Main Battery

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by ShiftZZ, May 10, 2009.

1. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

Had a flat battery yesterday and my "multi use" yellow box failed to help.

Called the RAC and they turned up and used a very small booster unit to get me going. Vey impressed. I should have asked for the make and type...

Any suggestions ?

Ta

ShiftZZ

2. sinbad1

sinbad1 Deleted User

3. Gonewiththewind

Gonewiththewind Read Only Funster

Have a look at Maplin.
    Portable 12V Jump Starter
    only £24.99

:Rofl1:

4. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Anyone with one of those yellow battery boosters should be aware, to be of any use they need to be kept on charge almost 24/7, Im sure someone will come on and say well mine dont, to that i would say good luck and hang on to it:RollEyes:
    the AA and "proper" trade versions cost aprox £250-£350 and will hold aprox 20-30 jump starts between charges,also aprox survive 3 months without use and still work
    so you will understand why the Chineese £24.99 arnt really upto the job:Doh:
    Geo

5. Boo

Boo Read Only Funster

Got mine from Liddl's for £19.99....................does the job so long as you keep it fully charged like Geo said.

My friend bought one at the same time...............he thought it would be a good idea to keep it plugged into his cig lighter in his car..................he text me the next day to tell me it flattened his battery............so I said "It's a good job you put it on charge so that you had the power to start it" he agreed :Rofl1:

You couldn't write this stuff lololol!

Bless him, he can't help being from London :Wink:

Boo

P.S. I did explain the problem later to him :thumb:

6. New Rover

New Rover Read Only Funster

Isn't it funny that good advice like George's only comes after you have bought the thing. Ah well, never mind eh!

7. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Yes But where was help for me when I bought Two:cry:thinking after the first one they cant all be crap:Doh:
    kept at home on charge they will be ok for 95% of the time, charge it, throw it in the boot for the next emergancy, forget it:shout:
    even in the RV I have one permanently on charge, except for when I need it, then I find it was unplugged 3 days ago and is flat:Blush:
    Geo

8. 45eEver

45eEver Read Only Funster

You could try charging your el-cheapo starter doofer via a small inverter that only pulls in when the engine is switched on.

Not much help when you've left your MH parked a while though.

Apart from that, bearing in mind that Misty Murph jump started a big V8 from a Smart car battery, howzabout a small car battery, but remember to recharge it once a month.

If you are happy to flash some cash, a Red Top Battery makes a good starter doofer, but even they have to be charged every now and again.

Then there's the other route, jump off your leisure batteries.
    Assuming they are the sort that are happy to do the job, depends on their combined max output amperage.

9. davetthedon

davetthedon Read Only Funster

Just for a laugh....

I had occasion to use my sit-on lawnmower a couple of years ago to jump start my wifes merc. Hows that for one-upmanship!! :Rofl1: I got the idea from using the merc to start the lawn mower before it had a new battery the previous year. :RollEyes: