Mains Air Compressor advice needed

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by golly, Apr 14, 2014.

1. golly

golly Funster

I was thinking of getting a mains air compressor for home, just to use for tyre inflating, and maybe using with a nail gun accessory. I know absolutely nothing about these things but I'm sure some of you guys do. I just want a farley basic compressor, and was looking at this type of thing http://www.screwfix.com/p/stanley-8...ressor-with-5-piece-accessory-kit-240v/48089# Would this be good enough for the very light use it would get, if not what sort of spec should I be looking for (don't want to spend a fortune):Laughing:

John

2. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

the one you linked to would be fine, or keep an eye open for the one that aldi and lidl sell. it costs about £60 and comes with a 3 year warranty. at the same time they sell all manner of air tools under £20 each. ive had one of these for years and have also got the nail gun, which is an excellent tool

i have built all sorts of things with it from fences to recladding a shed. saves a huge amount of work

3. golly

golly Funster

Thanks for that, I looked at the Aldi ones last time they had them and nearly bought one, but by the time I persuaded myself I needed one there was none left :cry:

4. Mastercamper

Mastercamper Read Only Funster

Couldn`t agree more.
    When I was working I had a large compressor in the workshop, but for many years used the Aldi 7 Cu ft machine for day to day work. Never let me down, and was easily transportable. I now use it for the same purposes that you require it for. Indispensable, as are the air tools that they occasionally sell. Perfectly adequate for normal use. Go for it.

5. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

The critical figure is cubic feet per minute or litres per minute that it can compress.

If you buy a 4cu/ft gadget and stick in on a 2 cu/ft compressor it won't run for long.

So really you look at the gadgets and match the compressor to them.

6. davejen

davejen Funster

I got the Stanley one from screwfix a while ago, quite good , I have only used it for topping up the tyres on the M/H , did it no probs. Decent output too.
    Cheers, Dave:thumb:

7. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

and, with a couple of exceptions (nail gun and tyre inflator), NONE of the Aldi accessories are suitable for their compressor.

The compressors capacity and delivery isnt enough for such as air rachets, air nibblers and impact guns....even the nail gun must be used in moderation, you cant just bang away like a machine gun.