Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
You should put a voltmeter on the battery terminals. Most British vans isolate the habitation electrics when the engine is started

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Looking at the figures given, the first thing I would do is check the voltages with a multimeter rather than rely on any meter built in.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I agree sounds like the battery has had it, I would turn off the charger and hope it has survived. Biggest cause of blown chargers is trying to charge a duff battery.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I agree sounds like the battery has had it, I would turn off the charger and hope it has survived. Biggest cause of blown chargers is trying to charge a duff battery.

Absolutely 100% agree Lenny.
Oddly, something that may seem unrelated, the most common cause of generator or reg rec failure on motorcycles is exactly that.. Old batteries coming to the end of their life.
The charging circuit works flat out to try and bring the battery up to what is considered a charged state.. The battery never gets there so the charging circuit eventually dies a death

OP
OP
cbrown1360

cbrown1360

Free Member
Aug 24, 2015
Lymington
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2014
Is there a risk the alternator will be damaged if the battery is not taking a charge?

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Problem diagnosed as a faulty charger - fan not working. Now replaced and all OK (for the time being)........
Great news.

Don't want to pour come on your cornflakes but I had a similar event and once I replaced the charger the battery started venting and set the smoke alarm off.. when I went out to the van the battery was bubbling over and releasing a horrible gas .. turned out the dead battery had killed the old charger but the new one was made of sterner stuff and almost could have lost me the van. I would be careful and check your battery condition before leaving it unattended

OP
OP
cbrown1360

cbrown1360

Free Member
Aug 24, 2015
Lymington
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2014
Great news.

Don't want to pour come on your cornflakes but I had a similar event and once I replaced the charger the battery started venting and set the smoke alarm off.. when I went out to the van the battery was bubbling over and releasing a horrible gas .. turned out the dead battery had killed the old charger but the new one was made of sterner stuff and almost could have lost me the van. I would be careful and check your battery condition before leaving it unattended
Exactly the same thing happened to us on a site in Germany last year. Went out for the day leaving the van on EHU. On returning, smoke alarm was sounding and terrible smell in van. Opened up battery compartment and battery was "boiling" with the potential for fire / explosion. This incident almost certainly led to the premature demise of my charger one year later as referred to in this post. Always very cautious now when leaving van on EHU!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
This incident almost certainly led to the premature demise of my charger one year later as referred to in this post.

Yes indeed, as reported by A and N Caravan services, almost all failures of the Schaudt Elektroblok are down to batteries past their best.. and not 240v mains issues.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back