policy.

Here's one:

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/649/...uture-of-dog-rescue-organisations-in-ireland/

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008

Elvis was a stray in Ireland and he was one of the lucky ones :Smile:

I was thinking more the ones you see on telly.......... Nothing wrong with the Blue Cross. There is another one (dogs trust, I think) that will never put a healthy dog down. It is the smaller rescue places that soak up the pressure but with very limited funds in many cases. Dawn works almost full time together with a lot of helpers for nothing (we don't even claim fuel, but do receive dog food for the foster dogs) except the reward of doing the right thing for the dogs. They do get on well with the RSPCA at inspector level as they have frequent visits from them to check on conditions

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back