M'aidez II - the awning (1 Viewer)

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Second cry for help from France - we used our Thule Omnistor awning for the first time today - at handover we were shown how to wind it out, but didn't test it fully! Came to wind it back, and the handle rotates once, then sticks. Really don't want to force it further! The only think I can think of is that we wound it out too far? But again, we didn't force it - just wound it out until the fabric was taut. We've given up and left it out oivernight, but am stuck as to how to pack it away. Any Funsters come up with a fix for me?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
That last turn that locks it can be a bit hard, If nothing is obviousy stopping it from closing, try a bit harder and it should lock. :fingers crossed:

OP
OP
E
Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Eeeh, bit nervous about trying it any harder! Feels really solid resistance. Are they usually this difficult then? Knew we should have gone through the whole process at handover...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
install and user instructions for all the omnistor awnings can be downloaded here
http://www.thule.com/en/GB/Products/RV-Accessories/Awnings

its a few years since i last owned an omnistor, only because all the vans since have come fitted with fiamma models. from memory, you wind the awning out then wind back a bit to tension and lock in place. releasing it takes a bit more presure than you might think. thats a reason older winding handles can have a bit of a twist in them

if leaving the awning/canopy up unattended, whether overnight or in the day, always strap it down tight using the frame, not across the fabric as i have seen several times. do it wrong and a gust of wind can easily tear the fabric or turn it into a sail. not good

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Second cry for help from France - we used our Thule Omnistor awning for the first time today - at handover we were shown how to wind it out, but didn't test it fully! Came to wind it back, and the handle rotates once, then sticks. Really don't want to force it further! The only think I can think of is that we wound it out too far? But again, we didn't force it - just wound it out until the fabric was taut. We've given up and left it out oivernight, but am stuck as to how to pack it away. Any Funsters come up with a fix for me?
Morning Ericonabike,

I hope that you either managed to wind the awning in, or strapped it down securely for the night. Awnings can be temperamental when not used or maintained regularly.
The first wind out from it's box can be quite dramatic, ie, nothing initially then bang, out it comes. It has to be supported as soon as possible, so I'd suggest about a third of the way out before unlocking and extending the legs. Once completely wound out, (moving the legs at each stage to provide ample support), locking the two elbow joints, the material can be made taught by rewinding the mechanism a few degrees, without actually moving the frame.
Before winding back in, move each leg inward by a couple of feet or so, (and again at each stage), thereby providing maximum support for the heavy awning. Like the initial wind out, the wind in may require that initial extra effort of rotation on the handle.
The advice from Omnistor/Thule at their factory in Mennen, is to give the handle a good sharp last turn, once the frame has returned to it's storage box. This is to lock the frame into it's box.
The downside of that is that earlier geared mechanisms were made from plastic/nylon, and either wear or fail prematurely. Because of the problems we had with the frame not seating fully in it's box, our mechanism was replaced with the newer metal geared one, whilst at the factory.
Apparently, nothing other than silicone spray should be used to lubricate all the working parts, as well as the two locating slide plates, ie, one on the frame, and one on the box.

Good luck,

Jock.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E
Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
thanks all! Tried the awning this morning, not expecting any result, and it went back in first time! No idea why this time and not last night. Good advice re lashing it down etc also, much obliged.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back