Main battery going flat

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Gollom, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Gollom

Gollom Funster

When I first got Hetty I could leave for 2-3 weeks and she would start "on the button" with no problems at all. Since my stepson wired a plug socket in for me it does not seem to hold charge anymore beyond a few days. Could this be connected? I had assumed that the red charger box I can see not only kept the leisure batteries charged (which seem fine) but also kept the main battery topped up when on mains.

Just coincidence, or could a relay or charger have blown somewhere?

Thanks

2. xsparks

xsparks Funster

Without more details it would be difficult to know.Was it a mains socket or 12volts? I would suggest going to as was and see what results you get.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Yes I'll go along with this but also mention that cold weather takes it's toll on battery power, something like 50% is lost @ zero degrees or something like that.
    We have lads on here that are very well up on batteries. (y)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Flamenca

Flamenca Funster Life Member

My Hymer mains charger whilst on EHU only charges the leisure batteries. I believe most Hymers of this age are the same. A solution might be fitting a 'Battery Master'.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gollom

Gollom Funster

Was a mains socket

Hmmmmm. Something like this? https://www.roadpro.co.uk/retail/12...attery-control-products/battery-master-79.htm

6. xsparks

xsparks Funster

Check breakers and security of connections within the disturbed wiring .check for continuity of wires. No disrespects but how compitant is your stepson?

7. Gollom

Gollom Funster

None taken. Fairly newly qualified but the wiring colours caused a lot of confusion at first as they seemed to be a German specs, so he read up on the standards (someone on here was kind enough to give guidance. Due MOT very shortly so I'll get an auto-electrician to take a look

8. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

unlikley to be his wiring unless he has disconnected part of the charging circuit

• Like Like x 1
  9. Flamenca

Flamenca Funster Life Member

Not the one I was thinking of. Mine is rated at 4 amps rather than the device sold by Roadpro which is only 2 amps. I bought it on eBay. The following is the link for the device being sold in Italy but occassionaly you see them from a UK supplier.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/csb2-dispositivo-cbe-ricarica-batteria-camper-secondaria-device-for-charging-/171543974411?hash=item27f0d1520b:g:NtwAAOSwYshUZ9~F

• Like Like x 1