Man injured after motorhome tire explodes

Discussion in 'Motorhomes in the News' started by scotjimland, Oct 19, 2012.

1. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

One man is hospitalized and another is recovering from more minor injuries after a tire exploded in Orono Friday.

[​IMG]

First responders were called to the Amstar gas station at 3360 Shoreline Drive on reports that an employee had been injured. When Orono police officers arrived they found that the employee had been attempting to fill a tire on a one-ton truck camper when it blew..

Read More

2. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

Where were his tyre (tire ?) pressure monitors when they were needed ? :BigGrin:

Very lucky man. I have seen some nasty injuries in the past with this kind of incident.

3. Terry

Terry Funster

Nearest I have come to that was blowing son's football up with compressor :BigGrin: the bang frightened me to death:Eeek::BigGrin:
    Terry

4. Gromett

Gromett Funster

A truck tyre exploded as it was passing my brother when he was 3 years old. It not only scared the crap out of him we were also worried about him losing his eyesight for the next 2 days... Luckily he fully recovered.

5. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

many years ago while camping I was using a 12v tyre inflator to inflate a double air bed... I set it up behind the car and went to do other stuff .... so it was now out of sight and I forgot about it .. ... you can see what's coming .. :Laughing:

yes, it blew up to the size of small car .. buggered all the internal straps that keep it flat and looked like a giant hopper ball... :Rofl1:

on a more serious note.. I served my apprenticeship at India Tyres.. they had a test bay where they ran tyres on rolling roads until the burst .. there was a viewing room , protected by a steel cage... but when one of them bust .. wow .. scary or what.. I always remember that when inflating tyres, keep to one side with your back against the car/van .. never in front of the wheel..

6. peter marshall

peter marshall

Dangerous these tyres, I remember going through Birmingham on the M6 in a Mini, when passing a truck the steel ring on his front wheel blew off and missed my windscreen by a fraction dont dare to think of what could have happened. Pete :Sad::Sad::Sad:

7. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I saw a kid blowing up (literally) his bike tyre on a garage airline. Luckily no damage (once he'd changed anyway :Rofl1:)

• Like Like x 1