Free Member
Apr 20, 2009
dumfries scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years
Hi guys I am happy with the motorhome i have,however i have surgery looming which means I am no longer going to have a left hip,and i was wondering if it's possible to to turn my merc sprinter manual transmission to auto.I'ts taken a while to get the set up we like so i don't want to have to start looking again, I think it's all going to boil down to price,is it better to trade in for an auto,or would it be cheap enough to do the work needed.Any info would be greatly appreciated:thumb:

Feb 3, 2008
Highworth
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 85
Hi
A friend of mine who lost his left leg had an auto clutch fitted which solved his problem,this might be a cheaper option.
I think the company that fitted it was :-TB Turbo in Lancaster.

Hope this helps
Pete:thumb:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Though this may not seem the answer you actually are looking for - change to an auto.

Conversions can be done, but may be pricey as they are far more advanced electronics-wise than just changing the box and a few bits, it will need alot of electronic add ons etc. This could end up being a rod for your own back, as when the electronic have been tampered with, there is always going to be complications.

I would keep it simple and get an auto! As time goes on, autos will become more popular and thus the price will rise, so probably a good time to buy!

The reason I say they will become popular? Well, people bought manual because clutches were cheaper that auto box repairs. As well as auto boxes becoming far better, with exception of VAG, and very reliable, the new dual mass clutches now cost the same to replace as a new auto box! - and need doing at far more regular intervals!

Go auto, and for your own peice of mind do not convert yours. I know this may be a pain and we all spend far too long fussily finding the right one (and so we should!), but it will be more beneficial in the long run!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 30, 2008
aldridge
Funster No
MH
waiting
Exp
8yrs
As I passed my test in an automatic. I can only drive an auto vehicle so when I started
looking for a motorhome 5yrs ago there wasn't much choice, so the vehicle which I
liked was only on a fiat who didn't do auto's at the time.so I asked Vehvac if they could
fit an auto clutch to the fiat
They fitted it before I picked the van up,there was a button on the gearstick which
activated the clutch pedal & all you have to do is press the button and change gear.
The only trouble I had was I couldn't get used to changing the gears as I hadn't had to
do so before.

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Try and find out whether or not you will qualify for mobility allowance once you have had your operation.

You may find that the disability motobility scheme may pay for some or all of the alterations.

Worth looking into and may save you paying for it all yourself, sorry I cant advise as I know very little about it

OP
OP
bazfergy

bazfergy

Free Member
Apr 20, 2009
dumfries scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years
Try and find out whether or not you will qualify for mobility allowance once you have had your operation.

You may find that the disability motobility scheme may pay for some or all of the alterations.

Worth looking into and may save you paying for it all yourself, sorry I cant advise as I know very little about it
Thanks for the reply i already recieve mobility and didn't even give this a thought i'll have to make some enquiries,may even get it vat free or something thanks again:thumb:

evans88

Free Member
Jul 8, 2008
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
You will find it extremely difficult to buy an auto secondhand as there are very few about.

If you want a new vehicle you will have a long wait. I have just bought a Fiat auto and have to wait at least 7 months before I receive it due to base vehicle shortages.

The new Renault launched this week no longer has an auto option; neither does the Transit so its a Merc or Fiat but be prepared for a long wait.

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
Try here for information:

Link Removed

:Smile:
Keith

breakaleg

Free Member
Jan 20, 2010
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
30 Years
Hi,
I have problems with my left leg, so I had Auto clutch fitted £1500.
The beauty of it is, it doesn't interfere with your manual set up and it can be turned off, should you choose to, it can also be moved from van to van as you change.

It works o.k you still have to change gear, but you don't use the clutch pedal.
Unfortunately T.B turbos, stopped trading a while back, but Mark who used to work there has more information and his number is: 0152 484 3721
It may be worth giving him a call for more informed information.
Hope this helps
Pete

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back