Jan 19, 2010
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
Hi,

After 2 1/2 years with a MH we're finally off to France on the 12th April for 6 days. Tunnel's booked courtesy of Tescos (£35 in deals vouchers and £10 cash - good innit!) for an earlyish crossing. My Garmin is loaded with POIs. I've got my CCI, Acsi card & book and all the aires book. Oh, and my phrase book :roflmto:

We don't have an itinery other than to follow our noses and stop where we fancy although Hubby would like to see the landing beaches and war museums. We're bringing the bikes and wetsuits/body boards.

Can anyone suggest a 'must see' or a 'must do' for the Normandy Region.

I'm sooo excited, I've started counting sleeps. ::bigsmile:

Thanks

Jill

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi,

After 2 1/2 years with a MH we're finally off to France on the 12th April for 6 days.
Jill

Well that took you long enough.

Just enjoy and if you see the municipal camp site symbols in any town when you need to stop then use them, usually top quality and cheap.

Your friend is Mr LeClerc for cheap fuel, don't buy on motorways.

You'll soon be regretting your long delay.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Jill

With only 6 days available I would head straight down to Honfleur. Crossing the Pont de Normandie is an experience and at this time of year you should have no problems finding a place on the aire at Honfleur. Honfleur is a nice town and is well worth a visit in its own right. From there you can drive along the coast road at your leisure and visit Pegasus Bridge and the WW2 beaches. Perhaps you could fit in a visit to Bayeaux to see the tapestry. Mont St Michel is also a must visit place if you have time.
Safe travels and enjoy your trip.

Brisey

OP
OP
Jill
Jan 19, 2010
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007

Just enjoy and if you see the municipal camp site symbols in any town when you need to stop then use them, usually top quality and cheap.

I know, I know.........

We've driven & flown to France for holidays quite a few times over the years which made it all the more frustrating - knowing what's over there but being unable to find the time.

We've 2 main problems: our business, which we don't feel we can leave for too long in one go and our 17 year old who developed a deep hatred for the MH as soon as we had it. (Although he'd camped with us in a tent virtually since birth!).

Anyway, due to the fact the boys' holidays now overlap misery guts is back in school on the 11th and my youngest is off for another week so off we toddle. :thumb:

Thanks for your advice

Jill

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hi,

After 2 1/2 years with a MH we're finally off to France on the 12th April for 6 days. Tunnel's booked courtesy of Tescos (£35 in deals vouchers and £10 cash - good innit!) for an earlyish crossing. My Garmin is loaded with POIs. I've got my CCI, Acsi card & book and all the aires book. Oh, and my phrase book :roflmto:

We don't have an itinery other than to follow our noses and stop where we fancy although Hubby would like to see the landing beaches and war museums. We're bringing the bikes and wetsuits/body boards.

Can anyone suggest a 'must see' or a 'must do' for the Normandy Region.

I'm sooo excited, I've started counting sleeps. ::bigsmile:

Thanks

Jill

Jill
We stopped at Juno Beach in Normandy right out side one of the museums as there are many Museums all in walking distance and a very nice beach...address Voie des Francais Libres...about 100yds from a tank with the inscription painted on the tank "One Charlie" ( no not charlie one)..there is a long single car park along the front where we and many other motorhomes stopped over night....I think it is a day park ....we called in June and at least 50 other motorhomes stopped the night.... with the police passing....and nobody was mooved on.......see Photos
Enjoy your trip to France and have a good Holiday

Mel:thumb:

Attachments

• P6210044.jpg
    P6210044.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 74
  • P6210057.jpg
    P6210057.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 68
  • P6210065.jpg
    P6210065.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 83
  • P6210066.jpg
    P6210066.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 80
  • P6210064.jpg
    P6210064.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 74

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Jill
We stopped at Juno Beach in Normandy right out side one of the museums as there are many Museums all in walking distance and a very nice beach...address Voie des Francais Libres...about 100yds from a tank with the inscription painted on the tank "One Charlie" ( no not charlie one)..there is a long single car park along the front where we and many other motorhomes stopped over night....I think it is a day park ....we called in June and at least 50 other motorhomes stopped the night.... with the police passing....and nobody was mooved on.......see Photos
Enjoy your trip to France and have a good Holiday

Mel:thumb:

A couple more photos

Well Jill ..looking at your thread you are better prepared than CHURCHILL was, for when you invade the Normandy Beaches.......

Mel hardhat:helpsos:

Attachments

• P6210073.jpg
    P6210073.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 44
  • P6210060.jpg
    P6210060.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 43
  • P6210050.jpg
    P6210050.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 47
  • P6210062.jpg
    P6210062.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 45
  • P6210013.jpg
    P6210013.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 41

tick59

Free Member
Dec 25, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
"Since 2005"
You can stay overnight in the car park above the cliffs where the museam is at the Normandy Landings.Just make sure you pay your parking fee and this covers you for 24 hrs.::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
A couple more photos

Well Jill ..looking at your thread you are better prepared than CHURCHILL was, for when you invade the Normandy Beaches.......

Mel hardhat:helpsos:

The dark patches in the distance I think are the Oyster beds.....and the dark patches in the front is the Mulberry floating harbour they took across for the ships tanks and millitary vehicles :Eeek:

The French Freedom Cross
"Juno" was the The Canadian 3rd division beach landing

And the British Beach landing was "Gold beach"

mel:thumb:

Attachments

• P6210029.jpg
    P6210029.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 25
  • P6210023.jpg
    P6210023.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 26
  • P6210016.jpg
    P6210016.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 24
  • P6210048.jpg
    P6210048.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 23
  • P6210047.jpg
    P6210047.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 24
Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
A must do you asked? ok here you are.... repeat after me:

Je m'appelle Jill , je suis anglaise et ..... au secours :shout: je suis perdue!!!! (help, i'm lost!):ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Once you know that one you don't need your phrase book anymore :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I know i'm being cheeky:Blush::Blush::Blush: sorry was feeling like laughing a bit , you don't mind do you?::bigsmile::winky:

HAVE A VERY NICE TRAVEL!!!:winky::winky::winky:

Amicalement

Frankie::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Jill
Jan 19, 2010
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
A must do you asked? ok here you are.... repeat after me:

Je m'appelle Jill , je suis anglaise et ..... au secours :shout: je suis perdue!!!! (help, i'm lost!):ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Once you know that one you don't need your phrase book anymore :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I know i'm being cheeky:Blush::Blush::Blush: sorry was feeling like laughing a bit , you don't mind do you?::bigsmile::winky:

HAVE A VERY NICE TRAVEL!!!:winky::winky::winky:

Amicalement

Frankie::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Gosh no - but get it right - je suis galloise avec un Garmin :thumb:

Jill

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Gosh no - but get it right - je suis galloise avec un Garmin :thumb:

Jill

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Stupid french who always put all in the same bag:Doh:: english irish welsh scottish and english!!:roflmto:... now i'll repeat after you: i'm welsh with a garmin:thumb::thumb: that will teach me:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: at least a good laugh has no language :Cool:

Tell your garmin you're going to France not to Belgium .... sometimes machines just understand "french country" and don't make the difference!

Safe travel Jill!!

Amicalement

Frankie::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Haaamster

Free Member
Sep 15, 2009
Coventry and Liverpool
Funster No
MH
Ducato CI 1000
Exp
I don't have a Tesco card but it sounds like I should get one, I have just had a quote for a similar trip £104. How is it much cheaper with a clubcard?

OP
OP
Jill
Jan 19, 2010
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
I don't have a Tesco card but it sounds like I should get one, I have just had a quote for a similar trip £104. How is it much cheaper with a clubcard?

Every time I shop at tescos (& top up my mobile & buy fuel there) I get 1 point for every £1 spent. Every 1/4 they send me a statement with coupons to the value of points accrued (I usually get around £20). These coupons can be spent at face value in Tescos or they can be exchanged for deals vouchers. Each £1 in coupons is worth £4 on a deal.

My spending in the last couple of months is a 12 month subscription to a magazine (£13.50 in vouchers), 4 day tickets to Thorpe Park (£9.00 each in vouchers) and my Eurotunnel booking (£35.00 in vouchers plus a balance of £10.00 paid by card)

Definately worth doing. :thumb::thumb:

Jill

Oct 23, 2009
Anglesey North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2010
Will do. I've got a little note book ready for my jottings.

Jill

Hi ,
How did it go.
We are off end of June 1st time so would love to know where you thought worth visiting and what sites/aires you used in N France .
Cheers
W

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi ,
How did it go.
W

Looks like One of our Vans is Missing.

A little bit of France that will be forever England.

Never, in the field of MHfun was so much owed by so many to so few.

Jim is organising a memorial service in Westminster. Loudspeakers outside for those who cannot get in. We are all expected to attend.

burybobz

Free Member
Apr 15, 2010
Rock #3
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
None but working on it!
Looks like One of our Vans is Missing.

A little bit of France that will be forever England.

Never, in the field of MHfun was so much owed by so many to so few.

Jim is organising a memorial service in Westminster. Loudspeakers outside for those who cannot get in. We are all expected to attend.

:Smile:

We're heading that way soon enough, will keep all senses on high alert for MHMIAs :winky:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
:Smile:

We're heading that way soon enough, will keep all senses on high alert for MHMIAs :winky:

Take care, they know no mercy.

If you see where one of our chaps bought it, plant a leek for them. They will always be in our minds.

We will never surrender.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

You know a bargain when you see one Brian:Cool:.....I always use " Mr LeClerc for cheap fuel" then Intermarche.....the " Musketeers":sin:...then Super U

Mel :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back