Manbags? What do you use to carry stuff when you are out and about? (1 Viewer)

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Why on earth do you need 3 Swiss army knives? Are you afraid that you won't be able to find what you're looking for on one and have to look on another ....
LOL! I like Swiss army knives :D One
I inherited from my grandfather, then I bought one of my own about 20 years ago. And then I bought another one last year, when we were in Switzerland!

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
I struggle with the need for a man bag. So the list of things I carry about my person:
1) 3 Swiss army knives
2) Swiss army card (fits in wallet)
3) Wallet
4) Mobile phone
5) Key fob for bizarre keyless system on my car

All of these items fit neatly into pockets in my jeans, why would I need a bag. I have all of life's essentials in my pockets.

Because, without all that stuff in your pockets, your hips and body outline would look smoother and generally you would look the sort of guy the women would chase after. ......That's why you need to manbag:LOL:

Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
Only just spotted this thread , I could never see the need for a man bag .
However I'm now with toots, Meds , sun glasses , reading glasses , phone , wallet the list goes on . You just do not have enough pockets to put it all . So I am now a man who carries a bag !

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Only just spotted this thread , I could never see the need for a man bag .
However I'm now with toots, Meds , sun glasses , reading glasses , phone , wallet the list goes on . You just do not have enough pockets to put it all . So I am now a man who carries a bag !

I agree that we end up having loads to carry but still can't be seen with a man bag and my wife wouldn't be seen with me if I got one!

daved2524

Free Member
Jan 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
5th wheel and a Nissan
Exp
Since April 2016
Ok... I ... own up.. :X3:

I have a Troop canvas messenger bag, great quality http://www.trooplondon.com

highly recommend them.. tough heavy duty canvas construction, strong zips and brass buckles with real leather trim..

I use it mainly on holidays..

View attachment 122093

I like the bag I'm even thinking I could use that. I am very funny in my ways and the idea of a man having a handbag puts me off my beer. I will think about this and be a new man at newly 67

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
The French are not critical of a man carrying a bag, most men have one including moi. I agree that the stuff can be fitted into trouser pockets etc but much of that falls out when one sits down/stands up.

If others don't approve that is their problem, not mine - their opinions don't matter anyway.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
It would be interesting to hear the necessity to carry 3 penknives and whether your reasons would satisfy the police. The law on knives at present:-

It is illegal to:

• sell a knife to anyone under 18 (16 to 18 year olds in Scotland can buy cutlery and kitchen knives) unless it’s a knife with a folding blade 3 inches long (7.62cm) or less
  • carry a knife in public without good reason - unless it’s a knife with a folding blade 3 inches long (7.62cm) or less
  • carry, buy or sell any type of banned knife
  • use any knife in a threatening way (even a legal knife)
Lock knives are not classed as folding knives and are illegal to carry in public without good reason. Lock knives:

• have blades that can be locked and refolded only by pressing a button
  • can include multi-tool knives - tools that also contain other devices such as a screwdriver or can opener
Banned knives and weapons
It is illegal to bring into the UK, sell, hire, lend or give anyone the following:

• butterfly knives (also known as ‘balisongs’) - a blade hidden inside a handle that splits in the middle
  • disguised knives - a blade or sharp point hidden inside what looks like everyday objects such as a buckle, phone, brush or lipstick
  • flick knives (also known as ‘switchblades’ or ‘automatic knives’) - a blade hidden inside a handle which shoots out when a button is pressed
  • gravity knives
  • stealth knives - a knife or spike not made from metal (except when used at home, for food or a toy)
  • zombie knives - a knife with a cutting edge, a serrated edge and images or words suggesting it is used for violence
  • swords, including samurai swords - a curved blade over 50cm (with some exceptions, such as antiques and swords made to traditional methods before 1954)
  • sword-sticks - a hollow walking stick or cane containing a blade
  • push daggers
  • blowpipes (‘blow gun’)
  • telescopic truncheons - extend automatically by pressing button or spring in the handle
  • batons - straight, side-handled or friction-lock truncheons
  • hollow kubotans - a cylinder-shaped keychain holding spikes
  • shurikens (also known as ‘shaken’, ‘death stars’ or ‘throwing stars’)
  • kusari-gama - a sickle attached to a rope, cord or wire
  • kyoketsu-shoge - a hook-knife attached to a rope, cord or wire
  • kusari (or ‘manrikigusari’) - a weight attached to a rope, cord, wire
  • hand or foot-claws
  • knuckledusters
This is not a complete list of banned knives and weapons. Contact your local police to check if a knife or weapon is illegal.

Good reasons for carrying a knife or weapon
Examples of good reasons to carry a knife or weapon in public can include:

• taking knives you use at work to and from work
  • taking it to a gallery or museum to be exhibited
  • if it’ll be used for theatre, film, television, historical reenactment or religious purposes, for example the kirpan some Sikhs carry
  • if it’ll be used in a demonstration or to teach someone how to use it
A court will decide if you’ve got a good reason to carry a knife or a weapon if you’re charged with carrying it illegally.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I must admit joking apart, I too was wondering why even if you own a penknife etc why nowadays you need to carry it ... never mind three! :rolleyes:

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Yes I've had this problem ,I now wear trousers / shorts that have large amount of pockets and carry a small rucksack. I couldn't find a bag that I felt comfortable carrying , mainly caused by other people's associations with them.
Whoa!!! You mean your not Gay? You're so yesterday! I thought everybody was Gay these days. Come on come out and get a Man Bag.:giggler:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Pepper Spray, false wallet, flick knife, cash, credit cards, immodium, Rennies air pistol replica and spare contacts

daved2524

Free Member
Jan 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
5th wheel and a Nissan
Exp
Since April 2016
I must admit joking apart, I too was wondering why even if you own a penknife etc why nowadays you need to carry it ... never mind three! :rolleyes:

I defiantly have found many times I have wished I had my penknife with me if only to clean my nails

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
@Abacist I am fully aware of all the rules surrounding carrying of knives. Trust me, my grandfathers knife is truly beyond repair, if I were to stab someone with it, all it would do is annoy them, a bit like prodding someone with a stick! Purely sentimental reasons for carrying it. The bottle opener part still works well though :D

The lock knife thing really gutted me in Switzerland, I was picking out my knife, saw the one I really liked, got the girl to get it out of the cabinet for me so I could measure the blade, it looked big. She handed to me, I opened the blade "click" as it locked into place. Bugger, I says, I can't have that in England. Shame, it was a really nice knife.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
You might like to read this newspaper article and review the need to carry 3 penknives. I think the potential hassle is far too great for me.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/...-penknife.-Youre-going-down-mate-he-said.html
A bit of journalistic licence has gone into this I feel. Carrying a collapsible baton is, and always has been classed as carrying an offensive weapon, there is no other reason to carry one other than inflicting harm. I suspect that is really why he was detained, the penknife is a red herring!

Aug 11, 2016
ipswich
Funster No
MH
Not sure
Exp
1 year
Have just edited this for you.

If you have to carry a manbag, something such as the Scrotesac below will show everyone you are truly a real COCK.

Link Removed[/QUOTE]

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Thread Hijack Alert!!!!

For all of those who have recently purchased a Swiss Army Knife, lift your corkscrew, you may not have noticed this little thing, arrowed in the photo:
swissarmy1.JPG

Get a finger nail behind the little metal button and pull it out, you have a pin, useful for resetting most modern electronic devices! :D
swissarmy2.JPG

I only shared this, bacause I only just found this on mine recently! :D

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
A bit of journalistic licence has gone into this I feel. Carrying a collapsible baton is, and always has been classed as carrying an offensive weapon, there is no other reason to carry one other than inflicting harm. I suspect that is really why he was detained, the penknife is a red herring!
I got a bit curious after reading the article. He was cleared of any wrong doing.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/4379766.stm

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..

was pretty sure i had a (very useful) penknife lurking in the bottom of my ladies equivalent of a man bag, and lo and behold, i indeed do have one..(y)
and will i leave it in there? too damn right i will..:p
what's the point of having one and leaving it stuck in a drawer at home..:confused:

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
i keep my penknives in my shoulder holster next to my pistol, or in the shotgun case.........

and the dog carries my fags and phone.....

o_O

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I got a nice new leather man bag presie when we were in Spain last week. I was a bit reluctant to change it over with the old one. A man gets attached to his old bag.;):)

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
My 'man bag' next to my morning coffee :)

IMG_20170406_070504.jpg

Mostly used for carrying food :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back