allie sommerville

Free Member
Dec 30, 2009
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
conversion
Exp
Has anyone mentioned going to the Pegasus Bridge?
It was the first liberated bridge, although not the original, but you still get the sense of history there.
The cafe next to it (often seen in pics of the liberation) is still there though.

Also the BlocHaus at Eperlecques (sp?) near St Omer, where the Germans intended to launch rockets from - but thankfully was bombed by the Allies before they could!

allie sommerville

Free Member
Dec 30, 2009
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
conversion
Exp
uhu, a queue for 45 minutes and back out in 10

And if its really a Maidentrip, i would stay closer at home
Troubles are in France harder to deal with

Should be ok this time of year though :Smile:

I think it's their first time abroad not first time anywhere!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jill
Jan 19, 2010
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
Hi ,
How did it go.
We are off end of June 1st time so would love to know where you thought worth visiting and what sites/aires you used in N France .
Cheers
W

Hi Honey. We're hoooome!! :shout:

Hi folks, had a good time. Haven't had much time to get on here til now...

Arrived at the tunnel early and a nice lady put us on an earlier train so we arrived in France 08.20 in the morning. Straight to Cite Europe to get some wine then on our way.

Used the Aire at Calais to empty the pooper (quite smelly - not our pooper, the borne at the aire:roflmto:).

1st night - Rang du Fliers (quite a nice site in the ACSI book, 20 Euro for 3 inc EHU). About 50 miles south of Calais on the D940, did a bit of cycling.

2nd night - Aire at St Valery en Caux, gorgeous little town. Aire was free, but tokens for the borne were 3 Euro available from the beautiful Maison de Henri IV and TIC . We didn't have a token but a kind German couple loaned us one until we got ourselves sorted.

Travelled via Dieppe (failed to find the Decathlon store in Dieppe) down to Le Havre, staying on the D940. Found Decathlon in Le Havre - spent lots. Over the Pont du Normandie (wow!) and towards Caen.

3rd & 4th nights - Cote de Nacre at St Aubin Sur Mer. Again out of the ACSI book. 22 Euro per night for a fully serviced pitch. Immaculate toilet block - great site for families. Cycled from the site to Omaha Beach along the coast road through Arromanches. A very moving experience, the Visiter Centre at the American Cemetary alone was well worth the 55 mile round trip (didn't look that far on the map :whatthe:). On the way back to St Aubin we stopped at the viewpoint above Arrromanches and went into the 360 cinema.

5th night - decided to start making our way back a different route. Saw Pegasus bridge. Accidently found the Aire at La Mailleraye sur Seine. What a fab place. 5 Euro a night and 3 Euro for the token for the borne (we had a spare from before). Boys went for a bike ride.

Our last night - Headed for an Aire at Audreselles but it's no longer as stated in the Aires book. MHs are now prohibited and the aire is now inside the campsite at 6.60 per night. It was closed when we arrived and we didn't want to park and wait so moved on to the Municipal camp site in Wissant a bit further up the coast. This cost 16 Euro for the 3 of us without electric. I thought this was a bit ropey for the price and thankfully didn't need to use the toilet block. (Have since learned there is a newish aire on the outskirts of Wissant - we drove past and it looked like a rally of some sort :Doh:)

Set of in search of fuel the next morning and had a bit of a fright when my card was refused at an automated Intermarche (display showed 40 miles to empty and I was silently panicing) anyway couple of miles down the road a Carrefour took my card willingly and we filled up at 1.13 a litre:thumb:.

I can't wait to do it again, though if we're on limited time agin I think we'd plan the trip more and have an itinery to work to. The thing I will remember most is getting lost - every day - 3or 4 times a day but it was brillient. ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

sue1959

Free Member
Feb 11, 2010
Ireland
Funster No
Exp
non as yet, hired in Canada a couple of times. hope to buy in the next few years.
I quite like getting lost cos you get to see places you would never have thought of going to and usually are well worth visiting.

OP
OP
Jill
Jan 19, 2010
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
I quite like getting lost cos you get to see places you would never have thought of going to and usually are well worth visiting.

Oh, I wasn't complaining, but with the Garmin and and all th emaps I brought I don't htink we sould have gone off track QUITE so often :ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sue1959

Free Member
Feb 11, 2010
Ireland
Funster No
Exp
non as yet, hired in Canada a couple of times. hope to buy in the next few years.
And I'm only jealous Jill:Blush: My husband says I always get us lost at least once but I blame it on his hearing not my navigation!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back