Main water tank level when touring? (1 Viewer)

Swift

Banned
Sep 13, 2010
Funster No
I have been told that on my Swift Kontiki 645 you should never travel with a full tank of water as they are prone to spilling/over flowing, so if you are off for a few days wild camping what would you consider as a safe level to fill to, I don't want to be flooded.

I have checked and I have caps on the top of the tank, they look secure but I don't want to take any risks going rund a corner and it a load sploshing out :Eeek:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
If it's anything like our tank there is a big access cap on the top, a filler pipe going in, a draw off pipe coming out, an emptying pipe at the base and an overflow. The last two shouldn't matter because they release the water outside the van. If the seals on the others are properly fitted and there are no splits in the pipes there shouldn't be a problem should there?

We did have a problem with ours a few years ago because of a split in the filler pipe but replacing that solved it. Now if I overfill or there is any leakage when travelling it is just from the overflow so no problem.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
you shouldnt have a problem with water loss no matter how full.

we always travelled with a full tank on the outward journey in the kontiki

OP
OP
S

Swift

Banned
Sep 13, 2010
Funster No
I would have thought it would more stable full rather than three quarters full and sloshing about. I usually travel nearly empty and fill up when I arrive, roof box seem a good idea as long as the kids can carry the jerry cans up ::bigsmile:

Just waiting to see if anyone has had a leak running full :winky:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Always ran full in my Kontiki never had any probs
still run full now with the RV

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
No reason why not - but my two penneth - I always recommend to travel with a quarter tank....this is for customer economics, and the local topology.

We have the wonderful A30 - up and down, up and down...seriously, you can burn 1/2 tank (diesel) doing 75 miles of A30, and the other 1/2 tank will last the other 250 plus!

So to keep weight down for hills, speed and economy - quarter tank is enough to do any washing up/hands whilst travelling and saves you having to bleed the system when on site as you have already dragged it through. Don't see the pont in having extra weight on board if you don't need to.

Personal choice at the end of the day!:thumb:

OP
OP
S

Swift

Banned
Sep 13, 2010
Funster No
Thanks for the tip, A30, know it well, we had some time in Cornwall in the van earlier in the year, a bit windy on the West side though :Eeek:

I bought a device that you drive over one wheel at a time and it calculates your total weight, pretty scary and has made me economise on non essential stuff, fluids being a major weight :winky:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
It depends on what you are doing. If you are just going to sites in the UK then travel with an empty tank and fill up as you arrive.

If you are wild camping or going to Europe then fill up at every opportunity.

There shouldn't be any reason at all other than fuel economy not to travel with a full tank.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Spending most of the last twenty years living "off site" in my van of the day, my very first rule to myself is to fill up with water when ever possible.

Water is the most important element in my life on the road... I can exist quite some time with no diesel, no gas or no electricity but no water and I am in trouble..

I am willing to pay the extra cost of always having as much water on board as possible.

JJ :Cool:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, we had a Swift Kontiki 650 and that used to loose water out the over flow, we found that a pain in the ****, ::bigsmile: so I put a valve on the over flow pipe, and that did the job. :thumb:
But you had to make sure it was open when you filled up, or you got very wet. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Bob.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We tend to travel full, I know it costs money to tote all that water. (But its our own nice spring water) but I hate arriving on site and have to immediatley faf about filling up before we get pitched, makes me feel like a tugger:Smile:

Travelling full is a small price to pay for the ability to arrive, apply handbrake, drink beer. :Smile:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I think it was Brian (Hilldweller) who pointed out on a previous thread that the weight of a full water tank is relatively small in comparison to the weight of the vehicle and its other contents so effect on fuel usage isn't all that significant.

We tend to travel full for similar reasons to Jim.

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
We have a Kontiki 645 and never had any problems, when wilding it always start off with full tank, we're off tomorrow, we shall have a full tank, enough for 4-5 days, so Scotjimland, Jan and Chas come down for a coffee:thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Last year on the way home from Croatia we got so desperate I had to pull in to an Aldi's and BUY 4 x 5 litre bottles of water.. Mind you, at €1.25 per 5 ltrs it was not TOO painful.

But yes, agree with others.. for economy travel with a 1/4 tank, if going in to the unknown, travel full.. The extra fuel costs are proly minimal :Smile:

OP
OP
S

Swift

Banned
Sep 13, 2010
Funster No
We have a Kontiki 645 and never had any problems, when wilding it always start off with full tank, we're off tomorrow, we shall have a full tank, enough for 4-5 days, so Scotjimland, Jan and Chas come down for a coffee:thumb:

Thanks, mind at rest now :thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland

thanks.. will pop down for a shower and drink all your tea... ours is metered :roflmto:

BTW.. you are always welcome to pop by and replenish said tank at our house.. I sell it cheap :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
S

Swift

Banned
Sep 13, 2010
Funster No
Sound theory but the numbers don't back it up.

3500kg of vehicle.
100kg of water.

How much is that going to murder economy ?

I must say I do notice a difference between having my wife or girlfriend in mine, fuel figures much better with girlfriend. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back