Mandatory Dog Flea Stamp in the Passport? Really? (1 Viewer)

Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
Going to France in the Motorhome in April and taking out Labrador with us. He has a pet passport so we are all set.

But read this on the info for traveling with Dogs on the CC Site.

Returning to the UK
In order to bring your pet home, make sure you have:

1. a valid pet passport
  2. taken your pet to the vet for flea and tapeworm treatment 24-120 hours before returning home – ensure this is stamped on your pet’s passport
Is this right? Do people do this? We do a lot of his flea treatments ourselves and he just has the yearly top ups at the vets.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
In a word yes. Unless the passport is completed by a qualified vet then you could end up with your dog in quarantine.

OP
OP
davidathomas42
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
In a word yes. Unless the passport is completed by a qualified vet then you could end up with your dog in quarantine.

Gutted. Thats a pain... So we have to run off and find a vet to do a simple flea jab/ointment.

Oh well..... Plan Plan Plan...

Thanks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I think it is just the worm tablet you have to have administered or do yourself with your own tablet if you wish in front of the vet

we have paid as little as €20, in the whole scheme of things it doesn't add enough to worry about (y)

you certainly will not avoid it by cursing :)

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Sorry yes. We had no trouble finding a vet near Calais and although it was a few years back there will be plenty on here who can recommend one. I will be in the same position next September but it's money well spent for an u eventful return journey.!!

Feb 26, 2013
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise stargazer
Exp
since 2013
It isn't the flea treatment but the tapeworm pill the vet has to give them. When returning you visit a vet between 24 and 120 hours before travelling back. They give your dog the treatment and check that it's fit to travel. They need to sign in two places in the passport and its all checked very carefully at the other side before you board. Good luck .

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Going to France in the Motorhome in April and taking out Labrador with us. He has a pet passport so we are all set.

Returning to the UK

1. a valid pet passport
  2. taken your pet to the vet for flea and tapeworm treatment 24-120 hours before returning home – ensure this is stamped on your pet’s passport
Is this right? Do people do this? We do a lot of his flea treatments ourselves and he just has the yearly top ups at the vets.
I don't know what you are quoting, I haven't heard about a flea treatment but the need for tapeworm treatment is important.
There is a type of tapeworm in mainland Europe which can cause serious harm in humans.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Returning to the UK
  1. a valid pet passport
It's partly right and partly wrong!
  1. You need a valid pet passport which you've already got so that's sorted!
  2. You do need to go to a vet and have the tapeworm treatment done 24-120 hours before you return to the UK but you do NOT have to have a tick treatment (never been required for fleas anyway), it used to be mandatory but not anymore however it is a good idea to dose your dog regularly anyway as ticks are more prevalent abroad than in the UK.
You MUST make sure the passport is completed in both the worming and health sections and is signed, dated and has a time on it too otherwise you could end up having to have it confirmed at the ferry/tunnel or have to have it done all over again and have a delay too whilst you wait for the time period to pass before you can come back, so make sure you check its done properly before departing from the vet's premises to be safe.

OP
OP
davidathomas42
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks for all the replies.

We are going back via Zeebrugge to Hull so will have to do it on the last day of the holiday before we take the 2 day trip back across France.

Staying at http://www.yellohvillage.co.uk/camping/le_littoral

So ill start looking for a Vet in the area and get see if I can get the booking done sooner that later so I have all my ducks in a row.

iLondoner

Free Member
Jul 23, 2016
London and Granada Altiplano
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Forte
Exp
Past owner
You MUST make sure the passport is completed in both the worming and health sections...
The fitness for travel Section IX Clinical Examination is primarily intended for when the pet is travelling separately from the owner which is why there are only 5 spaces for stamps against the 15 spaces in section VII Echinococcus Treatment (tapeworm). Initially we had both sections completed at a cost €25 per dog as it required a qualified vet to carry out an examination. When we realised our error the cost for just the tapeworm tablet and associated stamp dropped to €2.50.

See

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
france is a very rural country there are vets in every town weve only ever booked once usually just turn up and wait
we stayed at that site last year for a week its a great site and cheap with the acsi card

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The fitness for travel Section IX Clinical Examination is primarily intended for when the pet is travelling separately from the owner which is why there are only 5 spaces for stamps against the 15 spaces in section VII Echinococcus Treatment (tapeworm). Initially we had both sections completed at a cost €25 per dog as it required a qualified vet to carry out an examination. When we realised our error the cost for just the tapeworm tablet and associated stamp dropped to €2.50.

See
The link is to comments on another forum dating back to 2010 but I believe is still correct that the clinical exam isn't always a requirement however I've mentioned this to vets in the past when abroad and they all insist it IS a requirement ... not easy to try to argue the point in their language!

Where do you get your dog done?

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We just find a vet within 5 days of returning to UK-some are dearer than others-they give a worm tablet, sign passport and that's it! You must allow 24 hours clear before you travel back to UK.

Deleted User
Another thing to be aware of, maybe not so much for France, but if you travel further afield. the type of worming you give your dog prior to travel as there are different types of protection for things that are not standard in the UK ones. Bearing in mind it's only dosed every three months might need to think about it well in advance of departure. It's to cover heartworm and lungworm if your regular treatment doesn't. Your vet should be able to advise specific to where you are travelling.

Lin :)

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i

We are going back via Zeebrugge to Hull so will have to do it on the last day of the holiday before we take the 2 day trip back across France.

So ill start looking for a Vet in the area and get see if I can get the booking done sooner that later so I have all my ducks in a row.

The time period is based on check-in time at departure port NOT arrival time in England, so between 24/120 hours gives a good leeway these days. As has been said. it is very very important to check the passprt has been correctly filled in with medication details, date and time. and vet stamp and signature. Continental vets do sometimes make mistakes Technically speaking the fitness to travel isn't required, I believe it's only for shipped animals. ie unaccompanied and in aircraft holds, but most vets fill it in anyway.

Malcolm

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We always take their regular (drontal) wormer after being stung once for €52 by a vet on a Sunday (our fault for leaving it too late).
Cheapest we've been charged is €10 .. in Bruges and he didn't examine... took our word on the wormer and just stamped the passport.
Sexiest vet was at Sant Feliu de Guíxols.. can't remember what she charged ..
(Sorry but she was gorgeous)
:xThumb:

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2013
Staffs
Funster No
MH
A big white thing ???
Exp
3 yrs, (tenting and tugging before)
..... and make sure the vet signs it. After having ours done in Montendre some years ago arrived at Caen to find the passport stamped but not signed. Had to find another vet there to sign it!

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
You used to have to have both treatments done, and for cats too. I used to have to take 4 into the vets before we left France. The travel window was 24-48 hours so days you could enter UK were limited too.

It's very easy, the vets are used to doing it, and you get a much bigger travel window now. 24-120 hours.
Find the vet map on Fun and you're bound to be near one. I would recommend you do the flea and tick treatment yourself too as the European tick has now got into Britain ( I said at the time it was a mistake to drop it from the passport regs)

Check the vet stamps, signs and puts the correct date and TIME on the passport. Any omissions will mean you're refused boarding , have to revisit a vet and wait another 24 hours.

Boycey

Free Member
Aug 14, 2016
Settle
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
Sincw2014
We got stung in Luxembourg 52 euros and did nt even check dog and insisted it was 72 hours not 120.. In Algarve really thorough examination 14 euros using our own tablet.. He was happy to put down whatever date we wanted to allow us plenty of time to travel back. The time limits refer to when you land in England not when you leave the Continent

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007

Make sure you have a vet and 2 alternative vets just in case

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
That will do. Shall give them a call.

Careful. The 24-120 hours is critical and when you check in they will check it down to the minute.

If it's 23 hours and 35 minutes or 120 hours and 10 minutes you will not be travelling. Simple as that. It does happen, I've witnessed it more than once.

Mel's advice to make sure that the vet fills in the passport correctly is the best advice on this thread.

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
You can visit the vet up to 5 days before you sail
However the treatment must be given at least 24 hours before sailing
Just worming tablet and a general health inspection.
We take our own drontal and the vet gives it.

We can recommend
the vet in Forge les Eaux outside of Dieppe
Monseur Patrick Patyn
He speaks good English and charges a very fair price
Tel: 0235900505

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
yes, make sure you check the entry from the VET, we had one that corrected the date by overwriting it about 800 miles from Calais. When we got to board we were told it wasn't acceptable and they wouldn't let the dog on. I had to have a nice chat with the guy and luckily Nikki had kept the receipt so we were able to prove the date it was done. They can be right funny sometimes, nearly had to throw Tara in and let her swim back to the UK although she would have probably preferred that.
But as you have read by now, it really is a painless experience taking them over the water, saves on kennels and they can be great guard dogs.

OP
OP
davidathomas42
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
Can someone please post a picture of the pet passport filled in correctly so I have a template to work from when checking

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back