Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
[HI]My licence may have expired[/HI], anyhow I am now on Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.0.2.1012

You need to contact the establishment you are on licence from and tell them that you will return forthwith... ::bigsmile::winky::RollEyes::Blush::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
My licence may have expired, anyhow I am now on Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.0.2.1012

Strange. When I went to update it just did the database. Went to the web site and it offered me that version as a free update. Just installed it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
You lot pay for it? I'm on the free version, it's updating in the Faroes and a lot further to travel so must be Leicester's gone tits up. :roflmto:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
You lot pay for it? I'm on the free version, it's updating in the Faroes and a lot further to travel so must be Leicester's gone tits up. :roflmto:

The Pro or Premium version is an upgrade from the Free version

Detects and protects against malware in real-time
Blocks hacking and phishing attempts
Schedules automatic scanning

more details here https://www.malwarebytes.org/premium/

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Anyone having problems connecting to their server to get updates?

Try Spybot Search and Destroy, it is also free. The reason I like it is because all of the additional features you have to purchase in Malware are free in Spybot. Used it for years, very impressive software.

It allows for real time protection and lets you know if any processes are trying to change key system resources. IT does this via a thing called a 'tea timer' (Don't ask why) It is set up by "inoculating" your system - to use the Spybot parlance. Unless your computer is relatively new a fast don't do this as it can have negative performance issues. (Which is IT speak for slows your system down at startup and during other load events)

Spybot also has a bunch of free system performance tools which are very handy to have - again these are only available in paid for version of MalwareBytes.

I am not connected to Spybot in any way other than as a happy user for over 10 years. Both professionally and on my own computers. :thumb:

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
The Pro or Premium version is an upgrade from the Free version

Detects and protects against malware in real-time
Blocks hacking and phishing attempts
Schedules automatic scanning

more details here https://www.malwarebytes.org/premium/

All of this is free in Spybot, and it is better software, and easier to use. :thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
[HI]All of this is free in Spybot[/HI], and it is better software, and easier to use. :thumb:

err no it isn't..

The free version of Spybot does not have scheduled scanning
that is ONLY available in paid editions.. Nor does it do auto updates.

Home Edition allows you to automate scanning, fixing, immunization and of course updating.

I use both and find equally easy to use..

You may find this helpful and informative..

Malwarebytes vs. Spybot: Side-by-side Comparison.
http://malwarebytes.knoji.com/compare-vs/spybotsearchdestroy/

Not everyone shares your faith in Spybot S&D
SpyBot S&D http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html (freeware - XP/Vista)
Note: [HI]due to poor testing results this product is no longer recommended[/HI].

Broken Link Removed

There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and there is no single best anti-virus.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I use the Premium Malwarebytes. It overhauled Spybot in performance and reputation ages ago, well for me at least.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I use the Premium Malwarebytes. It overhauled Spybot in performance and reputation ages ago, well for me at least.

Just read this review at PCPro of the once great Spybot.

Extremely poor detection of malware. Extremely poor removal of detected malware. Even worse removal of rootkits in particular. Many user interface elements significantly awkward.

For now, Malwarebytes rules::bigsmile:

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just read this review at PCPro of the once great Spybot.

For now, Malwarebytes rules::bigsmile:

Seems I am behind the times. I have sworn by Spybot for years.

Thanks for the links guys, I will update my brain on this one! :)

dj motormouth

Free Member
Nov 26, 2011
England
Funster No
MH
RV A Class
Exp
since 2011
I have just installed both Malwarebytes and also Spybot. I first went through everything using Malwarebytrs and it found some problems but did not make a massive difference. Then I installed Spybot - before Jim had posted - and it found a lot more. Now the internet is working a lot better. My os is Vista so ancient which might make a difference.

I would also like to mention that I have BT Broadband and I first downloaded their software to try and remove whatever was slowing things up to find that it was McAfee that then slowed everything to a snails pace, now removed.

Michael

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I have just installed both Malwarebytes and also Spybot. I first went through everything using Malwarebytrs and it found some problems but did not make a massive difference. Then I installed Spybot - before Jim had posted - and it found a lot more. Now the internet is working a lot better. My os is Vista so ancient which might make a difference.

I would also like to mention that I have BT Broadband and I first downloaded their software to try and remove whatever was slowing things up to find that it was McAfee that then slowed everything to a snails pace, now removed.

Michael

Nothing catches everything. But I have always trusted Spybot and it has always done me well.

McAfee is terrible, once uninstalled you might have to download a small application to finish the uninstall, as it often does not fully remove the product, and this stops you from installing alternative programmes.

Never have more than one AV system running at a time it will slow your machine to a crawl.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back