Malicious damage, covered or not?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Insurance General Discussion' started by Squeegee, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Squeegee

Squeegee Read Only Funster

I have just had a nasty experience. Two men who had done a small roof repair job on my house while I was doing a bit of routine stuff on the van. They wanted more work, but I declined. They left and when I raised the bonnet, which had been down but not latched, I saw the oil filler cap was missing. Looking inside I saw something, which turned out to be a fistful of cement mortar mix.
    My question is, would insurance company cover damage to the engine if, despite my best efforts, I have not removed every speck of sand and the engine is ruined? Or, do I not tell them until after it goes wrong, pretending I knew nothing about it? Third, do I just start it and hope for the best?
    I will not employ people who 'just happened to be doing a job up the road'.

2. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

My honest opinion - I would not tell you what to do, but if I was in the same situation I would contact the police and the local newspapers (so they dont scam others) and be honest with the insurance company.

At least that way I would not feel guilty about lying (but not everyone has that problem)

• Like Like x 6
  3. Squeegee

Yes, Of course I hadn't really considered doing that. In fact I've already told the police so the insurance company could easily check. The point about newspapers is a good one, I'll do that.

• Like Like x 1
  4. joner8888

joner8888 Read Only Funster

Maybe wait until the cement mixture has hardened off, remove the cam cover, clear out all the cement , replace cover and start up.
    Run for a short while , change oil and filter , cross your fingers.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Janine

Janine Funster Life Member

What a horrid thing to happen!

Just out of interest - did they ask if you wanted to sell your van? I'm forever getting men knocking on the door asking if I need my trees trimming/driveway cleaning/repairs to the roof etc. They invariably ask if I want to sell the van.

Once I did say 'yes - it's £20,000'. The man got really nasty so I've now taken to saying it's not mine to sell.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Kool Kroozer

Kool Kroozer Funster

PHONE THE POLICE :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  7. PP Bear

PP Bear Funster Life Member

Punch them in the face. Then get every one of your neighbours to do it too. Then all your friends and family and then me and every other Funster too. I'm beyond angry for you, what a bunch of t@ssers for doing such a thing :Angry:

Now call the police, the papers and the trading standards. Hopefully you'll have a business card, or at least the neighbour does, then pass it on :Angry:

Keep us posted and good luck with it all :thumb:

• Like Like x 3
  8. Squeegee

Malicious damage

Well, I am surprised so many people are out there reading this and not enjoying the splendid weather.
    I must thank all of you for your replies, some supportive, some angry, and some helpful.

I have told the police.
    I will inform the newspapers.
    I do not know who they were, so have no card. They told me they had just done some work on the chimney of the house opposite. That was a lie. Work had been done, but not by them.
    Punching in the face, yes an idea and if I knew where I might find them I might be inclined. However, my strongest feeling is that of, 'Why me?' I'd given them work, surely I have the right to refuse more? Also I get an awful feeling of an attack against myself. I know that way madness lies, but it's strong to shake off.
    As for John's tip as to what to do. I've taken the cover off, and the sump. Not a job I wish to repeat. Flushed all the cavities and oilways with brake cleaner and mopped each recess with paper. The interior of the rocker box gleams. I still don't have the nerve to start it until I hear from the insurance company as to whether I am covered if the engine does go kaput.
    I'll keep you posted.
    Thanks for your concern and support everyone.

• Like Like x 6
  9. The Wino

The Wino Funster

Best check what they've done on our roof as well:Sad:

David

• Like Like x 3
  10. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I hope you are successful in getting the engine clean and no damage results..

if you do make a claim, I would be careful about giving your insurance company this information.. they no doubt have a clause which basically says if you do not lock/secure the vehicle they are not liable for loss or damage..

11. Bluemerle

Bluemerle Read Only Funster

I am really sorry to hear about your van, but I am wlling to bet you have also been taken for a ride, on whatever roof work they claim to have done!

You need to get the roof checked by a reputable builder/roofer as often they cause deliberate damage in order to get more money out of you.

The last case were I was a technical witness, an old boy had been fleeced for £50,000 (yes £50,000) for shoddy work, that even had it been done correctly had a value of less than £2000!

I hope this will not prove to be too an expensive lesson for you,and please everyone, if someone knocks at your door touting for work, they are shysters not bona fide trademan. Be warned!!:Angry:

• Like Like x 5
  12. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

:Rofl1: :Rofl1: :Rofl1: these people dont have business cards, or accountants, or pay tax.

Black market scum.

13. Bluemerle

Bluemerle Read Only Funster

Strangely enough in my last job of 23 years, I found many had business cards, photo ID cards, and magnetic signs on their vans. Its that degree of "normality" that often sucks people in. Remember a good con man raises no suspicion!!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

Would insurance companies cover engine damage?

Vlad

15. sedge

sedge Funster

Why not?

Insurers might have some difficulty working out how the vandals got access to the engine though.

16. Squeegee

Hello again,

Well, the insurance company are sending an engineer to look at the van and then suggest whether I start it. This will take a week to arrange apparently, so I'll have to let you know afterwards.
    I was in the front garden doing some routine work on the van, so had the bonnet up, but put it down, but not latched fully when I went indoors to get their money. After all I was there most of the time.
    I take the point about not employing people who call on spec. I would not normally do this at all, but they claimed they had been working on the house opposite. The scaffolding was still in place then. However, it was not them who worked there at all. Surprise surprise.
    Thanks for your concern about the roof work as well, This was just a minor piece of pointing between tiles on a verge. I can reach it easily from a ladder. The work done by them is not marvellous, but I cannot do anything with mortar without a making an utter mess.

• Like Like x 1
  17. cruiser

cruiser Funster Life Member

my son said as you have the top of a nd the sump.steam clean it a couple of times.and then run oil through it.a couple of times.because you are never going to know if there is any left .unless you strip the whole engine down.otherwise you just take a chance.my said good luck.it has worked on a car he worked on.

18. Tootles

Tootles Funster

I make a point of not allowing ANYONE who hasn't passed an MI6 and FBI clearance past our front gate. The dog takes care of the odd diddy who casts a lustful eye towards our roof.
    The world is choka full of morons and neredowells, bent on f*****g up your life, and damaging your hard earned property.
    "Do I know you???? No?....Well, frig off!"(y)(y)(y)

• Like Like x 4
  19. iandsm

iandsm Funster

All I could do was press "like" whist feeling sorry there isn't a choice to say "I like very much" which I do. A perfect reply.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Keep us up to speed on your engine. Technically, you should have a complete stripdown and steamclean, however, with what you have done so far, I would think that a couple of fills with a good quality flushin oil will do the trick. When I was in Libya, we were doing sand trials on the brand new Chieftain, equipped with the worst engine ever invented, the Leyland L60. We were so p***ed off with removing the air cleaner 'biscuit' three times a day, some unknown person started pouring good old Libyan sand into the engines. They still ran! Never a bearing went, nor did one lock up.