Mac G4 save files to PC, how??

Discussion in 'Computers' started by olley, Jun 24, 2014.

1. olley

olley Funster

Hi guys found my daughters old Powerbook G4 and by reseating the ram I have got it to fire up, now although she doesn't want the computer (saw the light and got a PC :BigGrin:) she does want the pictures around 53 gig, any easy way to transfer them? Its running Leopard I believe.

I have tried wifi, it sees my network but will not connect.
    USB mobile disc, doesn't connect,
    8gig usb stick, it sees that but its going to take a while to do.
    Cloud storage, my Livedrive doesn't support Leopard, and no one I think gives you 50gig for free.

Any ideas?

Ian

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Hi Ian

I did this some while ago copying my pictures on the Power Book to DVD s. then onto the PC . long winded but works. or

edit.. by any chance has she backed up the Mac files onto a drive or DVD ? If so I have a program that can read Mac files and copy to PC , called Trans Mac .

Have you tried Ethernet cable ?

not tried this myself.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQaFNgU2cBU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQaFNgU2cBU[/ame]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  3. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

On the Mac, go to 'System Preferences' (either in Applications, or click the apple logo in the top left of the top bar for the drop-down) then choose 'Sharing'. Click 'File Sharing' then click the 'Options' button. Choose 'Share Files & Folders using SMB (Windows)' then click 'Done'.

You will probably have to give the Mac permission to access a Windows group via the PC. This may mean adding the MacBook's name to the permission and possibly setting a password. You should then be able to see the Windows group from the Mac and vice-versa.

Be aware that a Mac stores files using a different format (HFS) to Windows (NTFS or FAT) but you should still be able to see the files as they follow standard jpeg rules.

4. olley

olley Funster

Nothing seems to work, I have even tried bluetooth and after getting a connection, it refused to copy. A usb 8gig stick won't work either, the Mac shows it correctly as an 8gig stick, but when I try to copy to it, it says not enough space. tried formatting using the mac, still no go. Any ideas?

Ian

5. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  6. olley

olley Funster

Hi DB that article refers to a mobile usb disc, not removing the installed HD. I have already tried a usb disc and the mac won't read it. I tried connecting them together via an RJ45 cable as the vid shows, doesn't work. I think a DVD is looking like the way to go, that's assuming the player still works.

Can you remove a mac hd and fit it into a pc?

Ian

7. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

I see no reason why not. HDs are HDs at the hardware level. The connector on an older HD will probably be an IDE, the wide plug with umpteen pins, but the PC should have these, even if they are not being used.

The Mac will have a different filing system and with one of the free utilities you should be able read it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Whatton

Whatton Read Only Funster

A cheap portable hard drive will do it in one go, and it will be useful as a back up drive afterwards.

9. 1_man_and_his_dob(lo)

1_man_and_his_dob(lo) Funster

When you tried on the Mac, which bit failed - the formatting or the copying afterwards?

10. olley

olley Funster

the copying

11. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

How about installing Dropbox on both machines?

Wyn

12. 1_man_and_his_dob(lo)

So, if you do a "Get Info" on the USB stick, is it saying that there's no available space?

No wi-fi connection, so presumably no internet connection, unless the laptop can be wired directly to a modem/router?

13. shinysideup

shinysideup Funster

Have a look at a Manhattan sata hdd dock. You remove the drive from the duff laptop. Plug the manhattan ( 30 quid ) via usb into 2nd paltop or pc , then you can read all files and back up. The manhattan wil handle all types of memory card or usb stick to cross back up. Good cheap bit of kit.

Steve.

14. olley

olley Funster

Wi-fi is fine, but it won't connect to other computers on the network, dropbox is a possibility, but I have 15gig to transfer.

15. 1_man_and_his_dob(lo)

Sorry...I misunderstood your bit at the start of this about seeing the network but not connecting.

If the laptop's on the network, then presumably you can 'ping' it from another PC? And the other way around?