Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
The very thing we're the most careful to avoid happened last evening. A glass of red wine was knocked over and a fair amount landed on our MacBook Air. I instantly turned it upside down to shake it off then dried it with paper towels. Initially it looked like it might have survived until the first thing I noticed was the wifi symbol had died and when I hovered the mouse over it the message 'no wifi installed' came up. Soon after this the screen started to flicker so I shut it down. This morning it's as dead as the proverbial door nail.

Not much to be done as were in Benidorm but fly home for ten days in January. It's 8 months old and when we purchased it from PC World we took out the, I think it was the extended maintenance package with Apple which was not cheap and I'm now hoping someone might tell me will come to be of use.

I keep hearing about how good Apple after care is...does it cover this kinda mishap? And, do I take it to PC World or need to find an Apple shop.

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
I know little or nothing about Apple kit - maybe your extended cover may help but I doubt it. Certainly most mobile phone maintenance packages specifically exclude liquid damage. You might be better looking at your MH insurance, if it covers contents. Hopefully someone with more specific knowledge will be along in a minute.

jnn

Free Member
Oct 22, 2016
cheshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion trafic
Exp
nooby
Sadly most warranties exclude liquid damage, looks as though Apple Care is the same http://www.apple.com/legal/sales-support/applecare/appmacuk.html

third of the way down the page:

"4. What is not Covered?

4.1 Hardware Service.

The Plan does not apply to:

(i) Installation, removal or disposal of the Covered Equipment, or the provision of equipment while the Covered Equipment is being serviced;

(ii) Damage caused by

(a) a product that is not the Covered Equipment,

(b) accident, abuse, misuse, liquid contact, fire, earthquake or other external cause

..."

Liquid and delicate circuitry with current in them is a bad combination, is it covered by house or camper insurance?

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
My laptop from PC World was bought with the extended insurance (not an extended guarantee). It is covered for accidental mishap as well as breakdown. Check your paperwork and hopefully it will be happy days. They do guarantee a repair in 14 days or a replacement with new.

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
Prosecco did for mine and, no, the Apple warranty doesn't cover it and basically the computer is now just a wonder of modern art and non repairable. My condolences - and I hope you had backups of the data.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Prosecco did for mine and, no, the Apple warranty doesn't cover it and basically the computer is now just a wonder of modern art and non repairable. My condolences - and I hope you had backups of the data.
I wonder if Apple would have accepted if it was cider.
64ffbec9162cf9856b1656bda5368aa0b4066b7b.jpg

Or would it need to be icider?

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Just because the machine won't fire up doesn't necessarily mean that the data is lost. If there's anything 'irreplaceable' on there then there are companies that can often retrieve it from the hard disk for a reasonable fee.

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Sadly most warranties exclude liquid damage, looks as though Apple Care is the same http://www.apple.com/legal/sales-support/applecare/appmacuk.html

third of the way down the page:

"4. What is not Covered?

4.1 Hardware Service.

The Plan does not apply to:

(i) Installation, removal or disposal of the Covered Equipment, or the provision of equipment while the Covered Equipment is being serviced;

(ii) Damage caused by

(a) a product that is not the Covered Equipment,

(b) accident, abuse, misuse, liquid contact, fire, earthquake or other external cause

..."

Liquid and delicate circuitry with current in them is a bad combination, is it covered by house or camper insurance?

Thanks for jogging my memory, yes for sure that was the plan we took out...I think it was three years worth for for something not short of a few hundred quid I seem to recal. I wonder if I can transfer the plan to my next laptop!

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Thanks for the quick responses. I wonder if a replacement is any cheaper in Spain...wasn't expecting to have to upgrade so soon!

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
If the insurance doesn't cover it then take it to an Apple Store , they might be able to repair it. You won't know if you don't try.
Not cheap bits of kit are they and a reminder for me to be careful.

Hope you get it sorted. Please update thread when you know.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Thanks for the quick responses. I wonder if a replacement is any cheaper in Spain...wasn't expecting to have to upgrade so soon!
Won't be a UK keyboard.
Why not take the opportunity to buy a proper PC.:xrofl:

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Just because the machine won't fire up doesn't necessarily mean that the data is lost. If there's anything 'irreplaceable' on there then there are companies that can often retrieve it from the hard disk for a reasonable fee.

Nothing of any importance as we hadn't really had it long enough. Inconvenient more than anything (apart from cost) Autofill on passwords etc and now just having to tap away on my phone!

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I know how gutted I would be if it were mine. I haven't had mine long either but enjoy the video editing software.
Never would have thought I would have enjoyed the mac so much.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I would try in person at an apple store they are often sympathetic and if it is repairable it will be at reasonable cost and guaranteed
They may not even charge you

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
The very thing we're the most careful to avoid happened last evening. A glass of red wine was knocked over and a fair amount landed on our MacBook Air. I instantly turned it upside down to shake it off then dried it with paper towels. Initially it looked like it might have survived until the first thing I noticed was the wifi symbol had died and when I hovered the mouse over it the message 'no wifi installed' came up. Soon after this the screen started to flicker so I shut it down. This morning it's as dead as the proverbial door nail.

I have just finished watching all of Louis Rossmann's youtube channel. He does board level repairs on On Laptops including the Macs.

https://www.youtube.com/user/rossmanngroup/featured

This one might be of interest to you.

From what I have watched, Apple won't repair your system under warranty but they will for a cost replace the damaged main board and this will cost you almost as much as the laptop cost you.

You have 3 options as I understand it.
1) Get it repaired with Apple and hope your insurance covers you or foot the bill yourself.
2) Go to an independent repairer. Look for one that offers fixed cost repairs.
3) Got to an independent repairer and ask for data recovery only. They will remove the hard drive for you and put it in an external enclosure.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
PS: I used to recommend rice. I don't anymore.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Ought to have bought a decent computer .......:xgrin: :reel:

I always used to use HP business laptops - very well built, with an antispill system under the keyboard that channelled the liquid away from the electronics. Once split a whole glass of white wine onto it - trying to work, eat and drink at the same time on a train. Just switched it off immediately and when I got to the hotel I draped it over a radiator for an hour or two and it was OK

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Have you tried pouring a glass of white wine over the keyboard and then dabbing it up with kitchen roll?

It worked for us at the weekend, only difference being .... ours was red wine on on a carpet!:xThumb:

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Our Mac book was ok, no wine, but wasn't behaving as well as we expected it too. We took it to an independent repairer that deals with Apple products, they sorted it with a Solid State hard drive (I think) cost about £200 but boy was it worth it!
It's very fast now on start up and programs and you don't get any of the hum & whine when starting up. It's a real pleasure to use now.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Take it into an Apple shop.

My wife stepped on her Mac Book pro a few years ago and they replaced it FOC*

* She is their best ever customer so I can't guarantee everyone will be treated the same.

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
A quick update.

Have had a very good conversation with Apple after raising a query on the Apple Care contact page. Just the serial number resulted in an instant call back. Lots of options given by a very helpful lady of various places I could take it in Spain. Opted to wait until we pop home for ten days in January when seven days beforehand I can make appointment at Apple shop. She was very upbeat about repair or replacement and put my mind completely at rest with no question of letting me return to Spain without a resolve! Will keep you updated.

Now have a case number and lots of information on an email.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back