mac users please (1 Viewer)

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
apple products mac book 13" pro link http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook_pro?mco=MTU3MjI5ODU

1 do apple computers allow picasa use
( that is where my photos are stored on my laptops/computers)

2 do they start up and run without having to update continuosly
(like my microsoft puters driven do)

3 are they prone to hacking less than m/soft

4 is there a need to fiddle with settings as i am not keen on medling just click and go

i am not intersted in should i go mac or microsoft my head begins to ache with microsoft
and am now nearly willing to commit a kings ransome for one
saying that you could buy 2 fair speckeed laptops for the price

and as it wont go away in the van was considering the 13"mac air but it comes less a cd/dvd drive although it uses i phone/pad which makes it quick to turn on

thanks in advance for your help:Eeek::thumb:

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
l too was sick and tired of fiddling with my old computer, updating this, updating that, once l went on holiday and came back to 39 e-mails. 2 genuine, and 37 junk. Then l bought a mac book around 4 years ago. Amazing! It works just fine, no viruses, junk, and all the other crap that goes with others. A marvelous bit of kit in my opinion. Its still used each and every day, no problems, breakdowns, freezing, or anything else. It does everything l ever wanted in a computer.

Craig.

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
1 do apple computers allow picasa use
( that is where my photos are stored on my laptops/computers)
Yes - Link Removed

2 do they start up and run without having to update continuosly
(like my microsoft puters driven do)
Yes although it will check for updates. Start up is really quick.

3 are they prone to hacking less than m/soft
Yes, but this does not mean then cannot be comprised. I don't use any AV pursay on my my mac, but I have got ClamXav Sentry which checks for virus file that could be passed onto a PC.

4 is there a need to fiddle with settings as i am not keen on medling just click and go
Fairly straight forward. Some things will need setting up depending on how you use it. For example setting up a home network with PCs.

I use both PC and have a MBPro 13. If you are used to PCs, it does take a little getting used too. Useful site here for starters http://www.apple.com/uk/support/switch101/

Good luck with whatever you decide. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JohnH

Free Member
Jan 5, 2009
Southport
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
+14
Hi Tofo,
I was a computer software engineer on, among others, Windows. Thankfully, I use a Macintosh and never have to touch the settings. When I got it out of the box it recognised the wifi router and asked did I want to log in, keyed in the password and it has worked ever since. I still have to maintain my wife's pc and my neighbour also asks for help occasionally. My Mac just keeps running. No blue screen. Occasional updates which have never upset the Mac and I just enjoy using iPhoto, iMovies and iDVD.
Make the change and you will never look back.
John

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Been a happy Mac owner for more than ten years. ::bigsmile:

Currently using a G4 17" Powerbook bought in 2005 , daughter using my previous one , a 13" iBook bought in 2003 .. both still going strong but my 17" screen now has a one pixel vertical line that may be a sign it is going to fail :cry:

I also have a 12" Sony with windows Vista that I foolishly bought in 2007 for travelling .. it now languishes is a cupboard. Cost about £1,200 , now wish I had bought another Mac.. :Sad:

I look after and maintain my wife's Dell .. that keeps me busy when I get bored of the Mac just doing as it should .. :roflmto:

I promise you you won't regret buying one , it will take a bit of getting used to but it's very user friendly .. you will be up and running as soon as you fire it up.

I've always purchased direct from Apple but only recently found out that John Lewis sell them with a TWO year warranty at no extra cost ..

Now saving up for a new Powerbook :Smile:

Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Motorhoming since 2006, 30 years tent camping in Africa
As a family we've run Macs for several years now. We've also helped a number of people to make the transition - have found that far more people move from PC to Mac than the other way. Once you get used to Mac it just works.

We have found that Parallels is the best way to transition to Mac. It allows you to run Windows on your Mac - and it doesn't mean you boot into one or the other - you actually run Windows in your Mac. That way you can still run the odd program in Windows that you may need.

See here:
http://www.parallels.com/uk/products/desktop/

Why choose between the two? Run both using Parallels. That way when you need to use a program that only runs on Windows you can.

Rog

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
For work I have to use a PC...

...but whenever possible, I use a Mac. Buying one back in 1999 was one of the best decisions I've ever made. They're not perfect but they work more like you expect a computer should. More intuitive.

And to follow-up the post from Ivys, I use Link Removed to run Windows on my Mac laptop, which allows me to take my Windows-only development tools on the road. It's free (other than the copy of Windows you have to buy) but not as slick as Parallels - for what I use though it's fine.

Less security issues (for now) but IMHO they're not as well built as they should be or used to be...or maybe I've just been unlucky.

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
I work for myself and have a PC for work and a Macbook 13" for fun. If I could afford it I would go completely Mac and I certainly will when it's time to upgrade the office machine. Worth every penny of the extra cost. The Macbook just opens and is ready to go. I bought Microsoft office for mac because I need to be able to read and edit other people's stuff and sometimes work when I'm away in the MH but the Mac equivalent is just as good I'm told.
Go for it - well worth it.
Mags

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
Pc users accuse mac users of falling for the religion, well yes macs do become a religion. I can strip a pc down, analyze it, repair it, build it, what ever. I can do non of this with a mac as you do not need to ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

I have Imacs for business but for the van I have a 12 inch ibook that cost £112 from ebay. Its ideal for viewing the net. I also have a 17inch sony vaio but its so noisy, it takes an age to switch on and I really must get around to selling it.

stew

Dec 7, 2009
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Since Dec 2009
We have a Macbook Pro 15" that is 4 years old and use it daily. We had to replace the battery a couple of years ago. It managed to survive a hot (full) mug of tea over the keyboard - dried it out and switched it back on - it never missed a beat! Although that incident taught us to back up our data regularly!!

We bought a Macbook Pro 13" a couple of months ago purely because the old Macbook could not support the iphone 4 (it is running on Tiger). So now we have one each!!!!!

Microsoft Office for Mac installed on both. I use windows at work (reluctantly!) but all my documents are compatible between the two systems.

I love the Macs and would never go back to Windows! Worth the extra money without doubt!

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
MacBook pro 13" laptop

Hi Tofu. You will not regret buying a mac. fantastic. My lady got me 1 years " One to one" a package from apple that lets you go back to the store of you choice for 1 hour at a time tutorials with an apple person who answers all your probs and queries etc. it cost £79 extra and had to be got at the time but its great.The mac just works. ! ! !

OP
OP
tofo
Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
as an update of current position

there was an offer giving £81;00 discount till midnight